NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

More DQ merch!

HNI_0017.JPG

Admittedly smaller than what I thought, but it's made out of a substance called "metal".

Believe it or not, this is the box it arrived in:

HNI_0018.JPG

I kept seeing this thread pop up and bought this earlier this month and totally forgot i had bought it.

Then i was looking for a game to play last night and it caught my eye so i put it in and let's just say it's kept my attention!

Enjoying it so far, up to that abby place where you can finally job change, completed the tower.

The story is good, i'm liking it, not as good as most FF stories but that's to be expected i think. Visually impressive, loving the enemies in this, memorable for the most part with the slimes, the cruelcucumbers and sacksquatches.

Currently have just changed to a warrior with my party being a priest, mage and a martial artist (the party being named Eiko, Vivi and Yang ;))

Was getting a little tired of backtracking and having to buy the wings when i got zoom <3

So yeah, my first DQ game and i'm impressed. The only thing i don't like is how dull the dungeons seem to be, but that's just me. The end bosses and loot all make up for it.

The praise in this thread was indeed well deserved : peace:

I just want to say, don't miss the current DQVC sale that has started today on the Wi-Fi connection - it's the Metal Slime Sale! I strongly recommend buying everything with "Metal Slime" in the title.

I strongly recommend buying everything with "Metal Slime" in the title.
Unless of course you've got loads of every Metal item already. ;)

But yeah, it's great for people that don't have any decent grottos yet.

I'm looking forward to another DQVC week that'll offer Wi-Fi exclusive items. Nothing has topped the afro wig yet. :grin:

Edited by RedShell

Unless of course you've got loads of every Metal item already. ;)

But yeah, it's great for people that don't have any decent grottos yet.

I've Revocated 9 times in one class, so my Grotto and chest quality is high! Personally, I've got:

Metal King Helm (Quest)

Metal King Armour x2 (bought one today)

Metal King Shield x4 (one is from a Quest)

Metal King Spear

Metal King Sword

...So need the Gloves and Boots/Sollerets (no trousers? Boo!) But still, I prefer it really to the 2% drops, of which I have:

Hallowed Helm

Victorious Armour

Vesta Gauntlets

Invincible Trousers x2 (would like one more)

Hero's Boots

Tropotoga (would like another)

Apprentice's Gloves (would like another)

Sensible Sandals (would like another)

...So need the Angel's Robe (x2, ideally), Spring Breeze Hat (x4, ideally!), Brain Drainer and Dragonlord's Map. I find it's actually harder to get the Metal Slime equipment, as there's only a 1% chance of getting the specific one you want, whereas the boss drops are 2% (possibly more with an orange slime). The 1% weapons are even harder though - I've only got the Bright Staff so far.

I just want to say, don't miss the current DQVC sale that has started today on the Wi-Fi connection - it's the Metal Slime Sale! I strongly recommend buying everything with "Metal Slime" in the title.

Oooh, that's good for me since I only had the sword and helmet. I got the spear and sword today, hopefully I can get the sollerets so I can use them to complete a quest.

Looks like I need to go Gem Slime hunting.

Got my Hero to Minstrel+2, so I have to level him up again, but I'm hoping I'll start getting better Grottoes soon.

I've Revocated 9 times in one class, so my Grotto and chest quality is high! Personally, I've got:

Metal King Helm (Quest)

Metal King Armour x2 (bought one today)

Metal King Shield x4 (one is from a Quest)

Metal King Spear

Metal King Sword

Whoa, 9 Revocations! Awesome. icon14.gif You'll definitely be making it to +10 before me then (my max is still +5).

I guess I must just be immensely lucky with finding Metal treasure, seriously I've lost count of how many duplicate items I've collected.

In fact I sold pretty much all of it, just keeping what I alchemised into King Metal stuff/what my characters use.

Wish I could say I had the same luck for collecting Orbs... :hmm:

Need 2 more purple ones to try and make the 5 star trousers, but bloody Dhoulmagus has other ideas! :heh:

Whoa, 9 Revocations! Awesome. icon14.gif You'll definitely be making it to +10 before me then (my max is still +5).

I think I was lucky to get a great Metal King Grotto early on. The Metal King Slimes appear on Floor 5 and that floor also has an awesome corridor that is just the right size and shape. Not encountered anything like it since.

Wish I could say I had the same luck for collecting Orbs... :hmm:

Need 2 more purple ones to try and make the 5 star trousers, but bloody Dhoulmagus has other ideas! :heh:

Silly question, but which Legacy boss maps do you have and how did you get them? I've honestly looked this up on GameFAQs and such but I still can't work it out. Personally, I've got Baramos and Murdaw (and upgraded my Apprentice's Gloves and Hero's Boots just once) - the former dropped another boss map at level 16 but the latter didn't.

