NEurope
CooInTheZoo

EMA Payments (a rant)

Anyone else recieving EMA payments for attending College? Anyone else think its rediculious?

Half the time i dont get them in on time, due to some 'computer error' or whatever random excuse they make up. So i march up to the main office, scream for 5 mins and tell me i will have it within 3 working days. This happens on a friday, so then it wont go in untill wednesday.

If im sick, i have to ring up for a code or 'log number' before 10am. Call me crazy, but when your ill you dont fancy setting your alarm to get up at 9 to call the rude bitch who answers the phone (and often get the machine, therefor no number so you have to call back) anyway, that log number goes in a letter which has to be signed by parent or gardian, and then tutor, then brought back to the main office, and then payment is delayed even further while they authorise it.

and so today!! (almost finished ranting i promise) i've had the flu for a week but made it into college, the bus stop is 6 miles away, its tipping down the rain so i call them up and tell them i really cant make it in. "Sorry, you wont be recieving your EMA for a week, thats unauthorised"

*runs screaming* :shakehead !!!!!!!

Well at least you get it... you could have nothing instead.

This is true, buts it's as annoying as fuck when you have to see the EMA officers like every week just cos some fuckhead techer marked you as absent or didn't mark you at all.

yeah im happy as fuck when it comes in, its an extra £30 in my case. i think everyone who studies at college should be entitled too it. what im not happy as fuck about is when they mess you around for the most stupid reasons, i quit my job to go to college and untill i get a perminant job again that £30 is the majority of my cash for the week.

Least when you DO get it its £30 that's yours to spend on things like DVDs and games. i rarely get that these days :cry: then there's the £500 in bonuses that you get over two years which is very nice :)

Least when you DO get it its £30 that's yours to spend on things like DVDs and games...

and bus fairs too and from college, and to pay for my bloody expensive art materials :wink:

and bus fairs too and from college, and to pay for my bloody expensive art materials :wink:

that does beeeees true . . . i did science so i didn't have to buy jack all extra.

lol EMA can never seem to get it right, this exact same scenaro happend to me whilei attended both of my years at college, and the stupid form you have to fill in and get signed by every tutor, they KNOW whether or not im absent, so make me annoy my lectures to sign something half do not even feel i should get? and at least you get 30, i only got 20 lol, which i think is retarded, cos jus becuase y parents earn more cash doesnt mean they are gonna give me anymore....lol

Well at least you get it... you could have nothing instead.

Yeah, dude stop whining *Wink* - I didnt get anything, had to travel on a bus and train for an Hour and a half there, the same back.

EMA is shit. I mean, I got hardly anything from my parents, and they could not afford to fund university in any way. Still, I got no EMA through my A-levels. My friends received £30 a week, plus £100 bonuses every now and then for doing exactly the same as I did. In fact, one of them gets spoilt by his parents, he still got it.

All because my step dad has a decent job. Of which he uses to spoil HIS kids.

All because my step dad has a decent job. Of which he uses to spoil HIS kids.

Ouch! that's harsh...i think it should be taken individually not on what the parents earn but on what course the student is taking, how far they live and what they would need the money for. not by how much your parents earn.

I remember having to get my form signed every damn lesson and handing it in at the end of the week...

Anyone else think its rediculious?

I think it's ridiculous that you can get paid for doing something that's in your own best interest.

Anyone else recieving EMA payments for attending College? Anyone else think its rediculious?

Half the time i dont get them in on time, due to some 'computer error' or whatever random excuse they make up. So i march up to the main office, scream for 5 mins and tell me i will have it within 3 working days. This happens on a friday, so then it wont go in untill wednesday.

If im sick, i have to ring up for a code or 'log number' before 10am. Call me crazy, but when your ill you dont fancy setting your alarm to get up at 9 to call the rude bitch who answers the phone (and often get the machine, therefor no number so you have to call back) anyway, that log number goes in a letter which has to be signed by parent or gardian, and then tutor, then brought back to the main office, and then payment is delayed even further while they authorise it.

and so today!! (almost finished ranting i promise) i've had the flu for a week but made it into college, the bus stop is 6 miles away, its tipping down the rain so i call them up and tell them i really cant make it in. "Sorry, you wont be recieving your EMA for a week, thats unauthorised"

*runs screaming* :shakehead !!!!!!!

