Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

I prefer normal priests...

The Paladin is not a Glorified Priest at all. He's a tank through and through. The Priest easily out heals what the Paladin can do and has larger MP reserves. The Paladin however has a really high Defense, and learns Kabuff quite early (my Priest is almost lvl50 and still only knows Buff).

As for the assumption about Shiren the Wanderer and Etrian Odyssey...if I could find the games, even used, I'd likely be fans. Alas I merely have a small DS collection of Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

The Dourbridge and Batsureg priests add a bit of flavour though. Stick in the mud. :p

The Paladin sounds more like how I thought it would be then. If only unlocking it (and the other classes I've come across) seemed like a more inviting task then I'd get cracking with it.

Dude, you're in the USA and you haven't bought Etrian Odyssey? We only got the first one over here, not the second and probably not the third either. People like you who have access to stuff like this makes me sick. :heh:

Priests do not learn Kabuff for some fucking odd reason.

The only defensive spell I have at the minute seems to be Accelerate. I went into my second grotto earlier and came up against Shogum at the end of it. Kinda wish I had someone to atleast use Buff during that. :(

My clear time for the main quest was about 58 hours.

Good stuff. Don't let that stop you playing though!

As long as one party member has Kazing, I don't really care about the rest having any revival spells (Although I always have a reviving(I know it's not the full name) leaf,

Lol! You can't remember the name of the Phoenix Down item in DQ?! So much for you and your undying love for the series. You're clearly a phoney!

Do you need to leave it in a special mode for that, or do you just have to have your DS in sleep mode?

Yeah you go to the Questers Rest and Erinn has the option of going into Canvas Mode. Once you are in it, you can flip the DS shut and it'll do the needful... if anyone is nearby.

Which they won't be.

The Dourbridge and Batsureg priests add a bit of flavour though. Stick in the mud. :p

Oh, gotcha! I thought Nolan meant he preferred Priests to Paladins for healing, but now I see what he means. Yes, I prefer normal priests too. OK, those two made me laugh, but the translation of this game is more like the other DS games than those on the PS2 and Wii (which is a shame, in my opinion).

The only defensive spell I have at the minute seems to be Accelerate. I went into my second grotto earlier and came up against Shogum at the end of it. Kinda wish I had someone to atleast use Buff during that. :(

Is that Grotto 8? That's the only other one I have access to at the moment. Haven't even found it yet, as the boss for the first one was a little bit tough (I still beat him though) and I didn't get a reward! Still, I think I'll have a bash at it later...

Lol! You can't remember the name of the Phoenix Down item in DQ?! So much for you and your undying love for the series. You're clearly a phoney!

I'm sure he can remember, but it's a bugger to spell. Ygddrassil, or something like that!

Yeah you go to the Questers Rest and Erinn has the option of going into Canvas Mode. Once you are in it, you can flip the DS shut and it'll do the needful... if anyone is nearby.

Which they won't be.

Thank you. Well, we'll see...! Actually, I'm a bit scared to take it into town incase a shop's magnetic barrier deletes my data! Asked around at work and such, but no one is playing this or knows anyone who is, and this is amongst people who like Metroid, World of Warcraft etc!

Think I made a mistake making 6 characters at the start, one for each class. Dropped my old priest cause I decided I didn't like him and swapped my Mage in to a Priest so I've been fighting some Metal Slimes to level her up.

Also, what determines the colour of your character? Most of mine are green :(

Oh, gotcha! I thought Nolan meant he preferred Priests to Paladins for healing, but now I see what he means. Yes, I prefer normal priests too. OK, those two made me laugh, but the translation of this game is more like the other DS games than those on the PS2 and Wii (which is a shame, in my opinion).

Is that Grotto 8? That's the only other one I have access to at the moment. Haven't even found it yet, as the boss for the first one was a little bit tough (I still beat him though) and I didn't get a reward! Still, I think I'll have a bash at it later...

Forgot that you like to keep things plain as well. :heh: Bit of personality never hurt anyone.

Yep, its a level 8 grotto. Its easy enough to locate- I had no intention of searching for it but I happened to glance at the map and it was very near to the first grotto.

Also, what determines the colour of your character? Most of mine are green :(

Menu > Misc > Tactics. Beside the front/ back row theres a colour option. Is that what you are looking for?

Shogum didn't give me as much trouble as I was expecting although he insta-killed my Gladiator (who was waaaay under powered for the fight) so I took him with Warrior Priest Thief.

Any tactical hints? He blocked my attacks with his sword/ spear thing and pwned me with his attack that targeted my whole party.

Menu > Misc > Tactics. Beside the front/ back row theres a colour option. Is that what you are looking for?

Yes! I had no idea you could change it. I thought I would be stuck with them being green.

Any tactical hints? He blocked my attacks with his sword/ spear thing and pwned me with his attack that targeted my whole party.

Well, my Warrior used Thunder Thrust to get crits on him. Priest healed most turns with Multiheal and my Thief just helped out with some extra damage.

Also, focus on those King Healslimes if they show up, I only half focused on the first one and it ended up using Fullheal twice in a row on Shogum and healed him 999 and 600 something...basically to full.

It was a bit of luck, as my Priest was down to 15MP, although I think if I had my Paladin it would have went smoother as Kabuff and that whole party magic resistance spell would surely have helped.

What are your levels? My surviving 3 were high 40's.

What are your levels? My surviving 3 were high 40's.

