NEurope
Hellfire

Wii Region Free?

Controllers price: WTF, way over the top in price.

How they dare to have most complex and technically advanced controller in console history for 10 dollars higher price than competitors! How dare they! Nintendo should give free money to everyone who buys Wii! Down with capitalism!

Way to go nintendo! You sure have released a console for the masses.

Sure, they release console for masses, not for asses that should fucking grow up.

And what logic dictates VC games should be region locked? WTF more reason to wait for PS3.

Wii console price: OK, not hat bad.

Controllers price: WTF, way over the top in price.

No DVD: WTF are nintendo doing. X360/Ps3 = DVD Playback

Photo Viewer: WOW, thanks Nintendo. Useless.

Weather channel: Thanks again, now I dont need to watch the news

Online games: None at launch, soory.

High def: No, we want to make our console affordable to everyone, by at least being $40 AUD cheaper than X360 premium.

Region locked: YES/NO/MAYBE. OK it is.

Way to go nintendo! You sure have released a console for the masses.

Don't buy a Wii then. Nobody's forcing you to.

I'm sure Nintendo will have many a sleepless night over you not agreeing with their console vision.

Wrong Red Steel is definately online

Wrong Red Steel is definately not online

(at launch anyway ...unless I've missed something big)

I kinda agree with small tac but would see it as futile to post such feelings so strongly on a ninty fansite

David Yarnton is basically sales manager. Nintendo japan does the product designs. So he is not the first to know some new things relating to tech or games. However, something thats fundamental to marketing strategy, he would know and has stated clearly. Get over it.

No need to get naughty. All I'm saying is that in a toss up between the head of NoA's marketing and NoE's, I know who I'd side with.

Also, being region-free wouldn't be 'fundamental to marketing strategy' at all. On the other hand, I'd think the unveiling of a new handheld iteration, one which was aimed at a new demographic and that would require a different marketing slant, -would- be, as you say, fundamental to marketing strategy.

Anyway, I'd say the most likely scenario is that the US and Japanese machines can play each others' games due to hardware similarities; just look at the 'Cube where all that's required is a simple switch fitted. PAL machines appear not to share these similarities, however, hence our reliance on Freeloader.

Wrong Red Steel is definately not online

(at launch anyway ...unless I've missed something big)

I kinda agree with small tac but would see it as futile to post such feelings so strongly on a ninty fansite

Thats why the ubisoft dude at E3 said it had a simple deathmatch mode and other things. Otherwise whats the point of even making it online straight out of the box.

Dumbasses

Thats why the ubisoft dude at E3 said it had a simple deathmatch mode and other things. Otherwise whats the point of even making it online straight out of the box.

Dumbasses

No he didn't, he said it might have an offline multiplayer and they'd discuss online multiplayer later on.

Dumbass.

And I don't know who I'd side with Ithink though theres a simple solution, all virtual console games as long as you can understand english get to download those games.

Whilst full retail games will not be region free same with the online services such as if they deceide to add an alarm clock feature.

No he didn't, he said it might have an offline multiplayer and they'd discuss online multiplayer later on.

Dumbass.

I wasn't refering to members here as dumbasses just Nintendo and ubisoft sorry about the confusion.

I'm sure Nintendo will have many a sleepless night over you not agreeing with their console vision.

They will when few others buy the Wii in Eurpe and Australia. Plus MS$ are sure to drop the price on the Premium X360 now.

They will when few others buy the Wii in Eurpe and Australia. Plus MS$ are sure to drop the price on the Premium X360 now.

Both will drop their prices when the PS3 launches. Nintendo will go down to £150 and Microsoft's Premium will drop to £250 or less. The core will have stopped being made by then.

Both will drop their prices when the PS3 launches. Nintendo will go down to £150 and Microsoft's Premium will drop to £250 or less. The core will have stopped being made by then.

the core should never have been made in the first place!

