NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nintendork

December Magazines thread.

Use this thread for magazine stuff, exclusives, news and summaries.

---

This month's EDGE just popped through the door. PS3 covermount with a cheeky Wii on the back. Comes with a free guide of everything to the PS3.

What annoys me most about the price hike is that the quality has noticeably gone down.. 2 months ago the cover's were not centered right so the spine was on the back of the issue and all the pages got butchered. Last month several of the pages at the front fell out and this month it's a few degrees out of place.

50p extra but the professionalism has gone down.

Maybe this just applies to subscribers. I used to buy it in store and they were all perfect.

Anyhow I know next to nothing about Sony this generation so the PS3 guide will be quite interesting anti fanboy propaganda.

Features

-Oddworld studios have shut down but Lorne Lananing is determined to remain in videogames (true shame about that, Oddworld rocked)

-The future of animation and humanising gaming.

-Time extend on Ratchet and Clank

-Black and White feature comparing the Wii and PS3 on a philosophical level. (covered material really)

-The making of - DROPZONE

Reviews

You want to know this more than anything.

Edge 170 scores

Zelda - 9

Gears of War - 8

Final Fantasy XII - 9

Wii Sports - 7

Red Steel - 5

Tony Hawks Project VIII - 8

Rainbow Six Vegas -6

Vice City Stories - 7

Call of Duty III - 7

Sonic - 3 (xbox360/Ps3)

Medieval II - 8

Dark Messiah - 7

Super Monkey Ball - 7

Guitar Hero II - 8

Neverwinter Nights II - 8

Railroad's - 6

Need for Speed Carbon - 6

Lumines II - 6

(thanks Dante)

There are a bunch of other reviews of Wii games.. you'll have to look at a photo of this months contents because I can't be arsed to type.

edgechristmasju5.th.jpg

GameTM, ONM, NGamer and any other noteworthy magazine/newspaper articles/features/reviews in here please.

what did they give lumines 2?

can't wait for GamesTM-best mag ever.

:grin: A 9 for Zelda in EDGE. Although once upon a time that meant something much better. There was a time when a 7 or 8 in EDGE was a must have.

Magazines are too expensive to buy when you can get things online for free, but j7 buys GamesTM so I'll take a peek in there :blank:

Lumines 2 got a 6, pretty much similar territory.

"Each dose cheapening the series overall"

If I had a PSP i'd have the original Lumines, Loco Roco + WipeOut pure. But there's just not enough there to warrant me jumping ship.

If anyone else wants to know a particular game feel free to ask. I'm just a bit rusty after last night.

I'd like to comment that the Call of Duty 3 review in Edge does not include the Wii, they instead previewed the Wii version and they may review in next month.

And I believe Edge were saying Twilight Princess had the quality of a 10 game, but since it does nothing new it doesn't deserve the title of a revolutionary game. They still say that if anyone misses out on the title it's their own fault.

Gears of War got 8, if anyone cares.

I've never liked War games.. but if that's your first war game.. that's going to be absolutely godly.

I might just pick it up on a HD console (should one come my way) The Wii version just doesn't appeal.

Looks like I wont be getting Red Steel:heh:, gonna see what ONM & IGN say though, give me more money fore controllers thoguh.

It's ashame though, because FPS could be awesome on the Wii if done right, but there are problems with turning in Red Steel & CoD3...hopefully this can be ironed out with a more 'complicated' development with turning & such.

Looks like I wont be getting Red Steel

*points to signature*

We're shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't buy Ubisoft games.. because they are great supporters.

The GameCube went downhill because lack of 3rd party support.

If you want it, get it.

I'm getting Red Steel, Monkey Ball and maybe CoD3, I might also get Rayman, and Farcry if there is a games drought in the next few months.

Happy Nintendork? :hehe:

Zelda got 9 in EDGE! :)

I'm still not sure about Red Steel. I will decide whether or not I want it when I play it round a mates house. I'm not too bothered to buy another game apart from Zelda anyway...

I'm getting Red Steel, Monkey Ball and maybe CoD3, I might also get Rayman, and Farcry if there is a games drought in the next few months.

Happy Nintendork? :hehe:

Very. I imagine the general public will like Ubisoft's offerings almost as much as you do.

after the last call of duty video i decided it was a must have. I have ordered red steel too, i'm not convinced single player will last beyong the gimmick, as I have seen very mixed reviews. But multiplayer should be great.

I am really excited about fps on wii, if metroid gets more delayed i'll probably get farcry too, as i have missed out on all the farcry games so far

I'm getting Red Steel regardless of what all the reviewers say. Everytime I've gone by that philosiphy it's turned out the game is hella underrated. I've gone for some highly rated stuff and it's been hella overrated in the past.

I like this topic....

Still waiting for the new issue of Games TM though.....will post scores and other stuff as soon as I get it through the post.

Is the newest issue of (I wanna say NGamer) with the free DVD any good. Need a DVD to put on at work (or even someone to tell me how to repeat on a PS2 sans remote)

Sonic only got a 3?! heard it was awful wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad!!!!

Sega have ruined Sonic ... and i shall never forgive them for it... well not untill they make up for it with Shenmue 3 or another Sonic Rush!

Is the newest issue of (I wanna say NGamer) with the free DVD any good. Need a DVD to put on at work (or even someone to tell me how to repeat on a PS2 sans remote)

if latest issue is the red steel review one still...the DVD's ok got 5 mins of footage, its a mixed bag tho some movies great, some not so.

Well ONM popped up in the reviews thread.

Zelda TP 97%

Wii Sports 90%

Red Steel 91%

Madden 07 86%

Need For Speed Carbon 59%

Call Of Duty 3 86%

Super Monkey Ball:Banana Blitz 81%

Rayman Raving Rabbids 78%

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam 85%

Over-rating as usual, but that's the scale they choose to work on.

Can't imagine many people will go out and get it unless they already intended to.. it's kinda a niche magazine.

All the features appear to be Wii centric. Their website loads so slowly I won't bother pasting over the features.

untitled12334px0.png

TBH none of us expected ONM to give the Nintendo games low scores... they never have and they never will.

Well all offical mags do this. The Zelda score is spot on, as are a few others, in fact Rayman is lower than expected. The ones they've gone overboard with are Wii Sports, Wii Play and Red Steel. This is bizarre, as they've gone with everyone else on the likes of Monkey Ball, which I'm sure will be better than the three they went overboard with, strange!

What's N64/NGC called nowadays? Is it still going?

It's NGamer, and I'm thinking about canceling my subscription.

It's NGamer, and I'm thinking about canceling my subscription.

me too-i just dont like the Red Steel Review-hopefully the TP one will make up for it but we'll see.

Sign in to follow this