NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The3rdChildren

Official Bitch about Twilight Princess Thread!

I'm glad there's this thread, the official one turned into a Zelda slting with bitching and defending, it wasn't an enjoyable debate!!

Good call on the ruppees thing, pretty annoying. I wish some of the items were needed a bit more, a few of the new ones were only needed in that dungeon - the spinner was needed at the castle but it's such an awesome item there should have been more need (though I found one part of Hyrule field that needed it).

The last castle felt weirdly unfinished - I only went round half of it and got to the end, but that may have been its intention.... It was great but just felt a little weird.

I absolutely love having sword fights in the game and using the special abilities, I would have looked more opportunities to use them, especially in the sword fight with Gannon, which I loved, but there seemed to be too much of a 'technique' needed (wait for him to charge and then hack to fuck!) rather than a sword duel!

I'm stuck. And I have completely no idea where to go. I didn't expect to get so stumped with this game............

Also, the sword swinging waggle controls are tacked on. Its just a fancy button.

But a fucking cool one nonetheless.

But a fucking cool one nonetheless.

They should of given players a choice, which to use, because, in my experience, it is unresponsive as hell

If the Wii controls are so crap, why didnt you buy the GC version. After all, it is a Gamecube game......;)

They should of given players a choice, which to use, because, in my experience, it is unresponsive as hell

Yeah; buy the gamecube one instead.

I don't think it's unresponsive. If you actaully swing, it's really good, but if you're lazy and just flick it, it sometimes doesn't work.

The remote speaker? Off? Now that's the coolest thing about it. It immerses you into the game like never before... And that sound of thee fairy doesn't annoy me at all, since I never point at the screen untill the message pops up. That message haunts my dreams...

The sound quality on the remote is absolutely terrible... they just tacked it on last minute, its about the same level of audio quality as the Nintendo DS, which isn't enough when it's supposed to pair with a console game. I leave the remote sound off for all games, and it sounds the same for most of them anyway... the woosh of a tennis racket, midna, the crash from rolling into a wall in zelda... all sounds like "crunch, crackle" to me.

The sound quality on the remote is absolutely terrible... they just tacked it on last minute, its about the same level of audio quality as the Nintendo DS, which isn't enough when it's supposed to pair with a console game. I leave the remote sound off for all games, and it sounds the same for most of them anyway... the woosh of a tennis racket, midna, the crash from rolling into a wall in zelda... all sounds like "crunch, crackle" to me.

Turn the volume down to 2. It works best that way.

Also, the sword swinging waggle controls are tacked on. Its just a fancy button.

Since it doesn't replicate your movements, only detecting that you have moved the controller, it's pretty obvious that it replaces a button press.

At the same time though, it doesn't feel tacked on. Not when moving the controller is more entertaining than simply pressing a button. Sword fights against the stronger or more devious opponents in the game can feel heated in a way button pressing can't convey. I love it! A Soul Calibur game with similar, but deeper, controls could be amazing. :)

Since it doesn't replicate your movements, only detecting that you have moved the controller, it's pretty obvious that it replaces a button press.

At the same time though, it doesn't feel tacked on. Not when moving the controller is more entertaining than simply pressing a button. Sword fights against the stronger or more devious opponents in the game can feel heated in a way button pressing can't convey. I love it! A Soul Calibur game with similar, but deeper, controls could be amazing. :)

I agree with this ^ it is tacked on a bit, but I found it fun. 1:1 sword fighting would be way too much effort anyway... you wouldn't be able to fight when you were tired, or laying back to play - it would take too much concentration.

And what button would swordfighting be, then? I don't find it tacked on, it feels natural and easy and it requires some of yuor lazy cells to move, but hell. It's an amazing feature and I'm still not hoping that they change the series radically. I hope they just create a true Tolkien-esque story with all races working together in a great war because Ganonddorfs last strike will blow the world off. With only place for one hero, the end of a legend and the return of a King. Now that would be great, I think... I want an immersive story. That's why i'm bitching about Twilight princess. If the story was better (and it's good, but it's still lacking) it would be great.

What if, in the story I mentioned, the only way to save the world is to find the ancient relics of Hyrule? The Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, the Master Sword. All of the items that were lost throughout the ages and need to be found for the sake of the ending of the war. What if relgiion (belief in the old legends) and warcraft (fight is the only solution!) stood eye to eye and religion only got that much time to prove itself. It would make the story immersive. People with disbelief on what happens to their world.

I want to feel the people. And such a dramatic story, with everybody assuming the end of the world, wouid be tremendous. A story with traitors in the Hylian army and the last rise of Ganondorf, of whom only his soul remains - after bein stonefied in the Wind Waker. The triforce could hgave kept him alive. Come on, Nintendo, I thought of that - so perhaps a team of 70 people can do better than that? Please, make it grand and not just big...

