NEurope
Stocka

Gates: "Nintendo is standing still online"

I agree with Gates completley. Nintendo suck at online & that's part of the reason why my next 'big' purchase is going to be a 360. (Though I just know I'm gonna have troubles getting it online).

I also don't really like the Wii at the moment...but I felt the same with the DS after the initial novelty wore off too.

Oh yeah....and the Wii memory is WAY too small (and don't say use an SD card because then the data has to be loaded back onto the Wii).

AND The VC is a rip off (especially for FX & NES games); the Americans have it okay though.

Because it's free, all we get is a very basic online system, which is crap, but Nintendo has always been about offline really, so i can't say I'm that bothered. The 360 gives a great online experience, and is probably one of the best reasons to own one. It's just a shame the Americans (most of them, anyway) have to ruin it.

Sony's is free and they have user names for you to login to. The thing is that Nintendo should of made you have some sort of name account to login. The trade of friends codes is just awful.

Hopefully when games that are online come out, they will have friends list built into the game that requires to login. IDs are much more easier than a 16digit number.

IGN UK: What would need to change to make MMOs more accessible to a console audience?

Itzik Ben Bassat: Well, obviously the mouse and keyboard for a start! That's the way you play PC games today and - well, you know that no-one thought Nintendo would come out with this controller for Wii so maybe people will come up with a way to play online games on consoles [with something like that]. That will provide a solution and I think it will take something innovative like that before we see them. But, Nintendo's online service is really very limited - you know, we talked to them about doing some online games, like the smaller ones, but yes, it's not ready to go.

IGN talking to Blizzard.

And yeah...Maybe Nintendo should make an unfree decent service if that's the problem:heh:, though it isnt.

I can't believe some people are arguing. Wii online basically doesn't exist yet. And Nintendo have had long enough to get it right.

They should charge if they can't do it any other way. We're paying enough for Virtual Console games.

Wifi is a terrible piece of shit.

It took me less then 5 mins to get on Xbox Live.

Nintendo wifi had me going to the shop to buy extra shit just to play unreliable online on a crappy service. Who cares if its free, the service is bollocks.

With xbox live, you get what you pay for and much much more.

Yeah it´s great, only annoyance i had was is that Xbox live service is limited to select countries....

But that shouldn´t stop people from saying they live in another country

Sony's is free and they have user names for you to login to. The thing is that Nintendo should of made you have some sort of name account to login. The trade of friends codes is just awful.

Hopefully when games that are online come out, they will have friends list built into the game that requires to login. IDs are much more easier than a 16digit number.

I'm i right in saying that not only is the PS3 online service is free, but you can download games like Tekken 5 HD for free??

Nintendo COMPLETELY pwn Microsoft on one aspect of online anyway - Price.

XBOX - £40 a year

Ninty - Free

XBOX - Wireless 360 to Router = £59.99

Wii - Free, or if not possible = £25.99

Xbox Live is not a necessary £40 a year like people seem to constantly point out. The silver service is free, and that gives you all of the perks of the Gold service except for online gaming. This includes downloadable demos, trailers, online leaderboards, friends list, messaging, chat, etc.

When Nintendo actually get some decent online games, only then will the price become relevant.

I'm i right in saying that not only is the PS3 online service is free, but you can download games like Tekken 5 HD for free??

I don't think Tekken 5 HD is free, as I remember some guys on about tricking your PS3 into thinking it is from Hong Kong, this would let you download Tekken 5 HD, but I know you had to have some HK dollars to do it. But you do get free online gaming and demos to download.

I don't think Tekken 5 HD is free, as I remember some guys on about tricking your PS3 into thinking it is from Hong Kong, this would let you download Tekken 5 HD, but I know you had to have some HK dollars to do it. But you do get free online gaming and demos to download.

Ok yeah, i mistook it for GT HD.

But then still, at least there is some worthwhile content, that you cannot get anywhere else. So that's nice to know.

I recall people saying it takes years to download that stuff on PS3. (not literally years, but yeah, a long time)

How about we all wait until the first online Wii game comes out before we start bashing Nintendo's online service?

I for one had my internet set up on my Wii in like 30 seconds so I don't know why you all are complaining about getting it online. Also, PC > 360 for online play any day.

They should charge if they can't do it any other way. We're paying enough for Virtual Console games.

It just clicked. We ARE paying for online with ridiculously priced VC games.

When you look at it that way, they should be able to finance an incredible online service. I have my doubts though

I don't get the idea of the friends codes. It's total crap. Basically it just means that to play you have to know someone who is already online, you should be able to log on and play anyone. Total shit. Nintendo should sort it. I think Nintendo produce the best Multipalyer games as well, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Smash Bros, Battalion Wars, but for some reason I doubt a lot of them will be online.

Yeah they certainly have the games for awesome multiplayer, no doubt about it. Super speed F-zero online please. :)

There is nothing wrong with Wifi. Unless you have a bad connection, the Wifi can work flawlessly.

Too many outside factors interfere with it. For example I used wifi at my home to connect my pc to my wireless router. The connection quality was good/great(70-85%) but for some reason it dropped out once in a while. For some slow paced games wifi works fine, but playing an fps on wireless is frustrating because of the lag.

It's not just friend codes that annoy me (although they are a big dollop of shit), it's lack of voice chat, the fact you cant send invites, you have to search and many, many more things that let Nintendo Wifi down.

And as for the price chat, it's like comparing a £100 broken VW to a fucking jet powered sports car that can fly and travel through time.

This was blown way out of proportion , I agree with Billy but some of you are really exaggerating.

I agree with Billy but some of you are really exaggerating.

About what? Just out of interest, I dont necessarily disagree, just want to understand what you mean.

About what? Just out of interest, I dont necessarily disagree, just want to understand what you mean.

I agree in the sense that Nintendo seems to be sitting on their asses, but we can't complain with an online system we haven't seen (in games) and compare it with (apparently) 5 year old Xbox Live.

Also, they can't say the entire Wi-Fi technology is shit based on personal experiences and doubtful understanding.

Xbox live was still good on the original Xbox when it first came out with Mech Assault. It had voice and friends list running fine.

Xbox live was still good on the original Xbox when it first came out with Mech Assault. It had voice and friends list running fine.

Exactly, we have to wait for the first online games.

In the end, we must never forget, it's Nintendo. Saying that they've never interested in online gaming is wrong. They've had Satellaview. And they got it right there. The problem is, Nintendo doesn't spend enough on it. If they would just get some teams going on developing only online content for the Wii it would be great. I don't feel the need for usernames, but it could be better. I think that next generation, they'll have an idea of what they're going to do with online. Right now, though, they're jsut being crap at it.

Too many outside factors interfere with it. For example I used wifi at my home to connect my pc to my wireless router. The connection quality was good/great(70-85%) but for some reason it dropped out once in a while. For some slow paced games wifi works fine, but playing an fps on wireless is frustrating because of the lag.

I have played Counterstrike on a Wifi connection and had very low latency, among the lowest, without interference, and kicked much ass without any problem at all.

Exactly, we have to wait for the first online games.

Which is out in Japan right now isn't it? The Pokemon battle game, that has more friend codes added to it. :(