N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

I said it'll be one of their big [DS] titles that they would push, and it was, it specifically got talked about as well as Golden Sun and mentioned again once or twice which is what I meant about pushing it at E3, they pushed it at the gaming media like they said they would.

Edit: it's getting a decent amount of exposure on the press site as well.

Not that it really matters.

Edited by Ike

• 2 weeks later...

New issue of Ngamer has a review of the English version, they scored it a nice 91%. They originally scored the Japanese version 84% due to language barrier. DQIX is also featured on the cover (which look sgreat), and they gave some free DQIX DS Lite decal stickers and a double sided poster. There is also a print ad on the back of the issue as well.

Hopefully that'll give the game a little push in sales.

Looks like the Slime Tower is called Slime Stack in the English version, I liked Slime Tower better.

Also, Play.com are giving away Slime caps as a preorder bonus.

Edited by Ike

Nintendo Power - August 2010 score DQIX

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Reviewer: Casey L.

Pros

-postgame content provides endless reasons to get together with friends and quest

-solo adventurers "should still find plenty to enjoy in DQIX"

-localization is fantastic

-"the game is also a feast for the eyes, featuring smooth 3-D environments, colorful town and dungeon designs, well-animated 3-D monsters, and an equipment system that features over 1,000 items with unique appearances"

-new series additions (multiplayer, online, gameplay upgrades) are done without sacrificing the series' core single-player component.

Cons

-filler-heavy MMO-fare postgame content will be of little interest to solo players

-lack of save slots (only 1!)

-multiplayer options aren't quite as flexible as they should be and significant restrictions will disappoint some

I've got it pre-ordered too. This is my most anticipated game, and has been since I played Dragon Quest VIII, there's no doubt about that! However, I haven't read anything about it, because to be honest it just doesn't matter to me what the story is or even what the gameplay's like. Whatever it's like, I'm definitely playing it!

I do have one big hope for it though - that I can use a spear! I love spears in Dragon Quest!

I am getting very hyped for it now, actually. I mean, it's the direct sequel to my favourite RPG of all time! I don't expect it to be as good as VIII, but I do expect it to be the best RPG on the DS. Sounds like I'm expecting too much, but it honestly couldn't live up to the Dragon Quest name if it wasn't the best.

One of the things I love is the recurring line-up of items, weapons, armour etc. I like the fact that when I see "Dragon Mail" I know that'll have great insulating properties, or when I see "Metal King Armour", I know that'll have immense physical defence. Touches like this make playing a new Dragon Quest game like stepping back into my favourite dream. :)

I can already tell I'm going to become too addicted to this. Really need to sort out getting my DS online again before the 23rd (damn you, new BT Home Hub).

I'm only about an hour and a half into, but honestly, I can't find any faults, so far. It's paced perfectly. The story doesn't take itself too seriously at all. People grate on turn-based combat, but to some games it really lends itself brilliantly to. DQ fans already know this - but it's the perfect feel of an RPG; very accessible, yet about as deep as a black hole.

Oh, it's also has such a Level-5 feel, in the best possible way. I knew before I even started it that this would make me realise recent DQ completely spanks down recent FF, but now my stance is just reinforced.

Can't wait to play more!