[big post about story]

Some nice ideas! The world always feels very unresponsive in Zelda games. In TP I wanted to see more people taking a stand, I wanted to see Kakariko village rebuilt through the course of the game, I wanted to see Hyrule field have civilian transports being guarded by royal guards with swords, I wanted the castle to make sense as a castle... and not a dungeon. I wanted to learn about the history of the Links before me, and some kind of callback to the original. I wanted a sense that this game really sat somewhere logical in the timeline of the Zelda series.

I always think MM has the best plot for this reason, the sense of time passing, the people growing scared and running away from the town as the moon approaches, the people with tasks to do that don't relate to you, such as mailing letters or visiting other places, the band playing in the bar. All these things happened whether you interjected or not - that made it feel like a real, responsive world.

The stories of Zelda games are always very good, but they're never really epic. Also they seem to go out of their way to never give us what they know we want - some form of logic and continuity.

1:1 sword fighting would be way too much effort anyway... you wouldn't be able to fight when you were tired, or laying back to play - it would take too much concentration.

Like the Dance Dance Revolution games, and other such games that require a bit more effort from the player, it wouldn't be suitable for the lazy. But for the rest of us...

Like the Dance Dance Revolution games, and other such games that require a bit more effort from the player, it wouldn't be suitable for the lazy. But for the rest of us...

Sorry but I think that's a totally different ballgame. Like Wii sports, if you want to play a proactive game, you get up and get ready and play it in bursts. Nobody comes in late, tired, wanting to immerse themselves in an adventure driven game that they can play at their own pace, and plugs in Dance Dance Revolution, do they?

I like the wii version, i find the controls great and i just turn the speaker off. But im dreading every time i have to play as wolf, its not nearly as enjoyable, a bit tedious and repetitve so far....hopefully it will get better.

And what button would swordfighting be, then?

B, like in every other Zelda game.

I turned that pointer off about 5 minutes into the game. And the wii-mote speaker. Also the rupee thing "You got a blue rupee, that's 5 rupees!" every time you play really pissed me off. Other than that it was a wholly enjoyable game. Not all of it was perfect, but few games are. I had a good time completing it :) Anyone who says they finished it in 30 hours either played it nonstop so never forgot where they were going, or ran straight to the next point without stopping for sidequests or heartpieces along the way, or is just plain lying.

I completed it in 32/33 hours, really not that hard! I alsolike to think I took my time near the beginning.

Sorry but I think that's a totally different ballgame. Like Wii sports, if you want to play a proactive game, you get up and get ready and play it in bursts. Nobody comes in late, tired, wanting to immerse themselves in an adventure driven game that they can play at their own pace, and plugs in Dance Dance Revolution, do they?

I, and I thought you, was talking about a Soul Calibur game, a beat 'em up. Not an adventure game. Beat 'em up's can be picked up for a brief bout, much like a dancing game.

I was talking about Zelda: TP :heh:

The only other thing that disappointed me about TP was some of the textures. Did anyone else look at Epona's face, or the floor, in first person mode? Epona's eye looks like it's made of about twelve pixels, and the floor still looks weak. I hate to bring up Halo here, I don't even own an xbox or anything, but grass textures looked so much better on that game 5 years ago.

I was talking about Zelda: TP :heh:

Well try to keep up next time. ;)

I think the only problem I have with the graphics are that the Wii doesn't output a HD resolution. It makes the games look blurry on LCD screens without a matching native resolution, even with component cables. This is a complaint with the hardware though, not with Twilight Princess specifically.

B, like in every other Zelda game.

Ad how would you use items? It's really not easy to shoot arrows while holding down one of the pad's directional buttons. In the beginning of the game, I hated pushing those buttons because they're up a little to high. And how borring would it be? If you don't like swordfighting like this you could have ran off buying th GC version and playing it on Wii...

PS: Has annyone noticed that the official Zelda thread's discussion has moved over to this thread? It appears that the Zelda thread is going dry. Woohoo! You just killed yourself.

Ad how would you use items? It's really not easy to shoot arrows while holding down one of the pad's directional buttons. In the beginning of the game, I hated pushing those buttons because they're up a little to high. And how borring would it be? If you don't like swordfighting like this you could have ran off buying th GC version and playing it on Wii...

Yeah, it would suck, which is another reason why the motion sensing is good.

The only thing that annoys me about this game is the amount of people bitching about it.

Ok there are minor bits and pieces that aren't perfect. I have the Gamecube version, I don't like it when you run over rupees and the game stops as if you've picked up a game changing item.

But it's pathetic the way some people are trying to take these tiny minor bits and acting as if the game is terrible because of it. It's a joke.

The only thing that annoys me about this game is the amount of people bitching about it.

Ok there are minor bits and pieces that aren't perfect. I have the Gamecube version, I don't like it when you run over rupees and the game stops as if you've picked up a game changing item.

But it's pathetic the way some people are trying to take these tiny minor bits and acting as if the game is terrible because of it. It's a joke.

Wel, this is the bitching thread, where you can miss out the "this game is still great though" part from the end.

I, most probably like most others, was/were just pointing out little things that could be changed.

Sign in to follow this