Yeah, stop complaining you poor parented/divorced parented wanker.

Yeah, stop complaining you poor parented/divorced parented wanker.

You sour ****.

I think it's ridiculous that you can get paid for doing something that's in your own best interest.

Damn right. I have to pay my own tuition fees (£2200) on a shitty 9 hour contract job. Not to mention paying for general car and social expenses. No free £1000 loans for me, apparently my parents earn too much. Despite my mum is retiring this year, go figure.

ok this really pisses me off. EMA is basically paying people to go to college. WTF?????? you go to college to further yourself or you get a job. why should you get paid for going to college? it is a piss take.

on the flips side you have people like my sister who is on a modern apprentership. She works 9-5 4 days a week then goes to college one day a week and she gets £30 a week for that. She doesn't get paid by the place she works the £30 is an EMA. it is a fucking joke. She should get paid by the place she works. it is almost slave labour minus the whips and chains.

my suggestion is stop EMA all together. use the money to supply the materials the students need. those in work placements should get paid properly. better all round.

I haven't been paid the £60 from the 2 weeks before christmas. If its not in tomorrow I'm gonna go kick there arse*

*note I am actually too shy to do this so will probably have a quiet word and hopefully get it sorted or cry

EMA is to get more people into further education, its part of the government trying to increase the intelligence of the people here and get people from poorer backgrounds to get interested in College and Uni as a result.

The EMA though is mostly used for bus fare and then social stuff but its their money, its scaled according to the parents annual income.

I think it's a good idea and is worth doing. It gets people to go to college and attend regularly.

How can people say its a bad thing?

ok this really pisses me off. EMA is basically paying people to go to college. WTF?????? you go to college to further yourself or you get a job. why should you get paid for going to college? it is a piss take.

on the flips side you have people like my sister who is on a modern apprentership. She works 9-5 4 days a week then goes to college one day a week and she gets £30 a week for that. She doesn't get paid by the place she works the £30 is an EMA. it is a fucking joke. She should get paid by the place she works. it is almost slave labour minus the whips and chains.

my suggestion is stop EMA all together. use the money to supply the materials the students need. those in work placements should get paid properly. better all round.

People who do these apprenticships are getting an equal level of education as people who do A Levels straight, its just different ways of learning.

It's like really good work experience and she's getting the same amount of money as a student who does around 30 hours of college a week.

Pfft, kids these days, don't even know they're born. Back in my day we weren't paid to be educated. We didn't have any of this bus malarky neither. I had to walk barefoot for 10 miles in sub zero temperatures just to get and beating from the teachers and be told the capital of Turkey and I was grateful for that one small piece of knowledge. Then I would go home, eat some gravel and head out to work for the night as a scarecrow at the local manor. Good times.

I had to get a job, which made my day 7am to 7pm some days, it burnt me out- it pisses me off because when well off parents split up the kids often get spoilt.

But because of data protection the bank details of the other parent cannot be taken into consideration.

So while I'm a pauper all these rich cocks are getting £30 a week and all the girls spend it going tanning.

I don't like that the system has nothing for extenuating circumstances, but I blagged my unreasonably priced bus pass out of the staff.

From what I understand- EMA is for people who attend every lesson at college, if you do not for say a driving test or a health appointment then a letter must be given to the people in charge.

If you turned up late or not at all you don't get it- so stop whinging when you live in a country that supports education more than it needs to. University excluded because that's a super cash cow now.

If you leave yourself dependant on EMA and don't meet their criteria (XX hours a week on time and accounted for) then boo hoo.

For some short sighted people though going to college is for smart people only- and it's a waste of time unless you go to university which isn't necessarily true.

It's a good initiative and gets a lot more diversity in colleges. It works wonders for some people- I know people who said they're gonna do stuff at my local institute because of EMA instead of working with family or friends straight out the gate.

You also have to be on something like £30,000 before tax per year to qualify for the lowest EMA which is £10.