NEurope
Dante

Wii Controller Prototypes

The Wii Remote and its creation is a subject that interests many, and in the past 've been able to take a look at early prototypes and patent images, which have managed to shed a little light on exactly how Nintendo's killer controller came to be.

The Nikkei Business magazine in Japan has apparently published an image depicting four previously unseen controllers, and a couple of them are quite similar to the final product. One of them is downright crazy, though.

wii_controller_prototypes.jpg

Would a star pad have made an impact as big as Nintendo's motion-capable and speed-registering Wii-mote?

Aussie-nintendo.com

star pad!?!?!?!!?

how does that work?..........what in the hell would it have done?.......

(kinda want the star pad now....eh..)

I'm kinda liking the black one on the left. In a strange sorta way. (not sexual)

But, how in God's name does the star pad work?

That image just makes me want a black wii more...

The black Wiimote always looked really hot, i remember the original images. If they ever release a black one, or any other colour than white i'm snapping it up.

Sweet banana! That starpad looks mighty tasty! Must have had some frisbee-throwing motion-sensing-thingie. And it's round. And it has a big star on it. Can't argue with round things with big stars on them.

The top-right one is what Miyamoto spoke of when he said 'make it look like a phone'. I do like it, though. But the question is: what revolutionizing functionality could you add with it. And, erm, the star pad. Wel, it's strange...

I can imagine fighting with sony/ms fanboys that the wii's not just for kids.

Then the star pad is unveiled.

A revolution in gaming they'd say. Landmark for the industry. In the meantime I'd be eating my own hat and saving up for a Ps3.

Luckily thats not the case. I love the 'mote.

I can imagine fighting with sony/ms fanboys that the wii's not just for kids.

Then the star pad is unveiled.

A revolution in gaming they'd say. Landmark for the industry. In the meantime I'd be eating my own hat and saving up for a Ps3.

Luckily that's not the case. I love the 'mote.

lol, exactly what I was thinking.

A fucking star pad? THANK GOD Nintendo never stuck with that!

The star thingy.. I dunno.. The only thing I can think of is you sit on it and spin. :)

Now you have said that..........I WANT TEH STARPAD!!!!111!1ONE!111!!

That starpad concept is really crazy.

But this is so crazy it could come out as an accessory for a game.

Maybe to grab a Star in Super Mario Galaxy you must stand on that thing :D

If they'd had releases it with the star pad, we would be all saying goodnight to Nintendo. Just think how ugly the console would have been.

If they'd had releases it with the star pad, we would be all saying goodnight to Nintendo. Just think how ugly the console would have been.

Probably a mushroom with a self loading media slot and the ability to hallucinate the games that wouldn't be developed for it.

It's not about what would have happened if released, it's about what the hell it's purpose was. Perhaps a little like the Buzz games? I wouldn't think of anything else with one, big, star-shaped button. I think it would be cool to see it, except that it looks like crap. But I'm really interested in it and would lvoe to see it come true, just for the novelty value. i want to know what went through their heads. Oh, and those other two concepts: I would love to see them realized, again, for the novelty value. Just to see how they would play. As I said before, I love the mobile-phone like concept and perhaps it would have bein even cooler.

But that's for the next generation. That's for the Wii 2. At least, as long as Nintendo wants to keep the brand Wii. Or perhaps the Wii (with HD). Like iPods, with no new name, but just new functions. Now that would be cool.

I love seeing prototypes, I wish Nintendo let more of these things out.

The top right one should have been the classic controller.

you know what? that actually looks like a snes pad, has shoulder buttons and everything. except that apparently you can twist it around for some other purpose i guess.

... and the ability to hallucinate the games that wouldn't be developed for it.

That has to be one of the best comments ever!

Anyway, wow a star pad! Surely that can't be real... oh wait this is the same company that changed the name of their console from Revolution to Wii, of course it can be real!