Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Opera Trial Channel Impressions

taiomi

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what internet games can you play on wii?

i think the channel is alright, speedier than i thought it would be, but you definetly need a keyboard and more options

im glad they called it the trial version

http://www.wiicade.com, http://www.wiinintendo.net aswell is pretty good source of wii compatible flash games.

also try out:

http://splax.net/game/fooyoo.html

for a pretty quirky japanese game but quite fun...

It won't for security reasons.

Java is used for many sites on internet. It will be there

I'm hoping for

• Updated flash player
  • Tabbed browsing
  • keyboard button assignment to classic controller or 2nd wii mote (to play flash games)
  • Shockwave support

Hopefully in a few weeks we shall get a full list of features.

Java is used for many sites on internet. It will be there

I'm hoping for

• Updated flash player
  • Tabbed browsing
  • keyboard button assignment to classic controller or 2nd wii mote (to play flash games)
  • Shockwave support

Hopefully in a few weeks we shall get a full list of features.

Here's the catch: Java is an Operating Enviroment. Wich means it can run commands - Java can do a great deal of harm to computers. Java would interfere with the Wii Operating System, making it vulnerable, and Nintendo can't get virusscans on the system, now can they? Wouldn't hope for java. And Shockwave, well, it's an ancient technology I rarely see these days. I'm agreeing on the tabbed browsing and the Flash upgrade - but the opera for devices platform can't handle version 9 if flash yet, wich is a shame. And the third of your requests barely makes any sense... As if Nintendo would make the Internet Channel especialy for videogames...

It won't for security reasons.

Here's the catch: Java is an Operating Enviroment. Wich means it can run commands - Java can do a great deal of harm to computers. Java would interfere with the Wii Operating System, making it vulnerable, and Nintendo can't get virusscans on the system, now can they? Wouldn't hope for java. And Shockwave, well, it's an ancient technology I rarely see these days. I'm agreeing on the tabbed browsing and the Flash upgrade - but the opera for devices platform can't handle version 9 if flash yet, wich is a shame. And the third of your requests barely makes any sense... As if Nintendo would make the Internet Channel especialy for videogames...

You got a point about the security of java but no support would go against nintendo's promise to be the ultimate Web surfing experience on the Wii console and Nintendo can't really do that without Java.

As for shockwave, yes the use of it has gone down but it's still being used, if it can be implemented without any problems then Nintendo/opera should put it in there, power will not be a problem as the dreamcast web browser supported it.

As for the video gaming issue, Wii at heart is a video games console so why not add a function where you can assign buttons to keys? It would be a fantastic feature imagine playing alien hominide using a controller on newgrounds or SFO. That would be feature would be praised and loved.

Yes portable devices don't support flash 9, but wii is not a portable device and we are not getting opera's portable browser are we?

Official Press Statement from Nintendo from GoNintendo

Since late December, Wii owners have been able to download a trial version of the Opera Internet browser. After receiving substantial and helpful feedback from consumers, friends and family members, Nintendo developers have made a number of improvements to the final version of the browser, including:

* improved zooming and scrolling

* an improved zoomed font

* shortened startup times

* quicker access to “favorites”

* an ability to hide the toolbar

* buttons that will instantly type common preset letters, such as “www” or “.com”

More details about these and other functions will be announced in the near future. To ensure that the browser incorporates all of these enhancements, the final version will be available for download in April, a few weeks later than previously announced. The browser will remain free for Wii owners to download through the end of June. After June, users who haven’t already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.

I dont think you understand java.. It is a virtual machine and so it is impossible to 'interfere with the wii operating system. In effect a java applet should be no different to a flash application.

You got a point about the security of java but no support would go against nintendo's promise to be the ultimate Web surfing experience on the Wii console and Nintendo can't really do that without Java.

As for shockwave, yes the use of it has gone down but it's still being used, if it can be implemented without any problems then Nintendo/opera should put it in there, power will not be a problem as the dreamcast web browser supported it.

As for the video gaming issue, Wii at heart is a video games console so why not add a function where you can assign buttons to keys? It would be a fantastic feature imagine playing alien hominide using a controller on newgrounds or SFO. That would be feature would be praised and loved.

Yes portable devices don't support flash 9, but wii is not a portable device and we are not getting opera's portable browser are we?

The two things I've marked tell the tale here. Nintendo doesn't want to create it's own competition, now do they? And second, the Wii is a portable device in the sense that it isn't a real computer - wich means it's a portable device. And that's why Flash 7 is included - since the technology is pretty old and isn't supporting Flash 9. And FLash 9 is a huge download (compared to the Wii's Hard-drive).

And no, perhaps I don't understand Java that much. I think i'm confusing it with Microsoft's Virtual Machina - what's it called again? Back in the days it was used for banking websites and such...

The two things I've marked tell the tale here. Nintendo doesn't want to create it's own competition, now do they? And second, the Wii is a portable device in the sense that it isn't a real computer - wich means it's a portable device. And that's why Flash 7 is included - since the technology is pretty old and isn't supporting Flash 9. And FLash 9 is a huge download (compared to the Wii's Hard-drive).

Ok Flash 9 plug in for windows is 1.3MB - http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Also Flash 9 is not a resource hog specs are

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

Intel® Pentium® II 450MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)

128MB of RAM

Now we officially don't know the specs of the wii but the cpu is at least faster then 450MHz and the ram should be 128MB.

As for Nintendo don't want to create there own competition. users will own a PC any way so they can play flash games with a keyboard so that excuse is really not a good one.

Ok Flash 9 plug in for windows is 1.3MB - http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Also Flash 9 is not a resource hog specs are

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

Intel® Pentium® II 450MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)

128MB of RAM

Now we officially don't know the specs of the wii but the cpu is at least faster then 450MHz and the ram should be 128MB.

As for Nintendo don't want to create there own competition. users will own a PC any way so they can play flash games with a keyboard so that excuse is really not a good one.

Only 1.3 Mb? In download or unpacked? Even so, the RAM of the Wii is only 88 Mb - and you shouldn't forget it's just for running Flash - you're not running the opera browser included in those 128 Mb. I'm pretty sure they won't get Flash 9 included (could be licensing too - to be fair, Adobe didn't publish it for Wii, now did they?). Just because I know Nintendo isn't all up-to-date - and about the competition thing, I'm sure it's because of that reason. Why would Nintendo give you the possibility to assign keys to the buttons on controllers? Then they coulmd just have made all their cotnroller USB-compatible so you can play them through normal computers. Stupid idea in the first place, mapable buttons - there's no use for it. The most they will do is add USB keyboard support, but I higly doubt that.

Only 1.3 Mb? In download or unpacked? Even so, the RAM of the Wii is only 88 Mb - and you shouldn't forget it's just for running Flash - you're not running the opera browser included in those 128 Mb.

eh? talking about running a flash file embedded in a web page, so you got flash, the web browser and the whole darn OS running in background, that is what the 128MB is running, not just the flash file. Unpacked Flash 9 is still not a very big size and you don't know for sure if the ram of the Wii is 88MB

But you could be right about it being a license issue.

Keyboard button assignement is a good feature, i am not the only one who would like to see it, might not happen but it would be great.

This discussion is silly.

Flash 9 is possible on Wii.

Java is not.

Flash will likely be updated, but Java probably won't be there. None of the Opera Device browsers seem to have it, so neither will the Wii version.

I dont know why everyone is slating the PS3 as though its a competition between it and the Wii. It doesnt matter anyway, all that matters is if you buy one that you're happy with it,not how many other systems are sold.

I bet everyone here would secretly like a PS3, but laugh at its 'unsuccessful' launch.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!