NEurope
Stocka

Graphics aren't important? Bullsh*t

well duh, Zelda is Cube graphics. Nintendo have not improved them for the Wii. It is the best looking game on the Wii, that's the problem.

Resi 4, Cube game from a few years back looks better than any games on the Wii.

well duh, Zelda is Cube graphics. Nintendo have not improved them for the Wii. It is the best looking game on the Wii, that's the problem.

Resi 4, Cube game from a few years back looks better than any games on the Wii.

The more reason for believing that the Wii is capable of so much more.

Graphics aren't important? Bullsh*t

qft, graphics matter, not as much as gameplay but it matters.

I'm extremely dissappointed with wii graphics, for a so called "next gen" system, I expected the graphics to look at least twice as good as xbox graphics.

from snes to n64, there's a huge leap in graphics

same goes for n64 to gc

but can you say the same for gc to wii?

Remember guys these are bloody launch games, just look at the Xbox360 launch games, the graphics weren't exactly mind blowing.

Give the developers sometime.

Plus, I think next-gen is more to do with AI than graphics and hopefully if Wii doesn't have amazing graphics to wow people then hopefully the AI can or whatever :P

[A]fter seeing some footage of PS3 games today I feel that it is ridiculous to say immensely improved graphics do not evolve video games.

Were you watching Devil May Cry 4? The new Metal Gear Solid? Oh, perhaps Gran Turismo HD? Evolution as it happens, presented in True Real-Time HD.

Yeah, I'm being facetious*, but whilst I'm sure those titles will be great continuations of established franchises that's all they are, the same games we've been playing for years. Graphics are getting 'better', sure, but how does that affect the actual games? The 360 has been out for almost a year now, and I think Dead Rising is the first game I've played where the console's power has been used to do something that was previously restricted by hardware limitations.

Now I know what you're going to say: "Mario and Zelda are the same old franchises too!" Yes, that's quite true, but look how they're changing already due to the added functionality of the Wiimote. Zelda isn't really a 'proper' Wii title as it wasn't built from the ground up with the remote in mind, but already, in a launch day title, you'll be doing something you've never done before, playing a familiar game in a whole new way.

No matter how pretty it is, Devil May Cry 4 will be uncannily like its predecessors. That in itself is no bad thing — the series' fans will certainly enjoy it — but where exactly is it taking us? The games will keep on being tweaked, the graphics will keep on getting more spangly... and development prices will continue to rise, code shops will continue to shut down, and the apathy amongst gamers treading water in a stagnant pastime will become more vocal.

I'm not saying you're not a 'real gamer' if you don't like the Wii or how its games look — it could all turn out to be one huge failure for all I know — but I do think you should appreciate the path Nintendo is headed down. The DS is ostensibly paving the way towards a wider, more diverse market, and when that's grown — when the industry doesn't look to be burying its head in the sand as it flatlines — maybe then we can go back to having technological arms races again. In the meantime, I think I'll be happily twatting Moblins with a pretend sword.

*Well, insofar as this discussion is 'serious' to begin with.

Then no. There's no way Wii could have graphics like that. I don't think it's physically possible.

Didn't see this one before but if that's the case please join us in the wii hardware thread ;)

Remember guys these are bloody launch games, just look at the Xbox360 launch games, the graphics weren't exactly mind blowing.

PGR3?

That game still looks fantastic. And it only uses 1/3 of the 360's graphics :3

PGR3?

That game still looks fantastic. And it only uses 1/3 of the 360's graphics :3

Better graphics = Evolution

New ways to play = Revolution

Neither's better or worse.

This argument about graphics over gameplay has been going on for too long. :horse:

Just buy whatever you think will make you pick up the controller more. Nothing else really matters.

Graphics are important. But Processing power isn't nessicarly important. Give me Killer 7 over Perfect Dark Zero. Eternal Darkness over REmake. (I know a lot of people won't agree with me on the 2nd one.) But the point I am trying to make is graphics are important but its about style to of course style and power mixing is when it really goes mental. Res 4 Ocarina Halo etc.

