NEurope
Aussie

Sonic the Hedgehog

You know the Sonic parts look great, but then I see Shadow and whatsitsname a thin robotnik, humans, generic princesses and city hub levels and my excitement just fades away.

Sonic the Hedgehog DEMO now up on XBox Live Marketplace xD {314.50 MB}

Sonic demo is craptastic

by Richard Mitchell

xbox360fanboy.com

If Sonic creator, Yuji Naka, knew that this is where SEGA wanted Sonic to go, it's no wonder he left the company. The Sonic demo, if you haven't played it yet, is bad. Really bad. Believe me, I am a Sonic fan. I write for 360 Fanboy it's true, but I am a SEGA fanboy at heart. Thus, it hurts me even more to tell you that the demo is just not very good. It's not unplayable, but parts of it are close. Read on for more.

First, the elephant in the room: the camera. To answer the question, no, it hasn't been fixed. The same camera issues that have plagued all of Sonic's 3D adventures are present even in this short, short demo. It stays too close to Sonic. So close that you often can't even see the enemy that your about to jump on. Sure, you can control it yourself, if by control you mean pan left and right. This is just shoddy, 32-bit camera design, folks. It made sense before all consoles had two analogue sticks, but why in God's name would you limit camera control to merely panning left and right? Half the time you can't even see where you're going to land! Why any game lacks FPS style camera control in this day and age is a mystery to me.

Second, the controls. Again, we see the same issues that have been present since Sonic Adventure. When running at full speed, even the slightest nudge on the left stick sends Sonic careening in another direction, often causing Sonic to fall to an unexpected death. The homing attack is back. Created to solve the problem of hitting enemies in a 3D space, the homing attack presents its own problems which are only exacerbated by the camera. It works great as long as there is an enemy or interactive element near by. However, if there is no enemy, Sonic merely jets off in whatever direction he's pointing. Oftentimes, he just happens to be pointing directly off of a ledge. Again, untimely death is often the result. To make matters worse, you're often homing in on enemies that the camera won't let you see. So, you might think you're homing in on a robot, only to rocket off in the opposite direction and, again, fall to your death -- beginning to see a pattern here?

Look, it's not terrible, but it sure as hell doesn't live up to the hype SEGA has put around it. If anything, it is blessedly short. You can whiz through the single level in under sixty seconds if you're so inclined. I want to love this game, and I'll still probably rent it, but if you want a real Sonic experience, you're probably better off waiting for the original to hit XBLA.

Sonic fans go mad as hell over bad Demo - You can read their comments here

^

I really hope they get some of the control issues fixed. It can be a good game, if they fix it up a bit.

Still haven't fixed the camera?

You would of thought by now that the camera would of been better,especially with the complaints.I really hope they fix it,shame to see a new Sonic game looking that good having a bad camera.

Might of been the demo at E3,there was a video where the person kept dying.Hope GS are right.

TGS 06 Producer Interview

13726-t_sonicnext_nakamura_kumono_int_gtgt_large.jpg

Sonic heads back to the basics and Producer, Masahiro Kumono, explains why the change was needed.

Got Sonic Adventure on my Dreamcast. It's not great, and the Sonic games have got even worse since then. Something tells me this is gonna be very average, even the Wii version.

Well, I finally finished the demo (crapness held me back). I want to love the game, and I may end up buying it, but I'm not optimistic.

Running around at the speed of sound, got places to go GOT TO FOLLOW MY RAINBOW

Crush 40 are fucking brilliant!

Worst crush 40 song. period.

And my fucking god, a remake of the first SA level? How terrible, I'd laugh if this game was just a rehash of SA with remade levels and a different story.

My Sonic fandom is dying..

I wouldn't call it they're worst song :heh:

Well whilst I'll still get it (when I get a Xbox 360) i'm still not expecting alot from it. The original 2D sonics on the Mega Drive were the greatest and still are the greatest games I've ever played and every 3D sonic has gone down hill since.

TGS 06 Producer Interview

13726-t_sonicnext_nakamura_kumono_int_gtgt_large.jpg

Sonic heads back to the basics and Producer, Masahiro Kumono, explains why the change was needed.

Uh.. It sounded like some typical PR talking to me.

SEGA Announces Voice Talent For The Next Generation Of 'Sonic The Hedgehog'

Lacey Chabert Voices the Character of Princess Elise in Upcoming Sonic Video Game

5.jpg lacey-chabert-07.jpg

lacey-chabert-019.jpg lacey-chabert_28025.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (October 6, 2006) - SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Lacey Chabert (Party of Five, Mean Girls) will take part in gaming history by joining the cast of Sonic The Hedgehog™, playing the role of Princess Elise. Slated for release this holiday season, Sonic The Hedgehog marks the gaming icon's first adventure on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Lacey Chabert brings her diverse voice acting experience to the Sonic The Hedgehog project. This is the first time in the history of the franchise that Hollywood talent will voice one of the characters in a Sonic game.

"We are thrilled to work with Lacey Chabert for SEGA's premiere franchise, Sonic The Hedgehog," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing for SEGA of America Inc. "As we take Sonic into the next generation of gaming, Lacey's experience and talent are the perfect match for the game's deeper storyline, delivering the powerful emotional connection that gamers have grown to expect from Sonic titles."

"I couldn't be happier to make my video game debut in Sonic The Hedgehog," said Lacey Chabert. "I've been playing Sonic games since I was nine years old, and I am so excited to be part of his 15-year legacy!"

4508620060908_180021_20_big.jpg

Your kidding,Crush 40 are amazing.

Crush 40 aren't in the game?

Well at least it has something going for it :p

Crush 40 rule...the only shite song they did was the Sonic Heroes main theme, City escape rocked as well as the SA2 theme. :shakehead

Brand new out of this world gameplay trailer ->

HERE

wowowowwowowoowwoowoowowoowowowowowowowowoowow wowowowoww wowowo

sonic-the-hedgehog-next-gen-20050908091159639.jpg

sonic-the-hedgehog-next-gen-20050908091200436.jpg

These were the very first screenies released, where did the game go? Because what I played on my 360 was no where near as impressive as this.