NEurope
solitanze

No DVD Playback On Wii?

Yeah, it's probably not in there. Nintendo have said nothing about it for a year now. Oh well.

Who hasn't got a DVD player these days? The Wii wouldn't even decode Dolby Digital so I wouldn't have ever used it.

If it's true this is bad news (for me at least). I only have a finite amount of space, plugs and connectors under my TV. My DVD player was going to make way for Wii on the basis of DVD suppport (using the dongle).

This propaly will disappoint someon, but arent DVD player common in households these days?

Hmm, rather interesting. I'm not that phased, as I have a PS2, but perhaps Nintendo just doesn't want to promote that feature.

Or, they are secretly releasing a Blu Ray compatible device. Imagine the look on Sony's face. But that definitely wouldn't happen, far too expensive.

Yeah..and I need my Multi-Region DVD player for Godzillas and Anime anyway & it's a VCR player too, which i need aswell :P So I'm really not fussed.

most people should have one and if they don't have one chances are they don't want one, you can get cheap ones now for just over the price of a new dvd movie. I have 3 in my room hooked up but i very rarely use them now that i have a networked media player.

Got a top notch player that plays all region DVDs, NTSC on PAL only TV, VCD, SVCD, MP3, photo cds and, most importantly, DivX and it cost me the grand total of £35. Who cares if the Wii doesn't have a DVD player?

I want a dvd player! I dont care if the wii is delayed till march 2007 I want a dvd player! :wink:

I don't mind not having one in my room, but I wouldn't mind having one either. :p

to be frank....im not bothered. I have my 360 and a DVD player in my room. 360's dont play burnt DVD's see.

If it does come for it then i will get it just to watch The Waterboy DVD just slide into the hole.

...But I want to play, rewind, fast forward etc. with a flick of my wrist :-S

That would be reason enough to buy the dongle

You can get a damned DVD Player that will play anything for as low as €40 so what's the big deal? I buy my consoles to play games, period.

5 DVD players in my house. My sister has one, I have one, we have a main one for HDTV, PC is DVD enabled and Xbox has it but I didn't get the dongle. No concern to me, it was probably dropped for console price issues.

Honestly, I think it would've turned out crappy anyway. The DVD players in the PS2 and Xbox aren't top-notch and as I said before the Wii lacks digital surround sound. It wouldn't add value to the console considering the amount of DVD players out there.

This would actually be bad news for me if it turns out to be true.

I was counting on the Wii supporting DVD playback because I have a crappy Sony DVD player/VCR and I have to play a cassette for at least an hour or the DVD player won't work.

it could easily be added at a later stage.

maybe nintendo dont want to bother at launch as they want to be the only "DEDICATED GAMES MACHINE".

only technical reason not to include it may be to do with a copy protection system.

its about as wanted as that GBA mp3 player thingy anywat

If it's true this is bad news (for me at least). I only have a finite amount of space, plugs and connectors under my TV. My DVD player was going to make way for Wii on the basis of DVD suppport (using the dongle).

Just get a plug adaptor with extra sockets: peace:

Although for many of us the lack of a DVD player doesn't bother us. For alot of people it will be like an extra selling feature as it was with the PS2/Xbox last generation.

You may say that this is a totally new generation but little 'gimmicks' like that can attract a lot of attention.