Just had to pop in this topic and say excellent post!

I can honestly say I never pick graphics over gameplay, if I did I would have got a PSP instead of a DS.

The 360 has been out for almost a year now, and I think Dead Rising is the first game I've played where the console's power has been used to do something that was previously restricted by hardware limitations.

No matter how pretty it is, Devil May Cry 4 will be uncannily like its predecessors. That in itself is no bad thing — the series' fans will certainly enjoy it — but where exactly is it taking us? The games will keep on being tweaked, the graphics will keep on getting more spangly... and development prices will continue to rise, code shops will continue to shut down, and the apathy amongst gamers treading water in a stagnant pastime will become more vocal.

In the meantime, I think I'll be happily twatting Moblins with a pretend sword.

I agree with all of the above.

This argument about graphics over gameplay has been going on for too long. :horse:

I am not arguing that graphics is more important than gameplay ffs, I'm stressing how people that think a massive jump in visuals won't evolve video games is so so wrong.

*Looks at Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Red Steel, Prime 3 and Excite Truck screens* :rolleyes:

Twilight Princess is the same graphics as cube game,

Smash Bros well we carn't comment because that was an FMV they threw together for a trailer

Red Steel well let me just say I have seen better looking games on the xbox early on in its life cycle since the wii is supposed to be 2-3 times as powerful as the cube.

Excite Truck looks very grainy from everything I have seen

White Knight Story Looks fantasic!

Yes, but my God doesn't it look BORING!!! :zzz:

Admittedly, some games look pretty weak but if games can match Twilight Princess and Resi 4 then thats good enough for me.

PGR3?That game still looks fantastic.

I didn't find PGR3 impressive at all. Some subtle additions to details there and there, but still pretty much do-able on original Xbox. And when you add choppy framerate on top of that...

Yes, but my God doesn't it look BORING!!! :zzz:

I totally thought the same thing about Bioshock when i saw the latest video for it.

The game looks great but it looks boring. And the guy commenting on it was making every little detail into a big deal when it so isn't.

OMG i just sprayed the some guy with some red stuff that makes the other guy think its me, an they'll kill each other and i can go do somthing else... :hmm:

For some reason they don't see them as games with good graphics.

Wii Zelda has Cube graphics. Miyamoto did not let the dev team spend time polishing up the graphics for the Wii version: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/726/726749p1.html

I think the point is that Nintendo have skewed things too far in one direction. I don't think that the Wii controller is the be-all and end-all of a gameplay experience. It's the whole package. Graphics alone do not make a great game, but a great game is even better if it has great graphics. By the same token a game does not instantly become great solely because it uses the Wii controller.

Wii Zelda has Cube graphics. Miyamoto did not let the dev team spend time polishing up the graphics for the Wii version:

I think the point is that Nintendo have skewed things too far in one direction. I don't think that the Wii controller is the be-all and end-all of a gameplay experience. It's the whole package. Graphics alone do not make a great game, but a great game is even better if it has great graphics. By the same token a game does not instantly become great solely because it uses the Wii controller.

People like you don't deserve to play games like Zelda: TP.

What nonsense.

I agree.

The whole point of this discussion is very true, Videogame's main focus is gameplay and when the game play is good you've nearly got a great game, but graphics are the second most important factor.

I don't mind playing games with graphics similar to the graphics from this generation because many games from this generation still look very good to this day.

The problem is the Wii is too expensive for something that only offers a new controller and barely any graphical improvement over consoles that were released 5 years before it.

Graphics were important, we've plateued though.. they become less and less important with every game release. Design is more important.. and when developpers don't have to have such collosal teams working on visuals they can oversee the design more so.

The Wii is going to be like when the PSone came out for me.. simple games, new concepts.. pretty good graphics.

Yes this again, and sure it should be a very hot topic. fact is - with the power of the Wii, I think Nintendo will, I'm afraid push a lot of their core fan base away on to one of the other two consoles. Sure they will still buy a Wii just to satify their zelda, mario, metroid needs etc.

