Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Oldboy - Friday 11.05pm, Film 4

Stocka

I watched Oldboy recently and... well there's nothing quite like it. I recommend that you all see it on friday if you can, although the screamish may want to avoid, as it's very, very SICK.

200px-Oldboy_movie.jpg

Oldboy (Hangul:올드보이) is a 2003 South Korean film directed by Park Chan-wook based on a Japanese manga of the same name, written by Minegishi Nobuaki and Tsuchiya Garon. The film can be described as a psychological thriller, utilizing many elements of film noir to examine the nature of sin and morality, with distinct themes of Greek tragedy.

Watch it!

I watched Oldboy recently and... well there's nothing quite like it. I recommend that you all see it on friday if you can, although the screamish may want to avoid, as it's very, very SICK.

Watch it!

Thats not strictly true theres quite a lot of similar films to it. However, like Battle Royale it has the whole LOL Asian thing going for it by lots of people on the internet thus hyping it to obscene levels. But despite thats its pretty good and worth a watch.

lol, this is hardly sick, but its fuckin mint. Watched another tartan asia extreme, Gozu last night, thats alright, not very sick, but pretty weird thats for sure.

Another decent foreign film is Das Experiment. You should watch it soon as.

is it just me or do a lot of Japanese films have pretty unhappy endings?

No not just you, but that's what i think helps set asian (Japanese, Korean and Thai escpecially) cinema apart from Hollywood, we've gotten too used to "happy" endings in hollywood films it's almost predictable, with asian films your not sure what the hell could happen

yeah it doesn mean you are always guessing what will happen rather than the Hollywood standard of the good guys winning

I can only think of the Usual Suspects off the top of my head where the good guys lose

Nah threres loads

off the top of my head:

Chinatown

The Wickerman

Seven (sort of)

The Devils Rejects

Match Point

The Talented Mr Ripley

Saw

ill add more later possibly

I love Oldboy its amazing. Lady vengence is also on filmfour this week too.

Damn good movie! I own it on DVD.

I certainly recommend a film called A Bittersweet Life if you liked Oldboy. :)

A bittersweet life is amazing too. The character in it is nuts, how many bullets does he take lol.

Anouther amazing foriegn film is la haine. Everyone should own that.