Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, are you another Hikaru no Go fan with no desire to play go? There are quite a few of those (Shorty included), it's odd... I only watched/read it because I played.
Actually Hikaru no Go has given me an interest in Go. You may have noticed that jayseven recently really got into the series. Well, he's my flatmate and got into it from my reccomendation. We've both mentioned an interest in playing I wouldn't actually mind trying it, but I find it quite confusing. I picked up some just from watching the series but anything else I've tried to learn gets confusing. If I had a Go board and a book about it handed to me for free, I'd certainly devote time to learning :)

The equivalents of a book and board are obviously online... but somehow it's just not the same :heh:

Yea I knew what you were meaning :) I've now 'ordered' it and now I need to wait till I can watch it, which might take a while.

So far i've download Darker than Black to play on Windows Media Player and an mkv player but I have the same problem with both, same with episode 2 on mkv. Happened with Devil May Cry but I downloaded it again and it was fine. Odd problem. Cruel world too.

Let me hear your views on Dir en Grey when you get your 'copy' of the episodes :heh:

Haha I cant believe you put Dir en Grey. :laughing:

Guest dynastygal

Good band, dir en grey.

@ Shorty, you can get quite a cheap Go Board set from amazon, likewise for an introduction book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Go-Arthur-Smith/dp/0804802025/ref=pd_bbs_6/203-9413731-3270337?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192326192&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-GO-Set-Wooden-Case/dp/B000FUF7TE/ref=pd_bbs_4/203-9413731-3270337?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1192326292&sr=8-4

We have the folding wooden one with the black bits at the side (to the left of the pic) ^^^ I couldn't find just that on amazon though.

Good band, dir en grey.

@ Shorty, you can get quite a cheap Go Board set from amazon, likewise for an introduction book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Go-Arthur-Smith/dp/0804802025/ref=pd_bbs_6/203-9413731-3270337?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192326192&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-GO-Set-Wooden-Case/dp/B000FUF7TE/ref=pd_bbs_4/203-9413731-3270337?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1192326292&sr=8-4

We have the folding wooden one with the black bits at the side (to the left of the pic) ^^^ I couldn't find just that on amazon though.

Please don't get that book, it's the first written on go in the English language and isn't very good even once you get past the victorian language. This site will teach the rules better than any book.

As for boards, there are some very cheap ones here. Please note that it's best for beginners to start on 9x9, but once you get any good you'll want to move up to either 13x13 or the standard 19x19.

But I want to go straight to 19x19 and slam teh stones down from between my middle and forefinger, with a big blur of orange light behind me and a massive KERLACK sound followed by sinister music as my opponent widens their eyes in realisation that I have just turned the game around in a single death-defying move.

Isn't that what real go is like?

But I want to go straight to 19x19 and slam teh stones down from between my middle and forefinger, with a big blur of orange light behind me and a massive KERLACK sound followed by sinister music as my opponent widens their eyes in realisation that I have just turned the game around in a single death-defying move.

It is when I play it. :heh:

No, actually when I play it it's more like putting your hand in your drink instead of your goke by mistake, and puting an icecube down on the board.

Guest dynastygal
Please don't get that book, it's the first written on go in the English language and isn't very good even once you get past the victorian language. This site will teach the rules better than any book.

As for boards, there are some very cheap ones here. Please note that it's best for beginners to start on 9x9, but once you get any good you'll want to move up to either 13x13 or the standard 19x19.

Oops....my dad chose it....when he bought the go board and book for me last Christmas. And yeah, my dad and I have talked about making a 9 x 9 to try out on.

Lmao. My dad takes the piss out of HNG stuff like that.

Guest dynastygal

Well, first time my dad and I played, we did it in a corner. But I guess with bigger lines and spaces between the lines (like in the GO GO IGO videos) it's easier to learn the basics.

The Times: Manga is conquering Britain

MANGA ONCE MEANT COMICS produced exclusively in Japan, where they still cater to every age group and interest, accounting for up to 40 per cent of all publishing. But now they have invaded the UK: this year manga versions of Shakespeare and the Bible have been produced by British publishers, and next weekend British manga artists will discuss their work at Comica, the London International Comics Festival.

