N-Europe

"TV" card for Laptop

Cube

Well, I'm off to university in september, and as my TV is too large to take with me, and I can't really afford a new one, I was thinking of trying to find something to let me connect stuff to my laptop.

However, as most TV is cack, I don't actually want it for TV (especially with the cost of a TV license), all I want it for is the GameCube (until early (hopefully) november) and Wii.

So, basically, does anyone know anything that will allow me to attach composite or scart to run on my laptop?

It doesn't matter about the audio (I can attach that to my Hi-Fi). I'm havint trouble finding something to suit my needs.

Oh, and sorry for the mess, I'm crap at explaining.

I too am interested in a TV card for uni. Mainly to craftly dodge the license fee. Ideas? Legal? But more importantly: will they ctach me?

I have a TV card I'm going to use at Uni - came with my comp for £32, digital (recieves freeview) and allows tivo style rewind/record functions. Unfortunately a Television License refers to anything able to recieve a TV broadcast, so I'd assume you could be caught out just as easily.

Illegal and they will catch you. Don't bother trying to dodge the fee, it will end up costing you loads more than you would've originally paid.

Just wondering, how do they monitor if you have TV or not? Especially if you are using an external aerial, and don't have a TV?

Just wondering, how do they monitor if you have TV or not? Especially if you are using an external aerial, and don't have a TV?

I'm wondering that too. How the hell do they know if you have, for example, something like this?:

1215026.jpg

Do they spy on you with security cameras, or do they just enter the room stampeding to find any illegal material? That thing fits in your pocket.

I have an anysee USB digital tv -thing. You just plug the antenna to the antanna socket and the usb wire to the pc. Works nicely :) (The software is a bit buggy. But it works most of the time)

And it's about the same size as that pinnacle box.

I'm wondering that too. How the hell do they know if you have, for example, something like this?:

1215026.jpg

Do they spy on you with security cameras, or do they just enter the room stampeding to find any illegal material? That thing fits in your pocket.

They don't see your actual hardware/devices, they just have scanners that can detect receivers picking up television signals.... They'll visit places where people are living, but do not have a registered TV license. Since a HUGE majority of residences have televisions - it does not take long to find out this way. Then they scan the places without TV licenses to see if they're recieving television broadcasts...

It's got nothing to do with seeing or finding televisions or recievers themselves.

True...i suppose (as theres only going to be 45mins of TV a week that i HAVE to watch) I could always download shows the day after (I'm pretty sure BBC are letting people download certain shows up to a week after they air - legally, from their own website).

They don't see your actual hardware/devices, they just have scanners that can detect receivers picking up television signals.... They'll visit places where people are living, but do not have a registered TV license. Since a HUGE majority of residences have televisions - it does not take long to find out this way. Then they scan the places without TV licenses to see if they're recieving television broadcasts...

It's got nothing to do with seeing or finding televisions or recievers themselves.

But it's usefull to play consoles games on your pc monitor. And even record your gaming, if you find it fun. And no one would detect it, because it's just not receiving any TV signal.

Interested in this, anyone that has a laptop and/or an external TV tuner that knows if consoles don't lag on your screen?

Unfortunately, that's a big problem with TV receivers on PC.

I think that with this piece of opensource software (DScaler, see below) you can get absolute no-lag and great image quality, and even progressive scan (depending on the console and your receiver).

I have a Pinnacle PCTV 100e and it lags a lot in the bundled software, but should work great on DScaler. Problem is that DScaler doesn't seem to like most USB receivers and i get very poor image quality on DScaler when playing gamecube on it.

Head to DScaler's official website to inform yourself well before buying any piece of hardware that may not be suitable for videogaming. Try the forums specially.

DScaler's website

Interested in this, anyone that has a laptop and/or an external TV tuner that knows if consoles don't lag on your screen?

Mine seems to lag very slightly. It's playable, but not as much fun. Plus, interlacing is much more obvious on a computer monitor.