NEurope
Aussie

Sonic the Hedgehog

STH plays a pantload better than both "Adventures", but the speed and level design often let it down. Oh and the host of other superficial design cockups.

Playing the levels in the "trial" mode strips it of most of the annoying stuff except cheap deaths, and you can still have a lot of fun with it that way - especially if you bump up the difficulty a bit.

Just got a promo copy of this in the post today and I've got to say, it's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Just got a promo copy of this in the post today and I've got to say, it's one of the worst games I've ever played.

QFT. I'm glad it's out of my house.

ok just completed both shadows and sonics storys and i can honstly say i like this game, yes sure load times and glitches are a plently, but if u can get past them its a wonderful game

kudos sega (just plz leave omega out of any new sonic games)

STH plays a pantload better than both "Adventures", but the speed and level design often let it down. Oh and the host of other superficial design cockups.

Playing the levels in the "trial" mode strips it of most of the annoying stuff except cheap deaths, and you can still have a lot of fun with it that way - especially if you bump up the difficulty a bit.

Hmmm, I'm not sure tbh, the "Adventure" games played well imo. They were simplistic and easy to get the hang of.

Though I agree that playing STH on hard difficulty is a lot more fun. I found the hard levels to be better than the normal ones in story mode.

Shadow combat rocks. :) Light daggers for the absolute win.

Again, seconded. :) Imo, Shadow is the best character in the game. His levels are speedy(ish), the amigo sections aren't that annoying and he has the best combat. The Shadow's Episode story is a lot better than Sonic's. It actually kind of suits his character too.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Adventure games aswell. Especially the first one because I thought it had an incredible flow and a really memorable story aswell.

It played well thanks in large part to being slow though, and it had way more different things to do, like climbing the icy spikes in Icecap or riding the stone snake thingy in Lost World. It mixed things up well and you got a sense of going fast without going incredibly fast.

STH is slow too in a way, but it has way more precision based stuff like grinding and jumping off of rails and returning to them. The homing attack controls are vastly improved and let you target pretty much anything, giving you more freedom to get off the beaten path then return to it safely. In general, once the characters are off the ground and fighting, STH wins in sheer control precision with me.

Oh and fighting needs an extra mention. Wait until you have the slow motion upgrades and stuff with Sonic, bump up the difficulty and shred some Robotnik henchmen! :D

Sliding to make the huge robots trip -> X bounce to make them fly into the air -> homing attack them in the air and watch them spin/explode. Sooo satifying.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but this might interest some of you. Somone called Link from sonic-cult has been hacking StH on 360, and stumbled upon this:

http://sonic-cult.org/!trash/sthhacks/?vidfile=super

It's not finished, but what it ws meant to do is blatant. That... kinda really annoys me tbh, it just goes to show how much Sega rushed this game to get it out in time for Christmas. There's more stuff here: http://www.sonic-cult.org/newsx/fullnews.php?id=141

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but this might interest some of you. Somone called Link from sonic-cult has been hacking StH on 360, and stumbled upon this:

http://sonic-cult.org/!trash/sthhacks/?vidfile=super

It must cut out early for me or something because i'm not noticing anything unusual.

EDIT- Oh, he almost goes Super Sonic, yeah. Would have been a nice addition, but I don't think anything short of tearing everything down and starting again would have saved this.