Silly question, but which Legacy boss maps do you have and how did you get them? I've honestly looked this up on GameFAQs and such but I still can't work it out. Personally, I've got Baramos and Murdaw (and upgraded my Apprentice's Gloves and Hero's Boots just once) - the former dropped another boss map at level 16 but the latter didn't.
I've only got 3. Baramos, Murdaw and Dhoulmagus.

Murdaw does drop the map for Dhoulmagus after Lv. 16, but it's still only a 5 or 10% chance I think. :hmm:

Dhoulmagus however doesn't drop a map, so the next legacy boss is obtained by Greygnarl, apparently. I've still not managed to get it yet though.

I've only got 3. Baramos, Murdaw and Dhoulmagus.

Murdaw does drop the map for Dhoulmagus after Lv. 16, but it's still only a 5 or 10% chance I think. :hmm:

Dhoulmagus however doesn't drop a map, so the next legacy boss is obtained by Greygnarl, apparently. I've still not managed to get it yet though.

Orgodemir

is the one I care about the most and I have still been trying to get him, my favorite villain EVER!!!!

Oooh, Ike baby, there was one on DQVC just last week :(

You wanna look for Vermil Lions in high level grottos. It's a pretty rare drop.

Oooh, Ike baby, there was one on DQVC just last week :(

You wanna look for Vermil Lions in high level grottos. It's a pretty rare drop.

Aww, must've bought every but that from the DQVC :(

Don't think I've seen those enemies yet, so looks like I won' be completing this quest soon :(

If it's any consolation, Beast Claws are in Rank 8 chests, so I'm sure you'll get them eventually.

Metal Slime gear is Rank 9, and is on sale this week, of course. I wonder if there'll be a Rank 10 sale? Certain Rank 10 weapons have already been on sale, although not in a dedicated fashion (I bought two pairs of Dragonlord Claws). Personally, I'd love the Poker and Bad Axe.

Typical, I bought a Metal Slime Spear and Metal Slime Shield from the DQVC and I go and find a Spear in a grotto and a Shield from a quest. Oh well, more for alchemy.

Also got Atlas' rare drop yesterday, the Tropotoga so now I have his 5% and 2% drops!

Typical, I bought a Metal Slime Spear and Metal Slime Shield from the DQVC and I go and find a Spear in a grotto and a Shield from a quest.

Wow, that's early to get those. Personally, I had a fruitless weekend of Grottoes! Despite doing four high-quality Grottoes (and revisiting them a few times), with plenty of Rank 9 and 10 chests, I simply didn't get anything good out of them. I seem to keep getting Gleeban Gold Pieces, Mini Medals and occasionally Orichalcum.

However, I did buy the Metal Slime Gauntlets today, so I only need the Sollerets (preferably x2).

Well, I bought the Sollerets and couldn't resist alchemising them, so I can't complete a certain Quest yet. On the other hand, I now have the full Metal King outfit, which was an ambition of mine before I'd even bought the game!

In other news, I have Revocated 10 times as a Paladin! It was the slowest class to do, but I wanted to be a "true" knight!

KnighttoRemember001.jpg

You also get a star instead of a "+1" etc...

KnighttoRemember005.jpg

So, this maximises my chances of getting even more Mini Medals from Rank 10 chests! ;)

Well, I bought the Sollerets and couldn't resist alchemising them, so I can't complete a certain Quest yet. On the other hand, I now have the full Metal King outfit, which was an ambition of mine before I'd even bought the game!

In other news, I have Revocated 10 times as a Paladin! It was the slowest class to do, but I wanted to be a "true" knight!

KnighttoRemember001.jpg

You also get a star instead of a "+1" etc...

KnighttoRemember005.jpg

So, this maximises my chances of getting even more Mini Medals from Rank 10 chests! ;)

Great stuff. Top effort you psycho! :bowdown:

Congrats on maxing out the revocations, Grazza! icon14.gif

Let us know how it effects your luck with the grottos/items etc...

I was also wondering, do you still earn experience from battles for a character when they're Lv. 99+10/star?

Great stuff. Top effort you psycho! :bowdown:

Really, really laughed out loud at that!

I was also wondering, do you still earn experience from battles for a character when they're Lv. 99+10/star?

It'll be a while before I get my Paladin up to level 99 again, but I assume it'll be like when you're level 99 with less revocations - that is to say, you still get EXP but it doesn't do anything. The system of this game is that you have to receive EXP, if only to calculate the smaller amount that the lower-levelled characters receive.

