N-Europe

How strong is your taste?

Supergrunch

I read this thing in New Scientist that tells you how to work out the strength of your taste.

What you need: Blue food colouring, a hole reinforcer, and possibly magnifying mirror.

What you do: Put a drop of the food colouring on your tongue. If you look closely, you should see little pink thingies standing up from the blue. (these contain your tastebuds) You need to stick a hole reinforcer on the middle of your tongue, and count the number of pink thingies in the hole.

If you have around 20, you are a normal taster.

If you have 50 or more, you are a super taster.

If you have less than 5, you are a non taster.

When I tried this, I put far too much food colouring on my tongue and got it all over my hands and around my mouth as well... Luckily it's mostly come off now. :heh:

You can probably do it without the blue food colouring if you are scared of this happening...

Anyway, I come out as a super taster, which explains why I'm so picky about food.

What be you?

I think there's also a chemical that tastes bitter to super tasters, detectable to normal tasters and non tasters can't taste it. They gave us paper soaked in it in biology once.

Anyway, I think the characteristics vary, all it means is the number of tastebuds you have and thus how well you can taste.

Super taster.

makes no difference to your taste, just how sensitive you are to flavours.

tastes can be developed, basically the more familiar a taste is the less unpleasant it tastes.

I guess super tasters would be more capable of tasting when food is going off - I know I can taste milk going sour before anyone else in my house, but that could just be because I'm a fussy eater?

I think there's also a chemical that tastes bitter to super tasters, detectable to normal tasters and non tasters can't taste it. They gave us paper soaked in it in biology once.

Could that be the reason why some people, like my girlfriend, like grapefruit, whereas as far as I'm concerned it's not even edible to humans and there's been a mistake somewhere along the line? I'm not picky at all, but to me it just tastes like it should be poisonous. It's the only thing of the top of my head I simply cannot stomach.

Could that be the reason why some people, like my girlfriend, like grapefruit, whereas as far as I'm concerned it's not even edible to humans and there's been a mistake somewhere along the line? I'm not picky at all, but to me it just tastes like it should be poisonous. It's the only thing of the top of my head I simply cannot stomach.

it may be the reason you don't feel inclined to eat it, but if you force yourself to taste it strictly every day - just a tiny bit and swallow, you'll find an increasing tolerance to the flavours, and eventually you would learn to like it.

also that bitter taste is meant to put people off, its a taste you have to acquire.

If you eat alot of bitter foods you'll be able to eat it more.

with grapefruit it does actually taste nice, you just need to get over the bitter barrier. I don't eat it enough to enjoy it fully, but I can eat it if there isn't a more attractive option available

it may be the reason you don't feel inclined to eat it, but if you force yourself to taste it strictly every day - just a tiny bit and swallow, you'll find an increasing tolerance to the flavours, and eventually you would learn to like it.

also that bitter taste is meant to put people off, its a taste you have to acquire.

If you eat alot of bitter foods you'll be able to eat it more.

with grapefruit it does actually taste nice, you just need to get over the bitter barrier. I don't eat it enough to enjoy it fully, but I can eat it if there isn't a more attractive option available

Hmm, seems like it might in part be genetic!

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/2/391