NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

I'm getting really annoyed on the monsters now. What's the point of being able to see the monsters when you can't avoid them anyway? You don't notice it when you're going somewhere new or through a dungeon, since you want to fight the enemies anyway, but when going somewhere you have been before or looking for a particular enemy, it's get real frustrating. It's not that I have to fight a lot of enemies I don't want to fight, but that they give me the illusion I have a choice when the enemy is going to get me anyway. I was hunting metal slimes for a mission just now and at one point I had three enemies plinging and charging towards me, one of them wasn't even on the screen when it plinged. If it were random battles I wouldn't care, but when it's like this it's getting frustrating. Maybe that place is a bit worse than other areas, but overall, enemies that runs after you happens way too frequent.

There are times (probably too many) where monsters are unavoidable, but they still are. It helps to know their charge patterns, some only go a short distance and others don't turn. Those are the easy one to avoid, the hard ones follow you, I've found that when they get close making a wide circle will gain some distance again, but that really only delays them and doesn't work in dungeons. They also stop when they hit a wall, so a sharp turn can sometimes lose enemies, and there is also a second or two delay before they can charge again. So, get them to hit a wall then run past while they lounge about.

Come on Game... despatch today or tomorrow like you usually do... it'd be great to have this before the N-E meet if any others have a copy..

Come on Game... despatch today or tomorrow like you usually do... it'd be great to have this before the N-E meet if any others have a copy..

I always find game are shit for that. They often seem quite official about their dates...shopto on the other hand get everything out to me lightning fast.

It's usually pretty good for me, I got Infinite Space the tuesday before release and wednesday for Pokemon the week it was going to be released..

Ah well, as long as it's here by release date, I'm happy.

I'm getting really annoyed on the monsters now. What's the point of being able to see the monsters when you can't avoid them anyway?

It's not something I thought was necessary either. With random battles, I have no problem imagining that the monsters are in the area. It seems to allow greater appreciation of the environments.

I'm playing Dragon Quest Monsters on the DS at the moment, and the only real benefit of seeing the monsters is that they run away from you if you're much stronger than them. I don't know if that's the same in IX? Of course, that coding could be programmed into random battles too.

Some enemies will run when you're much stronger, some still charge and metal slimes always run when they notice.

GAME have finally started to process my order! Probably won't ship until tomorrow though :(

GAME have finally started to process my order! Probably won't ship until tomorrow though :(

Same! This should arrive on my day off Thursday, brilliant!

Got this through the door this morning.

GAME FAIL

35239_10150214665195581_509970580_13637445_7403409_n.jpg

Anyway I kinda want this game.

I've got like 43 hours into this now. I need to take a break though, the DSlite just isn't ergonomic and my right wrist/thumb hurt.

Anyway I kinda want this game.

You should give it a try, there is always a first for everything :D

You should give it a try, there is always a first for everything :D

Damn right! two weeks ago I hadn't even played a Dragon Quest game and now... nearly 40 hours into DQ IX and I'm still loving it, plus I went and tracked down a copy of Dragon Quest IV which I'm planning on playing soon. :)

Bout time people got into Dragon Quest. Awesome series and folk need to try it out and get more aware of it.

You should try DQ VIII if you like DQ IX so much.

Despite my hand hurting I played some more today and....

Specifically after meeting Greygnarl so stop reading if you haven't.

Holy crap at that cutscene after you become the "Dragon Warrior". Followed by being captured...I've always enjoyed sequences in RPGs when the main character is held prisoner for some time.

I've read a couple times that they were trying to make Dragon Quest IX the hardest in the series...but it really doesn't seem to be difficult. I never got to play much of VIII, but what I did play was certainly more difficult than what I've encountered in IX.

I've read a couple times that they were trying to make Dragon Quest IX the hardest in the series...but it really doesn't seem to be difficult. I never got to play much of VIII, but what I did play was certainly more difficult than what I've encountered in IX.

IX is a lot easier when going through the main story, it's the sub stuff later in the game that makes this game pure hard.

Makes Dragovian from DQVIII look like a baby.

You should try DQ VIII if you like DQ IX so much.

Either that game or Dragon Quest III, since there a lot of the features in IX come from III.

Edited by killer kirby

That's kinda what I was thinking, as the first treasure map I did had one helluva tough boss. Gave me more trouble than any main story boss easily, with exceptions to when I was still doing a solo party.

Is combat turn based?

What will Sam do? Fight - Reply - Run

Sam chooses to Reply...

'Yes it's turn-based'

Teh Rez has been replied to

Sam gains 1337 exp.

Teh Rez drops a treasure chest, it contains a Kon Hat! Sam greedily grabs the loot.

Could someone who is knowledgeable on the subject of RPGs help me out on one tiny point for the review?

The fact that you essentially create your party. I'm wanting to say that it "harks back to the likes of..." but I'm struggling to put a game at the end of that. I was going to put Dragon Quest III, but would this be entirely accurate? Anyone?

Same here Ike and Debug Mode. Mine processed yesterday and got sent this morning. I hoped it would arrive today but tomorrow is grand. :grin:

Could someone who is knowledgeable on the subject of RPGs help me out on one tiny point for the review?

The fact that you essentially create your party. I'm wanting to say that it "harks back to the likes of..." but I'm struggling to put a game at the end of that. I was going to put Dragon Quest III, but would this be entirely accurate? Anyone?

Wikipedia reference-linkWizardry.

Edited by darksnowman

Dragon Quest IX was made with the intentions of implementing the Dragon Quest III system, Horii even said that he wanted to go back to that style with IX since it hasn't been really used since then.

I'll try to look for the interview right now, it might help you in understanding what the original intention was to create Dragon Quest IX for the Nintendo DS.

Anyway, about the game, I am going slow. I only go slow on games I really enjoy makes the experience so much more memorable.

13 hours in and yet to see a coffin, to make it even worst, I acidently left the dharm...ugh the alltrades alley forgetting the whole saving the prie...jack of all trades. and went to the other town south. and I still beat the boss easily.

Now the job system. Truth be told I was very upset when I was first told how it works, since playing DQIII, DQVI and DQVII I loved how the job system worked in those games. But so far I am enjoying it, but I still think it will take a bit of time before I really get the hang of it :)

Edited by killer kirby
Automerged Doublepost

Same here Ike and Debug Mode. Mine processed yesterday and got sent this morning. I hoped it would arrive today but tomorrow is grand. :grin:[/WIKIPEDIA]

Mine just got sent within the past hour, so hopefully I shall be enjoying this game tomorrow!

Mine just got sent within the past hour, so hopefully I shall be enjoying this game tomorrow!

Just checked and mine's also been dispatched. Let the good times roll.

13 hours in and yet to see a coffin, to make it even worst, I acidently left the dharm...ugh the alltrades alley forgetting the whole saving the prie...jack of all trades. and went to the other town south. and I still beat the boss easily.

Ha, I did the same thing. I didn't save the Jack of all trades until after Bloomingdale actually, not that I changed my class after that.