N-Europe

Mario Strikers Charged Football

EchoDesiato

What's a Champs League like?

Go my supreme knowledge of football.Also Tournament Thread will be up in a few hours now.

Champions League starts with 4 small leagues, in each league, every team plays every other team twice (1 home, 1 away).

When all this has been done, you start a knockout round:

League 1 Winners Vs League 3 Second

League 2 Winners Vs League 4 Second

League 3 Winners Vs League 1 Second

League 4 Winners Vs League 2 Second

(I think)

Each match has 2 games (1 home, 1 away), at the end of the second match the scores from both matches are added together for the final score.

Final only has 1 game, in a stadium stated before the knockout round begins.

(I think so anyway - I only keep a slight eye on football to predict the mood my step dad is in)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Champions League starts with 4 small leagues, in each league, every team plays every other team twice (1 home, 1 away).

When all this has been done, you start a knockout round:

League 1 Winners Vs League 3 Second

League 2 Winners Vs League 4 Second

League 3 Winners Vs League 1 Second

League 4 Winners Vs League 2 Second

(I think)

Each match has 2 games (1 home, 1 away), at the end of the second match the scores from both matches are added together for the final score.

Final only has 1 game, in a stadium stated before the knockout round begins.

Correct.

Teams are drawn into eight groups of four teams, each team playing every other team in the group twice (home and away). The group stage is played between mid-September and early December. The teams finishing third in their groups are transferred to the UEFA Cup, while the top two teams from every group qualify for the next round. Here the sixteen remaining teams take part in the knock-out stage, which starts in late February and ends with the final match in May.

All qualifying rounds and knock-out ties are two-legged, with each team hosting one match. The team which scores the greater aggregate number of goals qualifies for the next round. The away goals rule applies. Extra time and penalty kicks are used to determine the winner, if necessary. An exception is the final, which is a single match played at a predetermined venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League

I'm not convinced that having two-legged knockout ties would be worthwhile in our context though. Might get a bit too complicated. Maybe just play them at neutral stadia, á la the final.

Ah I see.Thanks for the info guys.

That's pretty much in the tournament already :heh:

There's a sort UEFA Cup thing that the 3rd place people move on to.It might be 2 legs but that depends on the final number of applicants.

The tournament lay-out will alter slightly when/if more people sign up due to higher numbers.

Ah I see.Thanks for the info guys.

That's pretty much in the tournament already :heh:

There's a sort UEFA Cup thing that the 3rd place people move on to.It might be 2 legs but that depends on the final number of applicants.

The tournament lay-out will alter slightly when/if more people sign up due to higher numbers.

I'd like to get credit for the UEFA Cup idea :heh:

Cheers!

On another note,am loving this summary from the Eurogamer review:

Of course, like most sports games, Mario Strikers is best played against friends - up to four, with decent Wi-Fi options. The single player game is strong enough to warrant a purchase too, especially as Mario Strikers finally breaks the recent drought of Wii releases. As the most original, admittedly surreal, take on the sport for years, Mario Strikers is a gem of a game and manages to flawlessly meet Nintendo's brief of appealing to absolutely everybody.

One think I have noticed about this in recent days is how crucial the sidekicks could be...I didn't realise quite how much their special moves could help swing games, its a good thing though I guess if you go for one of the more defensive captains, means you still have go scoring potential in a sidekick.

Maybe this is unlikely, but not impossible- if two teams are tied after 2 legs in the knockout stages (away goals and everything), what happens? Do they play a deciding game at a neutral venue?

Perhaps with Golden goal Rules? (So a draw in that match won't matter...unless goalless)

..golden goal seems harsh perhaps I think..

Maybe you could start a deciding game and allow each player to have a super/megastrike (whatever) at each others goal. Whoever scores the most goals from their strike go through...?

I think a deciding game is best option though..

It's likely to be a 3rd match to decide the winner.

Once I have the game, i'm gonna see what options there are,see if you can do penalties or something.

But having a 3rd match where there will be a selected stadium and the players use there back-up captain(since it's not a home match for any of them)

I wonder if you can have a penalty shoot out or something...rather than a regular match?! Doubt you can though...

EDIT:

One other idea...we could change the rules for the decider game....cos you can either have games that are time related or score related so could have first to 5 goals or something...

I wonder if you can have a penalty shoot out or something...rather than a regular match?! Doubt you can though...

EDIT:

One other idea...we could change the rules for the decider game....cos you can either have games that are time related or score related so could have first to 5 goals or something...

That's a cracking idea. Sort of golden goal, but sort of not. Maybe turn off the Megastrike for that one though (I think you can).

I've had this into consideration aswell.If we can set the rules of the match to stop when a certain amount of goals is reached then I would do that.

If not keep playing till it's not a tie :heh:

I've had this into consideration aswell.If we can set the rules of the match to stop when a certain amount of goals is reached then I would do that.

If not keep playing till it's not a tie :heh:

You can definitly change the rules to set number of goals, I've read it somewhere...so yeah we could do this...but only for the decider game, I think the chances of being level on away goals and score is very unlikely I mean say one leg is 7-6, what are the chances that the second leg would be 7-6 as well?!

You can definitly change the rules to set number of goals, I've read it somewhere...so yeah we could do this...but only for the decider game, I think the chances of being level on away goals and score is very unlikely I mean say one leg is 7-6, what are the chances that the second leg would be 7-6 as well?!

If you can definently do that then that's really good and that's what will happen.

And your right the odds of this actually happening are pretty low.

Just fixing some tournament layouts then the thread will open up.

..although it could be unlikely, the fact is that it is a possibility it could happen and therefore something needs to be decided before things get underway.. I like this idea best though.

Yeah me to, I was just saying it was unlikely to happen, so I think if we change the rules for a one off decider people are unlikely to get upset about it...

anyway when is the tournament thread going up?

Oh dear, you've said it now.

This will now happen at least 3 times in the tournament :grin:

Well, we're prepared for it, so it won't happen.

If someone forefits during the league stage shall we just remove all their points, and the points people have aquired from playing them?

Well, we're prepared for it, so it won't happen.

If someone forefits during the league stage shall we just remove all their points, and the points people have aquired from playing them?

that is a good idea...I think we should do that defo....

I checked out that video from jeux-fance again and it didn't have two people playing against each other with the same captain. But it didn't seem to be the case that you couldn't do it, as you decide your teams at the same time but the oponents team isn't shown until after you've selected yours.

Also on this video it's shown that you can have a timed match or a goal limit.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!