Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Battle Royal 2 - Ch4 23:15 tonight

Platty

Just finished watching it on 4. I liked it. It's a different kind of film to BR1 really.

Compared to BR1, I felt that BR2 is much more of a mature film, revolving around humanity and philosophy. Action seemed like an accessory to that theme. I found myself watching it more with my head than eyes, which was the opposite of what I did with BR1. One downside of that approach in BR2 is that it lost its trademark eccentricity, while making what was left look recycled from BR1. It wasn't "fresh" anymore.

Personally, I'm happy with the direction it took and enjoyed it very much. It actually meant something, unlike a lot of hollywood action-thrillers.

I, on the other hand, saw it as a cheap cash in, a pointless waste of space that did away with any kind of intelligence that the first had, replacing it with crap ideas and gimicks.

That's strange. Difference of perception or may be a difference of expectation, I reckon.

Yeah it was politicized. It did seem to try to run a commentary between the lines and that to me was nice. The question has more to do with whether or not that's to your taste and expectation, particularly as a "Battle Royale" Brand. I can see it may not be, because what BR1 tried to do was very different, so they didn't come from the same mould; if you see them in the same light, that would automatically result in misjudgement - much like how Yoshi Touch & Go was misjudged due to many people thinking that it was a platformer, when in reality it was intended to be something along the line of action-puzzle.

At any rate, criticisms are to be expected, but the magnitude of it here did genuinely surprise me. I think in a way I had an advantage (in terms of enjoying BR2) because I had heard that it was disappointing for some so I watched it expecting nothing. I know many people saw it while expecting it to be just like BR1 and amazing, which I'm afraid it wasn't.

All that said, I tend to prefer the approach BR1 took as a film. Films only go on for 2 hours, so narrative-drive films like BR2 is less desirable for me. The characters don't grow on me enough in 2 hours with that style.

I tried to enjoy it but I simply couldn't. In a way i find it painful to watch, I wanted to love it because of how amazing I think the original is.

its fact-the original is one of the best cult films ever made and anyone who doesn't like it is a daffodil!