But once they make that jump, then they may not be such big Nintendo fans anymore because they will experience a lot of other great games. I am one such gamer, dedicated to Nintendo since owning the N64 but I will be very tempted by the xbox360 and ps3 simply because great 3rd parties games will be better on them.

This whole new control is great, but not necessarily that great on certain games that we will choose it over the better looking version. Afterall there wasn't all that wrong with the traditional control method most of us have been used to for years.

I'm sure it won't be that big of a problem for Nintendo as they will attract a wider, broader audience and achieve their sales. But Wii will be more for casual gamers than hardcore gamers.

I kinda expected graphics to be twice that of Zelda, Resi 4 etc. but nothing we've seen have indicated anything better than the Cube and Xbox

I feel the same way, Nintendo say they will try to expand the market, cater to the casuals and the dedicated, well im a dedicated, and other then the usual nintendo games nothing else really makes me go wow, i mean, Red steel will come out, then you will have 20 other FPS games that will come out, that will do more or less the same thing.

And thats pretty much the same that goes with a lot of the games on Wii.

My favourite games on DS are: Advance wars, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Phoenix wright, Trauma centre and ofcourse, Ouendan.

We have 4 games that dont use the DSs innovation as a primary form of control. Trauma centre, is a superb game, uses the DS, has great graphics, great story, great sound, its a game that excels in all departments.

Ouendan never came out in this country.

Regarding HD, i was under the impression that Nintendo took that out so they could achieve next gen graphics in SD. Seems i was wrong, and frankly the only place ive seen their processors being used in an impressive way is their fucking photo viewer.

Once again, there are some games, that i just dont want Nintendo to Wii on, Zelda is a prime example. This is why im getting both versions, i seriously dont care about swinging my sword around, i just want to sit down relax and enjoy this grand game.

After watching "Blue eyes white dragon" movie, I must say it looks boring, and I'm pretty sure the Wii will be capable of those graphics.

No it cannot.

The fact boils down to this, the majority of Nintendo fans cant simply afford any other console other then the Wii, so they are gonna be defending all things great and crap about the Wii. Over the past years i have seen fanboyism at its worst in these parts, its quite revolting.

And to get things straight, i am not a graphics whore, give me 2D Castlevania over any 3D iteration, and that pretty much applies to Handheld Metroids. I dont care how pretty Metroid prime hunters was on the DS, the controls were cack.

what else, AHH YES, Nintendo have no Online games prepared for launch, but you can check what the weather will be like...

lol, if i had no job, i would actually save up for an xbox 360 then a Wii.Joke.

This post kinda spiralled all over the place.

Edit: I missed one point. The N64, will remain one of my favourite ever consoles, I dont care if it failed or what not, It had some of the best games ever, The controls were sublime, the graphics were great, So many games had A* written all over it.

I think the gamecube graphics are fine. I really wouldn't mind if all games from now looked like that. But that's not to say I don't still want improved graphics, I'm just saying that they're not neccessary to make a game good. As many are saying, I go for gameplay over graphics any day but nice graphics are always a good bonus on top of a fantastic game.

so all day yesterday, im viewing all these gorgeous PS3 games with jealousy and thinking wow Nintendo really dropped the ball.

But then i remembered i was similarly amazed when i saw GC trailers before its launch...PS1 and N64 screens before theyre respective launches...in short, the wow factor never lasts

Face it, after the initial amazement of the PS3 visuals wears off a year into its life, we'll be back on the net, looking for next-next gen mock-ups

As for Nintendo, i think they recognize this truth,

now they need to quit talking 'new generation' and start delivering. Dozens of ''mini-game compilation'' titles is not new generation.

The cars in PGR2 compromised of just over 10,000 polygons each, the cars in PGR3 consist of upto 105,000 polygons, more then a 10-fold increase.

Thank you, but technical blather doesn't affect me at all, and I know I know exactly how many polygons Bizarre Creations touted PGR 3's cars to have. Unfortunately, when you were actually driving, PGR 3 didn't look that much different from PGR 2. Only major advantage it had over PGR 2 was cockpit view, and that was pretty much unplayable (it was just so damn hard to see out sometimes).