I received three Silver Orbs, and so I got the chance to create my first potential Alchemiracle. I wanted to upgrade my Master's Gloves, so I set my character as a level 99 Ranger, equipped with Matador's Gloves and the Medal of Freedom, giving a Deftness of 895.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

What a tease!

5.jpg

Yes!! The best gloves in the game! Nicer colours too.

Welcome to the Alchemiracle club, Grazza! icon14.gif

But hold on a second...

so I set my character as a level 99 Ranger, equipped with Matador's Gloves and the Medal of Freedom, giving a Deftness of 895.
Deftness effects the chance for Alchemiracle!? I had no idea about that. :blank: Otherwise I would've kitted out my main character with deftness enhancing gear before attempting to make the 5 Star trousers. I ended up with Eternity Trousers instead. :sad:

In other DQ news, the latest theme on DQVC doesn't seem all that great. :blank:

When are we going to get cool stuff like Afro Wigs and Moustaches again? :D

Welcome to the Alchemiracle club, Grazza! icon14.gif

Thanks!

But hold on a second...

Deftness effects the chance for Alchemiracle!? I had no idea about that. :blank: Otherwise I would've kitted out my main character with deftness enhancing gear before attempting to make the 5 Star trousers. I ended up with Eternity Trousers instead. :sad:

Yep. Each Alchemiracle item has a particular attribute. The Gloves have Deftness, whereas the Infinity Trousers need Magical Might. So, I'd recommend being a level 99 Mage with all the the Magical Might-boosting clothing and equipment when you try it. The photo I took was blurry, but such high Deftness gave me a 50% chance of an Alchemiracle for that item.

Hypernova Sword - Strength

Red-hot Poker - Magical Mending

Dynamo Dagger - Deftness

Aurora Staff - Magical Might

Uber Gringham - Magical Might

Coma Cudgel - Magical Mending

Xenlon Claws - Agility

Dire Critical Fan - Charm

Galaxy Axe - Strength

Starsmasher - Resilience

Galaxarang - Agility

Seraph's Bow - Deftness

Soul Sucker - Resilience

Heavenly Helm - Resilience

Legendary Armour - Resilience

Exotoga - Charm

Seraph's Robe - Magical Mending

Sol Invictus Gauntlets - Strength

Godly Gloves - Deftness

Infinity Trousers - Magical Might

Boots of Beatitude - Strength

Sentient Sandals - Agility

(Connects to DQVC...)

Whoah!! This week it's the Footwear Fayre. Doesn't sound special, but two of the items are the 2% boss drops - the Hero's Boots and, even better, the Sensible Sandals! It means I don't have to keep fighting the Grotto boss again. Don't miss them!

In other DQ news, the latest theme on DQVC doesn't seem all that great. :blank:

When are we going to get cool stuff like Afro Wigs and Moustaches again? :D

It's not that bad, I got some guest character items from the DQVC today!

Yep. Each Alchemiracle item has a particular attribute. The Gloves have Deftness, whereas the Infinity Trousers need Magical Might. So, I'd recommend being a level 99 Mage with all the the Magical Might-boosting clothing and equipment when you try it. The photo I took was blurry, but such high Deftness gave me a 50% chance of an Alchemiracle for that item.

Hypernova Sword - Strength

Red-hot Poker - Magical Mending

Dynamo Dagger - Deftness

Aurora Staff - Magical Might

Uber Gringham - Magical Might

Coma Cudgel - Magical Mending

Xenlon Claws - Agility

Dire Critical Fan - Charm

Galaxy Axe - Strength

Starsmasher - Resilience

Galaxarang - Agility

Seraph's Bow - Deftness

Soul Sucker - Resilience

Heavenly Helm - Resilience

Legendary Armour - Resilience

Exotoga - Charm

Seraph's Robe - Magical Mending

Sol Invictus Gauntlets - Strength

Godly Gloves - Deftness

Infinity Trousers - Magical Might

Boots of Beatitude - Strength

Sentient Sandals - Agility

I see. That must be why getting the Hypernova Sword was relatively simple for me then. You see I spent some time collecting seeds of strength a while back using this technique:

I think I got a bit carried away with it though :heh: as my main character (Minstrel) now has a very high attack stat, even higher than my gladiator! :awesome:

(Connects to DQVC...)

Whoah!! This week it's the Footwear Fayre. Doesn't sound special, but two of the items are the 2% boss drops - the Hero's Boots and, even better, the Sensible Sandals! It means I don't have to keep fighting the Grotto boss again. Don't miss them!

It's not that bad, I got some guest character items from the DQVC today!
Well I didn't realise that super rare shoes were part of this, they didn't show up on my game today. :hmm: Will definitely keep my eyes peeled now though.