NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin von Snikbah

The Ultimate Wii FPS Aiming!!1

Here is my ultimate version of the Wii FPS aiming. Just give it a mental try please. The bounding box would be bigger in a real game, but is small here for easy display purpose succes increase.

Green Cross = The point where you are aiming.

Blue Circle = The bounding box.

Enlightened Area = Camera movement direction.

Red Arrows = Automatic camera turning.

ultwiiaimfigayz3.jpg - ultwiiaimfigbcd4.jpg

Fig A: When aiming inside the bounding box, the player can move the camera freely.

Fig B: When aiming outside the box, the camera starts turning by itself.

The only real difference here is that the camera turns when aiming inside the bounding box as well. By adjusting sensitivety, one would easily be able to perform 180 degreee turns without going outside the bounding box. The system gives the player ultimate control.

I think this system could rival the fun factor of a keyboard-mouse setup.

If I could be bothered to search, I posted my description of something similar a few months back, it's also similar to what Mark Bozon suggested, in his blog over on IGN, on Friday.

I dont see why developes dont go with the control method for Metroid Hunters as ive said before. But a bigger box.

We can all complain, but in the end, it counts for jack shit. Unless they decide to change it out of their own accord. If theyve played Red Steel with that control method and finished it and payed it again, im suer itmust be ok for them to keep it.

There seem to be loads of different ways of controlling games (and not just FPS), I like that idea substeinar and think it would work really well. The first idea I thought of though was unsing the nun-chuck movement to move you forwars backwars and look left and right, then the stick on the nun-chuck to look up and down and straf left and right, then the Wii mote just to move your cross-hair around (if thats hard to understand imagin it like the nun-chuck being the main analog stick, and the stick on it the c-stick). In my head i think this would work prety well.

And if there are many different ways of controlling FPS then maybe games should have options so you can set it up how you would like it, althouht I dont know how easy or difficult that would be to.

Isn't this how Red Steel works?

Red Steel has a very large rectangular bounding box, which comes in handy for certain situations. However, turning is very slow *sigh*

So you're sugesting some non linear response do the distance of the cursor to the center?

Isn't that what already happens? :|

I'd prefer no bounding box/dead zone, with rate of turn based purely on how far the crosshair is from the center of the screen - like in this demo I made a while back.

Isn't this how Red Steel, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime Hunters work? The only exception I see is with Metroid Prime. You have to move the crosshair all the way to the edge of the screen to move the camera.

So you're sugesting some non linear response do the distance of the cursor to the center?

I'd prefer no bounding box/dead zone, with rate of turn based purely on how far the crosshair is from the center of the screen - like in this demo I made a while back.

Isn't this how Red Steel, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime Hunters work?

No, no and no. :heh: Im suggesting that you can move the camera when aiming inside the bounding box as well. Only that it moves when your hand moves, and not by itself.

Yes, actually. I would prefer no bounding box/dead zone, with rate of turn based purely on how far the crosshair is from the center of the screen. ;)

SPREAD THE WORD, so via grapevine developers can see for themselves so that we can get some decent FPS games on the Wii with no trade offs with control.

SPREAD THE WORD, so via grapevine developers can see for themselves so that we can get some decent FPS games on the Wii with no trade offs with control.

Maybe score cards should have a category for controls implementation..

So

GRAPHICS A_

SOUND A+

GAMEPLAY A-

CONTROLLER B

OVERALL A+

(can you guess which game)

So basically. Red Steel has a box of some sort. So yes, Red Steel works like this...

Wouldn't you have some problems here? Say you wanted to aim for an enemy you just spotted in the very top right of your screen. You need to act fast so you sharply aim in that direction. He's quite far away and there's no auto-lock, so you need to be pretty accurate. But when you make that sharp turn, the camera turns quickly, forcing you to correct your aim back towards the centre of the screen.

It's a good demo and I'm not saying it's worse than the current methods - but the wiimote is plagued with issues as an FPS....

That would only be a problem if the turn rate sensitivity was too high.

Some kind of modifier to aim quickly at enemies off screen wouldn't be a bad addition though I think. Maybe by holding the A button and shifting the controller laterally left or right you could turn 90° left or right, and holding A and shifting the controller vertically to turn 180°, then let go of the A button reverting you back to normal aiming ready to deal with enemies now in view.

I think a rather small bounding box would work fabulously. Even no bounding box like CS:S considering that the Wii-remote should be used like a mouse.

No the camera in Red Steel doesnt move when moving the aim inside the "box".

wouldn't you need a very small bounding box to move the camera with the slightest turn, but have very low sensitivity so the camera doesn't go in to turning frenzy. Or maybe have two bounding boxes,:heh: .

wouldn't you need a very small bounding box to move the camera with the slightest turn, but have very low sensitivity so the camera doesn't go in to turning frenzy. Or maybe have two bounding boxes,:heh: .

I should never have tried to explain this. :heh:

The point is that you should be able to look around as much as possible without the camera going about on its own.

To do that you need to make the biggest box possible, and lock the reticule to the center. Then you can move the camera with full control. And not having to re-center your aim to stop the camera from moving.

I think a rather small bounding box would work fabulously. Even no bounding box like CS:S considering that the Wii-remote should be used like a mouse.

You realise why that won't work don't you?

Imagine you have to turn 180 degrees, what do you do with your arm? Or do you turn your whole body around and face away from the screen? It's not like a mouse where you can just keep pushing right, or lift it and start turning again. Otherwise that's how all the FPS would be on the Wii :o

Sign in to follow this