I have to agree there I got a premium, and the silver (or chrome as M$ likes to state) is tacky almost like someone put a silver sticker on

I have a core. Fuck the tacky looking silver disc drive.

then you've paid through your nose to get the fuctionality i got for an extra 70 quid.

i like the silver disc tray thing, the clicky button feels good to press lol

thats the only (very pety) fault with the 360-the core shouldnt have been made at all.

I remember the time NoE suggested Metroid Prime Hunters from US wouldn't work online against with UK copies of the game, and it would be impossible to have VoIP, etc...

Well, they sucessfully managed to avoid a lot of imports.

They might be just buying time, this keeps 90% of the importers on-hold for the 20 days/3 weeks they need.

we know the console is region locked though, the games are the ones who might opt to lack it, according to kaplan.

I'd rather believe kaplan's words since she is one of the 5 most influential Nintendo staff worldwide.

My take on whether its region locked or not:

The whole situation definitely needs to be clarified, someone has got it wrong.

- You can probably play any Wii game from Nintendo on any console.

- 3rd parties choose what they want to do.

However online features such as the news channel are likely to be operated by each individual region and so getting a European console means that feature wont work in the US or Japan, or Australia.

- You can probably play any Wii game from Nintendo on any console.

- 3rd parties choose what they want to do.

That's what I thought,I believe Perrin more than David.

then you've paid through your nose to get the fuctionality i got for an extra 70 quid.

i like the silver disc tray thing, the clicky button feels good to press lol

thats the only (very pety) fault with the 360-the core shouldnt have been made at all.

He only got it because there weren't any Premium's available at the time.

That's what I thought,I believe Perrin more than David.

Definitely! The day after David Yarnton refuted rumours that the DS was getting a redesign, Iwata made a press release that announced the DS lite plans.

One of the Penny Arcade forums members sent Gamespot Eurogamer and Gameindustry.biz articles. Gamespot promised to investigate and here is the result:

Wii to be region-free?

Source: The hopes and dreams of Nintendo fans everywhere and, more specifically, Wired News.

What we heard: Gamers hoping to flail about while playing the latest Japanese-only games on their US Wiis take note: Nintendo's next-gen console appears to be region-free.

The question of whether or not gamers will be able to play imported games on the upcoming console has been looming for quite some time now, with Nintendo neither confirming nor denying the feature. The company embraced region-free gaming with the Nintendo DS but has been evasive when asked if the Wii would follow suit.

However, today among the heavy stream of Wii news, Wired News said Nintendo of America VP of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan had finally confirmed that the console will indeed be region-free--in theory.

"Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted."

Nintendo still has yet to make a wide, media-friendly announcement on the subject. Hyping a feature such as region-free gaming would seem to be a no-brainer, so the company's coy stance raised concerns. Even the article's author seemed a bit skeptical with a careful choice of words: "Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted."

The official story: Getting answers from Nintendo proved difficult during one of the company's busiest days of the year. However, after a lengthy exchange of cryptic e-mails, a rep finally confirmed that Kaplan's words regarding regionless first-party titles and potentially regionless third-party titles were indeed correct: "[The] Wii will be region-free."

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24981977&sid=6157671

It makes sense to make it region free but to allow the system to be locked by certain publishers.

It holds publisher accountable to translate the game quickly before people import it, if the publisher delays it they directly lose sales.

I think it is good as it will empower the consumer, like the DS has.

I would expect it to be region free but I've heard otherwise, not getting my hopes up like.

David Yarnton must be just be doing what he did with the DS Lite. Definately trust Perrin Kaplan more than him.

How they dare to have most complex and technically advanced controller in console history for 10 dollars higher price than competitors! How dare they! Nintendo should give free money to everyone who buys Wii! Down with capitalism!

Sure, they release console for masses, not for asses that should fucking grow up.

im really getting pissed off with this blind fanboyism.People like u wouldnt have cared if it was the same as ps3 price.u just would have said its innovative and left it at that.

Its £20 less than a proper mainstream console with true next gen graphics and HD!

The controllers are a joke.Im going to have to buy 3 controllers and i have to buy them seperatly.

im waiting for a price drop anyway

on topic:I hope it becomes region free and even if it doesnt i suppose there might be a way round it.