All four were in and around lvl 30 when I fought him this morning. They are just slightly above that now. I'll give it a while before I return for another crack at him.

You going to the Gamestop event today?

I'm sure he can remember, but it's a bugger to spell. Ygddrassil, or something like that!

yep cbf to spell it, half asleep does that too you ;P

I spent most my time last night just watching DVDs and the TV while grinding for cash. I bought everything I could again and then set about doing the quest for the 6th piece of fruit.

I felt sorry for the little kid when he was getting pushed into fighting but everything worked out in the end, really liked the story for that piece of fruit.

The boss was a joke, whether it was because I was powered up with the best gear and level 30+ or just the boss is easy anyway. Either way it was a pushover and im off to the snowy hills of the north! :D

I spent most my time last night just watching DVDs and the TV while grinding for cash. I bought everything I could again and then set about doing the quest for the 6th piece of fruit.

I felt sorry for the little kid when he was getting pushed into fighting but everything worked out in the end, really liked the story for that piece of fruit.

The boss was a joke, whether it was because I was powered up with the best gear and level 30+ or just the boss is easy anyway. Either way it was a pushover and im off to the snowy hills of the north! :D

I'm just ever so slightly ahead of you.

I had to laugh when I beat the big bad boss of the sixth fygg and it reverted into its true form of... Cyril Sneer then waltzed off into the sunset!

raccoons_cyril_sneer.jpg

All four were in and around lvl 30 when I fought him this morning. They are just slightly above that now. I'll give it a while before I return for another crack at him.

You going to the Gamestop event today?

Yea, 30 seems a little low to take him on.

I'd go, but the nearest Gamestop hosting the event is 50+ minutes drive.

I got the 7th fygg earlier...

What the deuce?! My mentor just screwed me over! Hopefully there is a logical reason for this, if not I will just kick his butt.

I went to the next town to see more items to buy. I couldn't be bothered to grind so I decided to take a little break and go do some other things.

I went back to the treasure map area and decided to clear that. After walking around for what seemed like an age I met the boss and gave him a massive beating due to my level and equipment being at a far higher level than the dungeon.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the ????? when you open the Treasure map? I have one done that says Treasure 100% but underneath are two lines of ??????.

Im off to do some of the sidequests i've picked up on my travels as I can't recieve anymore at the moment. :(

Thanks. So I have to go through the map 3 times to get all of the ???????...? :D

LMBO i've just found the alchemy pot! Been wondering where it was but I wanted to find it myself and i've just come across it while doing the sidequests for people. My love of Masterchef will finally pay off. :)

*grabs chefs hat and wooden spoon*

You were at the right level, but I'm guessing you had masses of magic protection. I really should have stuck with my Magic Armour sets (not that I had managed to buy it all), but I can't resist those green numbers, even if it's just +1 for physical defence!

Got this today - hope it's as good as you guys make out.

It is... if you like RPGs.

LMBO i've just found the alchemy pot! Been wondering where it was but I wanted to find it myself and i've just come across it while doing the sidequests for people. My love of Masterchef will finally pay off. :)

LMAO! Unbelievable! ;)

So I finally got the chance to use four 'coup-de-grace' in one go and found out what it does and i took the liberty of taking a couple of - somewhat blurry - pics so click the box below if you wanna know...

1feaz7.jpg

348soz8.jpg

I of course went for the option that turns enemies into metal slimes, unfortunately they all ran off on me but it was cool nonetheless... :grin:

Edited by S.C.G

So I finally got the chance to use four 'coup-de-grace' in one go and found out what it does and i took the liberty of taking a couple of - somewhat blurry - pics so click the box below if you wanna know...

1feaz7.jpg

348soz8.jpg

I of course went for the option that turns enemies into metal slimes, unfortunately they all ran off on me but it was cool nonetheless... :grin:

Why wouldn't you do

Soul Asylum? Just the name sounds awesome.

I went through the first treasure map you get again, and re-pwned the steed at the bottom of the grotto but it didn't fill out any of the other question mark entries. How exactly does that work? I did get another map for my troubles- a lvl 18 one.

I just finished up in Swinedimples and it was good fun. The combination of snow and mystery was reminiscent of Paper Mario 64. :santa: I was gonna accept a few quests that become available from Swinedimples but I have already acquiesced my full quota so I better get to transgressing a few.

If you haven't tried playing with headphones plugged in then you gotta give it a try!

I went through the first treasure map you get again, and re-pwned the steed at the bottom of the grotto but it didn't fill out any of the other question mark entries. How exactly does that work? I did get another map for my troubles- a lvl 18 one.

Well I'm stumped then.

Why wouldn't you do
Soul Asylum? Just the name sounds awesome.

becuase...

temporay invincibility and i was only up against one enemy but the one i went for transformed that one enemy into two metal king slimes and two metal puddle slimes which was worth it just to see them, would have been better if i'd defeated them of course but nevermind.

I just finished up in Swinedimples and it was good fun.

And it's also a brilliant pun!

The combination of snow and mystery was reminiscent of Paper Mario 64.

And Zelda: Phantom Hourglass!

If you haven't tried playing with headphones plugged in then you gotta give it a try!

I haven't actually tried that, but the sound in this game is fantastic. As far as I'm concerned, the DS has my favourite-ever sound chip anyway, and it's as good as ever in this game. When you cast Crackle, you can hear every shard of ice.