Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) 3-year AppleCare is only £57 in store with student discount. That's three years of Genius Bar!

2) Are student discounts bigger in store? It seems that way.

I'm buying mine instore but all i know of is that i'll be at most paying what i will on the HE apple store site.

namely about £1,205

anyone actually pay to use .Mac?

Unless you're very fond of iLife there isn't really any point.

about .Mac i don't use it because you can't chose the url but i do use iWeb which is quite a nice program.

I'm sure you can put your own domain name onto it somehow...

Anyone else find that article a little bit ironic? He says that Mac users can't shut up about how much better they are, but then goes onto do exactly that but for the PC?

more costly than a laptop? or new computer? lol

how much cheaper is a refurb over a brand new one with the HE discount on it?

Looking at the "Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White" in particular (or just as an example really)

Original price: £749.00

Your price: £549.00

So with student discount it would have been £675.

And yes, more pricey than a laptop.

Looking at the MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo (and maybe buying better RAM for it too) just curious how compatible is it with stuff; namely the Western Digital External HD I've got.

Kinda want to buy it now, but I won't really need it until September.

Looking at the MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo (and maybe buying better RAM for it too) just curious how compatible is it with stuff; namely the Western Digital External HD I've got.

Kinda want to buy it now, but I won't really need it until September.

Well, my MacMini is fine with my WD HDD, though it doesn't show up on the Mac until it's looked through all it's contents. You know on windows when it comes up looking through all the data and you can cancel it? Well, the Mac forces you to wait - but it ain't bad.

You know on windows when it comes up looking through all the data and you can cancel it? Well, the Mac forces you to wait - but it ain't bad.

I'd imagine it's doing a spot of, erm, Spotlight indexing. Although I might just be wrong.

Right this is really anoying not just for me but my friend, I've been a owner of a mac book (512 ram is to low for a mac or ever a computer) i've had it for about 4 months now, so resently my friend decided to buy a mac, infact a mac book pro top spec the 1899.99 model.

He has been thining of buying this laptop for AGES, being a student moeney don't come easy, so we went for the student discount of the apple site which nocks it down about 150 quid not to shabby.

We dicided to pick up the laptop at are local Apple store (Farpoint) but for some reason they whould only give us 5% off the price which is about 45 so quid (im terrible at maths) now my question is did we have the only stupid sales person in the apple shop or can we get more off? my friend is really anoyed about this whole day but if anyone has any information to help be great thanks :D

god i do go on, sorry :)

Right this is really anoying not just for me but my friend, I've been a owner of a mac book (512 ram is to low for a mac or ever a computer) i've had it for about 4 months now, so resently my friend decided to buy a mac, infact a mac book pro top spec the 1899.99 model.

He has been thining of buying this laptop for AGES, being a student moeney don't come easy, so we went for the student discount of the apple site which nocks it down about 150 quid not to shabby.

We dicided to pick up the laptop at are local Apple store (Farpoint) but for some reason they whould only give us 5% off the price which is about 45 so quid (im terrible at maths) now my question is did we have the only stupid sales person in the apple shop or can we get more off? my friend is really anoyed about this whole day but if anyone has any information to help be great thanks :D

god i do go on, sorry :)

The Student Discount is only at the Apple online store - you should be glad you got your 45 quid off at the other retailer. If you order, ordering online gives you the genuine advantage. I ordered online too, and it worked just fine.

By the way, 512 Mb is not low for a mac - I've had it for years and running photoshop, indesign and illustrator together with word, safari and mail gives me barely any slowdown. You just have to make sure your lappy doesn't go to standby while having these on, since it could seriously slow down you computer once you get it out again...

Is there any free programme out there that allows you to cut music in two (or more) without touching the quality? Oo I have some music that has a long pause in it, which I want to cut out, you see.

`

Audacity.

So, should I get a macbook?

I have no idea what the advantages and disadvantages of them are, so if anyone could outline them I'd be very grateful.

I'm currently using a Samsung V25 piece of shit.

Its getting old now and I need a replacement.

So whats good about the Macbooks, the little white and black ones and the big Macbook Pros?

I have no idea.

Got a question too; read a couple of the pages and did a search, but couldn't find it.

I was trying to find a program on my MacBook that would allow me to record a video, seeing as a I have this built in webcam and microphone. But I can't find a single program that would allow me to do so, rendering my webcam quite useless at the moment.

So, does anyone know what free program I can use to create my own video files with my webcam? =3

I'm sure iMovie can do that for you, or if not iMovie then another one of the iLife suite which you got with your Mac.

I got iMovie HD, but it doesn't seem to allow me to directly record a movie, only import files I already made. I tried 'make Magic iMovie' or whatever in the functions, but then it said it couldn't find a camera.

I'm sure iMovie can do that for you, or if not iMovie then another one of the iLife suite which you got with your Mac.

If iMovie can't do it I doubt any of the other iLife apps can do it.

you should first try the iMovie help and if that dosent help you i would try going onto macupdate and doing a search for webcams with the free filter on.

edit: this is what the help thing said

Capturing live video from an iSight camera

You can capture live video from your iSight camera directly into iMovie HD.

IMPORTANT: To use iSight with iMovie HD, you must have iChat AV on your computer. If you can't use iChat AV, then you can't use IIDC cameras such as iSight with iMovie HD.

To capture live video from an iSight camera:

Open the privacy shutter on your iSight.

Click the mode switch to set iMovie HD to camera mode (shown above).

Click the camera icon to the left of the mode switch and choose iSight from the pop-up menu.

Click the Record With iSight button at the bottom of the iMovie monitor.

The video you see in the iMovie monitor is recorded as a clip in the Clips pane.

Click Record With iSight again to stop recording.

So, should I get a macbook?

I have no idea what the advantages and disadvantages of them are, so if anyone could outline them I'd be very grateful.

I'm currently using a Samsung V25 piece of shit.

Its getting old now and I need a replacement.

So whats good about the Macbooks, the little white and black ones and the big Macbook Pros?

I have no idea.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ -- Some of that stuff is Coming Soon, but the basic ideas are already imagined with Tiger

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html -- Your laptop advantages

Also: I was given a 10% discount at an Apple Store with my NUS card.

If iMovie can't do it I doubt any of the other iLife apps can do it.

you should first try the iMovie help and if that dosent help you i would try going onto macupdate and doing a search for webcams with the free filter on.

edit: this is what the help thing said

Flick the switch from Scissor to Camera!

Thank you guys, I bet that does the trick. Will have to try it out later tonight. =D

Hmm this is tempting, but I admit it looks slightly suspicious: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-13-White-MacBook-Intel-Duo-Core-1-83Ghz-Laptop_W0QQitemZ270108132882QQcategoryZ141177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Part of me wants to travel to Birmingham tomorrow to check out the Apple store, but don't think I can be arsed.

DO IT!!!!!

i know a couple guys who work in there that i never knew worked there till a few days ago . . . weird.

In student discount news, my friend was able to get the full 15% discount off his MacBook that he got in November from the Apple Store in the Arndal ein Manchester (where i'm getting my MacBook Pro from in a weeks time).

I shall ring them up anywho just to check or else i'll have to go without the internet or a pc for 2 days :(

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!