NEurope
AFB

IGN... Hmmm...

Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is out and Sony announced a release date for PlayStation 3 months ago. So the big question is, when will Wii launch? The only official answer from Nintendo is sometime before the Thanksgiving holiday in America. But sources -- both on the hardware and development side -- argue that the console will be hitting much sooner.

A number of big-name publishers are set to release their Wii games in mid-to-late October, which suggests that a system debut could not be that far off. And several insiders have told IGN that Tuesday, November 2 could, in fact, be the big day.

Thing is, not all of our contacts are in agreement on the date. Some have suggested that November 12 could, instead, by Wii's launch date. Regardless, though, it seems that Wii fans can look forward to their console sooner rather than later.

Sources suggest that Wii will launch with a $229 price tag and will be available in both black and white.

Insiders claim to have seen final hardware. The Broadway CPU is allegedly in the 750 CL line, a continuation of the 750 GX series. IBM may be working on a revised Broadway chip with a lower clock speed for a future Nintendo handheld -- presumably one that plays GameCube discs.

Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to 5.5 million units by the end of the year, a significant upgrade to previous numbers. The jump is purportedly based on the positive reaction to Wii from press and industry analysts at E3 2006.

The console is unlikely to be region-free, although the lock is unrelated to hardware; a firmware update could theoretically allow gamers to play import software.

We presented this information to Nintendo of America for response, but a spokesperson for the company said that it does not comment on rumors and speculation.

It´s now gone, this is there instead...

At the request of our sources, who do not wish to go to jail this week, we have temporarily removed the Wii rumors piece that was posted earlier. We apologize to our readers for the misstep and will work to post the news at a future date.

check it : http://wii.ign.com/articles/723/723894p1.html

Giant who cares. There I said it. Feel free to light me on fire and whack me with sticks.

We just gotta wait until the 23rd it seems. I like the part about Black and White being there at launch though :D

Hmmm... The article is back up... but an interesting part is missing...

"Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is out and Sony announced a release date for PlayStation 3 months ago. So the big question is, when will Wii launch? The only official answer from Nintendo is sometime before the Thanksgiving holiday in America. But sources -- both on the hardware and development side -- argue that the console will be hitting much sooner.

A number of big-name publishers are set to release their Wii games in mid-to-late October, which suggests that a system debut could not be that far off. And several insiders have told IGN that November 2 could, in fact, be the big day.

Thing is, not all of our contacts are in agreement on the date. Some have suggested that November 12 could, instead, by Wii's launch date. Regardless, though, it seems that Wii fans can look forward to their console sooner rather than later.

Sources suggest that Wii will launch with a $229 price tag and will be available in both black and white.

Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to more than five million units by the end of the year, a significant upgrade to previous numbers. The jump is purportedly based on the positive reaction to Wii from press and industry analysts at E3 2006.

The console is unlikely to be region-free, although the lock is unrelated to hardware; a firmware update could theoretically allow gamers to play import software.

We presented this information to Nintendo of America for response, but a spokesperson for the company said that it does not comment on rumors and speculation."

Notice how the part about lower spec version for a future handheld... is missing?

Hmmm... The article is back up... but an interesting part is missing...

"Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is out and Sony announced a release date for PlayStation 3 months ago. So the big question is, when will Wii launch? The only official answer from Nintendo is sometime before the Thanksgiving holiday in America. But sources -- both on the hardware and development side -- argue that the console will be hitting much sooner.

A number of big-name publishers are set to release their Wii games in mid-to-late October, which suggests that a system debut could not be that far off. And several insiders have told IGN that November 2 could, in fact, be the big day.

Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to more than five million units by the end of the year, a significant upgrade to previous numbers. The jump is purportedly based on the positive reaction to Wii from press and industry analysts at E3 2006.

We presented this information to Nintendo of America for response, but a spokesperson for the company said that it does not comment on rumors and speculation."

Notice how the part about lower spec version for a future handheld... is missing?

Wow that was weird...

Well my dad works for IBM so i'll ask him when he comes home from work tomorrow night. Interesting rumours none-the-less.

This is by far the most CRAZY news post i ever did...

