froztyman

Voice-acting in the next Zelda game

Voice-acting in the next Zelda game  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Voice-acting in the next Zelda game

• Yeah
    • No
    • Yes, but with a silent hero

Morgan Freeman. You just like the Freeman part.

One thing I think they should definetly avoid is comedic characters.

Giving nintendo the option to do voice acting all I can expect are very bad things.

From the dialog you can tell the creators are a bit kooky, but its through text. Its forgiveable. Funny even. But if you have a kooky voice accompanying kooky text then its just not funny anymore. Becomes annoying.

What I see is this becoming like Final Fantasy. People loved the voice acting but for me it was shit. Tidus' dialog sounded like hearing you parents have sex. Horrific. Add the industrial strength cheese in FF X-2 dialog and you might have the result for Zelda.

By the gods I hope I'm wrong. If done well it could be very good. A whole new feel to a zelda game. But in the more likely case its done done wrong...then I cry.

One thing that could destroy the game, the use of voice acting in scenes which tell you the story, such as creation of hyrule. Reading it is fine, but having somebody speak

"and the 3 goddesses din, nayru and farore descended upon hyrule.." it could ruin the experience. You need the right voice.

I'm thinking a start-of-Fellowship of the Ring-film sort of voice would more than do those scenes justice. In my mind, at least.

I can see great potential IF Nintendo do it properly and don't give Link a voice; and I'm quite sure that The Big N won't actually do it unless they know it works/will work, so full confidence in that- no mater if they use it or not in the next game, I'm sure it would have been the right decision.

I don't want any kind of voice acting, I like imagining each character with its own voice and I don't want that ruined. Besides, the voice samples that are used are awesome.

I'm thinking a start-of-Fellowship of the Ring-film sort of voice would more than do those scenes justice. In my mind, at least.

I can see great potential IF Nintendo do it properly and don't give Link a voice; and I'm quite sure that The Big N won't actually do it unless they know it works/will work, so full confidence in that- no mater if they use it or not in the next game, I'm sure it would have been the right decision.

If they can do it properly, then it would be fantastic. Like you said, it really comes off in Lotr. But, it needs to be done properly.

The thing aswell is, Link doesnt really even speak through text either (unless he does in Twilight Princess) theres usually just a silence where he speaks, then the other character carries on the conversation. Eg: in OoT when Zelda asks your name.

How about Japanese voice acting only? It's usually a million times better than the English versions. It'll be like watching Pingu with subtitles.

Twilight Princess really did need voice acting. The presentation Nintendo have opted for, along with story and cinematics really justify voice acting. That said, i'd rather have the same silent then dodgy VO work.

They should do voice acting similar to the voice acting in Twilight Princess, just make every NPC "talk" like that.

Answering the topic... IMO Hell no, the only feasible voice acting Zelda could possibly have is either midna'ish gibberish, or actual hylian (would have to be further developed with a accent and such).

Never english, the reason why we can't read signs in the game is since they're in hylian right? but they can be translated, I'd expect the same for the language, English would kill it.

There's no perfect voice acting, and I certainly don't want a language I can understand out of the box for Zelda, It'd be like seeying anime dubbed into english, no matter how well dubbed it is. That said I don't want japanese either (for the reasons explained above), and Nintendo would never release a game in america with untranslated japanese language voice-overs.

I know yhis is the wrong topic but

"Thing enough surprising, Nintendo Dream also teaches us that there was obviously a dissension with Nintendo of America relating to the lapping machine which lent its voice to Link until now in the last Zelda plays. Nintendo would thus have carried out some tests of voice of various actors, and it is finally Sasanuma Akira (Dearka Elsman in Gundam Seed) which would have been selected for The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass"

http://gonintendo.com/?p=10665

They should make a Hylian language, to be learned by fanboys everyhwere. Like Klingon, or Elvish.

the LoZ is all about the triforce holders, yet there is hardly ever any direct interaction between the 3 of them. Voice dialogue between the 3 is the way forward, in my opinion.

Besides there are countless generations of Links and Zeldas, theres room for experimentation here, not only with voices but with personality traits.

oh come on we all no they'll never put voice acting in any zelda in the near future. they're going to stick with the little expresions for characters that you talk to more than once and possibly the people that arn't

oh come on we all no they'll never put voice acting in any zelda in the near future. they're going to stick with the little expresions for characters that you talk to more than once and possibly the people that arn't

never say never to the megaton

http://gonintendo.com/?p=10665

and how else are they going to do a zelda film do you think?

How about Japanese voice acting only? It's usually a million times better than the English versions. It'll be like watching Pingu with subtitles.

There are some swedish guys who have subtitled Pingu, all the pinguin sounds are translated to very obscene language. Extremly funny...

Link can't speak, its up there with actually seeing Gordan Freeman in a Half-Life game. It would ruin what helps make the game more involving, and imagine if it had a Final Fantasy style voiced lead-people would be moaning for years to come.

ugh why are people saying no?if it was up to you people then we would never have seen the likes of wind waker.the series needs to change every once in a while.however i dont think its time for link to talk yet

ugh why are people saying no?if it was up to you people then we would never have seen the likes of wind waker.the series needs to change every once in a while.however i dont think its time for link to talk yet

Nobody's saying no to all change. We're just afraid that this could go balls up.

Not all change is good. It needs to be within reason.

As soon have stated, if we can add voice acting, and still make the games epic- then go for it.

However, we don't want to have a Zelda adventure with an atmosphere completely ruined by the voice acting.

If it can be done, it needs to be done right. Just like making Link look different in the wind waker.

Lets be honest here, exactly how many games have their been where the voice actors have even sounded like they're trying? I can think of... one. Two maybe. It's a crying shame to be honest. We live in a world where virtual zombies can be rendered in all their gory hyper realism, but getting a half-decent scream in response is still far and away beyond even the top tier of game developers today.

I'm going to throw something out there, and I always thought a slightly modified Kagato from the Tenchi Muyo! OVA dub would have been very fitting for voicing Ganondorf.

He's the grey haired guy. I like how evil and smart he sounds. He'd probably have to play the voice a little deeper, mind you.

Video here. Kagato shows up a few minutes into it.

---

And Link already has a voice in Japan. He's generic Japanese youth and can be heard on a radio drama for Link to the Past, although I don't have a link handy.