Even the Japanese Government recognises that manga can come from anywhere. In 2006 the Japanese Foreign Minister, Taro Aso, a passionate manga reader, launched an International Manga Award for a foreign artist who had best helped to spread the form. Entrants came from 25 countries, including Britain, and the winner was Lee Chi Ching, from Hong Kong. As Chigusa Ogino from the Tokyo manga agency Tuttle-Mori said: “You don't have to have a Japanese passport to do manga.”

Many British youngsters first see manga styles and stories through Pokémon-type cards, computer games and anime (Japanese animation) in the form of television cartoons such as Naruto and Oscar-winning movies such as Spirited Away. Then they discover that bookshop and library shelves are heaving with manga paperbacks. These are often printed with “authentic” right-to-left, back-to-front reading directions, baffling adults, but captivating kids.

And you don't just collect manga, you can make your own. “How to Draw Manga” manuals have become the biggest growth area in art-instruction publishing. British mangaka (comics authors) are self-publishing as fanzines or print-on-demand graphic novels and posting them on the internet. The prime mover in this scene is Sweatdrop Studios. Two of its members, Emma Vieceli and Sonia Leong, won talent searches, and landed the job of illustrating the first of the publisher SelfMadeHero's manga adaptations of Shakespeare. The text-adaptor, Richard Appignanesi, edits Shakespeare's language to fit the balloons and captions while staying faithful to the original. But the locations have been reimagined, with Romeo and Juliet transported to a modern Tokyo of rock stars and yakuza gangs or Hamlet to a cyberpunk future.

Out this month are Paul Duffield's The Tempest, set after an energy crisis has plunged humanity into a second Dark Age, and Patrick Warren's Richard III, rooted in a darkly gothic medieval England. Across 200 pages, these artists demonstrate how vividly manga techniques and pacing can convey motion and emotion.

SelfMadeHero's goal is to make Shakespeare accessible to as wide a readership as possible, and it seems to be succeeding in Britain — the launch titles were reprinted within six months — and also in Japan.

Emma Hayley, the publisher, and two artists received a warm welcome at symposia in Kyoto, Tokyo and Nagoya. “Our books are being used at Japanese universities and I have had many educational institutions there expressing interest in our Manga Shakespeare workshops,” she says.

The Bible has been adapted into comic form before, but the portrayals, especially of Jesus, in Hodder & Stoughton's The Manga Bible are worlds away from traditional Sunday school imagery and, as the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, says, “convey the shock and freshness of the Bible in a unique way”. The artist responsible is Siku, who fuses Japanese influences with experience on the science-fiction weekly 2000AD, home of Judge Dredd,

These are only the most high-profile examples of made-in-Britain manga. The boldest example must be The Mammoth Book of Best New Manga, two volumes of more than 500 pages each of impressively diverse work, from as far afield as Sweden and Thailand. Its editor, Ilya, praises contributors for creating “neither fake manga, nor a pale imitation but something entirely original”.

The appetite for manga culture in Britain shows no signs of abating. Starting next weekend, manga are spotlighted at the ICA's Comica festival, involving 14 young talents from across Asia and Europe.

Comics were mass-marketed by America in the early 20th century, stimulating imitations everywhere, including Japan. A century later, a Japanese export has become the template for the future of comics.

I was making my way through AMV Hell 3 and i came across a clip of a girl in a halo and red coat brutally murdering a boy multiple times with a spikey club. Can anyone give me the name of the series?

took a screen grab because i feel my description is crappy.

amvhell.jpg

Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro-chan.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan Lit. Club-To-Death Angel Dokuro-chan is a fiction series written by Masaki Okayu and illustrated by Torishimo centering around a young boy and an angel from the future who constantly gets him into trouble and kills him violently and repeatedly with a giant spiked club, only to resurrect him seconds later.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan tells the story of Sakura Kusakabe, a third-year junior high school student who sometime in the future is going to offend God by inadvertently inventing immortality. Women are affected so that they stop aging after the age of twelve and Sakura is accused of creating a "Pedophile's World". Dokuro Mitsukai, a member of an order of angel assassins that are called Rurutie, has been sent from the future to kill him. Believing that Sakura can be redeemed, Dokuro decides instead to keep Sakura so occupied that he can never develop the immortality technology. Due to her impulsive nature, however, she frequently kills him - with her gigantic spiked kanabō (club) she has named Excalibolg - on a moment's impulse, returning him to life moments later with angelic magic. Sabato, another assassin of the Rurutie order who uses her feminine wiles to do her jobs, is dispatched to complete Dokuro's original mission: Sakura's assassination.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!