Why did IGN remove it so quickly with the message of sources not wanting to go to jail today, and then put it back up with this paragraph missing?

Did they find something out that Nintendo don´t want us to know until Leipzig?

Only time will tell...

Next Gen gameboy to run GC discs... that would nuts.

Something seriously big is/has been going on. I can't recall IGN having to retract any articles and then leaving out certain bits of information. Especially something that was posted as a rumour.

Something seriously big is/has been going on. I can't recall IGN having to retract any articles and then leaving out certain bits of information. Especially something that was posted as a rumour.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There is something big and interesting coming our way

Exactly what I was thinking.

There is something big and interesting coming our way

I'm not one to stir or anything, but Me and Jordan were both really, seriously confused about whether to post this news on the mainsite or not. In the end we opted for it. But after seeing IGN take it down, i didn't know what to think. IGN must have really, really good sources.

Did someone break their NDA and Matt swiftly removed it?

I'm not one to stir or anything, but Me and Jordan were both really, seriously confused about whether to post this news on the mainsite or not. In the end we opted for it. But after seeing IGN take it down, i didn't know what to think. IGN must have really, really good sources.

Yeah I understand you guys, this seems a bit weird...

I wasn´t sure either about putting it here... But after it went down I decided to put it on the forums, since there has to be something to it if Matt removes it.

Now he puts it back in and has removed a paragraph. That must have been the reason for removing the article. Are Nintendo gonna show the new Game Boy at Leipzig?

personally i seriously doubt a new gameboy will materialise. two reasons, it'll impair the ds, and it also goes against everything nintendo seem to stand for these days with the ds and wii.

but that paragraph seems to be hiding something else...

This is very weird indeed. A handheld that plays gcn discs? I find that very hard to believe, even if it is from IGN. I wonder what made them take it off.

This is very weird indeed. A handheld that plays gcn discs? I find that very hard to believe, even if it is from IGN. I wonder what made them take it off.

The bit about IBM and their chips. They got a rollocking off IBM for that.

I wonder if they'd make GC games compatible, and if they'd add some Wi-Fi that was so seamless that old GC games became Wi-Fi enabled. If not then a lot of the GameCube's draw would be gone for me since I use it mostly multiplayer. Of course, if they could do that on a handheld they could do it on a home console.

I doubt it would happen, though. At least the load times wouldn't be bad, since I only remember a load screen on one game (Strikers) that I own.

The DS is too much of a success for nintendo to release another portable system now.

There must be a huge mess of "ZOMG M3GAT0N!!11" at the IGN boards right now. That's the ways it has always been.

Maybe IGN just made it up for lack of news, took some of it down to make it believeable, then put it back up?

I saw wait until the games convention at that place I can't spell.

A GBA which could play GC disk's would be so good. :D

A gameboy playing gamecube discs? How would they fit all the buttons and sticks and such? And they took it off the site, so maybe it has more credibility then a normal rumor... but still... Metroid Prime unhooked from the T.V. > 7eh r0ckz0r5

I'd buy it! Also, if the bit about the handheld discs is true, doesn't that add credibility to the rest of it? Me thinks the price is good.

portable-gamecube.jpg

ZOMG there's the first pics of it! :heh:

Post that on the gamefaqs/gamespot forums, and before you know, the entire forum will go crazy with the "ZOMG!"! M3EGATON!11" thing.

OK, here are all the differences between the two items:

1. "And several insiders have told IGN that Tuesday, November 2 could, in fact, be the big day."

The word 'Tuesday' is now missing. OMG! :wink:

2. "Insiders claim to have seen final hardware. The Broadway CPU is allegedly in the 750 CL line, a continuation of the 750 GX series. IBM may be working on a revised Broadway chip with a lower clock speed for a future Nintendo handheld -- presumably one that plays GameCube discs."

All of this has been chopped.

3. "Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to 5.5 million units".

This now reads "bumped production of Wii hardware to more than five million units"

I doubt they'd make a handheld that plays GC discs. IMO, they've got rid of that paragraph because of the inferrence of a partnership between Nintendo and IBM for a new handheld. Nintendo simply don't want that information to be public yet.