NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Your Top 3 Books

"Of Mice and Men

Gripping is all I can say about it. I studied it this year for GCSE and one guy in my class cried at the end (OK so he was a wimp but still). Just brilliant and with so many layers that you'll notice more and more details the more myou read through it."

I was reading it on the train again this year and had to stop on account of starting to get choked up. Everything in that book is so raw and powerful it's amazing.

OK: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson and My Uncle Oswald, by Roald Dahl.

My Top 3 Adult Books, at least. When I was younger I read a lot of Malorie Blackman and Roald Dahl, especially The Twits and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (which I typed out on an old typewriter when I was seven, for kicks). There was also a book called Fallout, which I used to rent from the library every week, much to the frustration of the librarian, who often asked why I didn't buy myself a copy, to which I often replied that it was free, here, at the library.

That said, I read much more non-fiction than I did fiction, books about dinosaurs and freak weather and the Ancient Egyptians, probably because they were nearer the toilet.

Hmm I think I stressed my head too much trying to figure out if I have read 3 books.

But here:

1. The Unknown soldier (Väinö Linna) It's about Finnish continuation war. Which took place at the same time as WW2. The author served as a machinegunner and some of his experiences are in the book.

2. The hitchikers guide to the galaxy (Douglas Adams) The author's books always makes me laugh.

3. Brothers Grimm (book of fairy-tales) I grew up reading these stories. Somehow I don't think that limbs falling off and such would make a good kid's book nowadays.

Right right. These are my favourite 3 at the moment, with snippets gleefully stolen from Amazon. I'm sure most people will overlook this, but oh well.

3.) The Social Contract Theory - Jean-Jacques Rosseau.

Rousseau made the following statement: "Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains. One thinks himself the master of others, and still remains a greater slave than they."

Censored in its own time, the Social Contract (1762) remains a key source of democratic belief and is one of the classics of political theory. It argues concisely but eloquently, that the basis of any legitimate society must be the agreement of its members. As humans we were `born free' and our subjection to government must be freely accepted.

It's controversial, and I don't agree with everything he has to say, but it's a nice thought provoking read.

2.)The Plague - Albert Camus.

The Plague is about love, exile, and suffering as illuminated by living around death.

What is the meaning of life? For many, that question is an abstraction except in the context of being aware of losing some of the joys of life, or life itself. In The Plague, Camus creates a timeless tale of humans caught in the jaws of implacable death, in this case a huge outbreak of bubonic plague in Oran, Algeria on the north African coast. With the possibility of dying so close, each character comes to see his or her life differently. In a sense, we each get a glimpse of what we, too, may think about life in the last hours and days before our own deaths. The Plague will leave you with a sense of death as real rather than as an abstraction. Then by reflecting in the mirror of that death, you can see life more clearly.

For example, what role would you take if bubonic plague were to be unleashed in your community? Would you flee? Would you help relieve the suffering? Would you become a profiteer? Would you help maintain order? Would you withdraw or seek out others? These are all important questions for helping you understand yourself that this powerful novel will raise for you.

1.)The Immoralist - Andre Gide.

The Immoralist is straightforward in language and easy to read, but more complicated, more complex are its themes: Man's sense of morality towards society, family, himself. What happens when man's values conflict with those of society's? Whose interests should be served? Gide explores these themes through one man's odyssey of self-discovery. The protagonist is the learned and conflicted Michel who yearns for something more than the stable, predictable, familiar life he has always known, but no longer finds tolerable. It is after a life-threatening bout of tuberculosis that these feelings rise to the surface, intensify, and are more keenly felt.

This hunger, still unidentified, takes him on a journey, both literal and figurative, where his search for self-awareness, or self-truth, carries him to distant and exotic locales. New experiences and mysterious encounters give way to a new aestheticism in which weakness, constraint, and life's banalities play no role. Heightened senses, unsuppressed impulses erode age-old human values that were once accepted blindly.

A life less checked, though, can have consequences, as is the case for Michel, and for so many others like him. As Michel becomes stronger, his wife becomes weaker. Indeed, society becomes weaker. How can the newly strong fail to quash the weak in their path? The question one must ask, then, and Gide does, is whether a life without restraint has value. Is there something admirable in the old adage, "To thine own self be true"?

One of the novel's most inspired moments is found in its ending. Without giving anything away, it is the last passage, after the reader has come full-circle, where Michel's journey seemingly ends. Will Michel embrace his new truth? The reader is left to wonder. The Immoralist is told in narrative, in Michel's own voice. It is self-confessional literature at its highest, and should be read by anyone who reads to think and be moved.

the best books i've ever read are from "Caballo de troya" series . There are 7 in total.

The story is about two american soldiers who travel in time to JesusChrist Era. is so fucking exciting! And everything is explained in such a real way that sometimes i feel like is real.

I've been trying to find those books here, but i can't find them :(

in no particular order

The Crucible about the Salem Witch hunts

Geralds Game scariest piece of literature ever

and this one here

2810646688qb0.jpg

3. The Godfather- I haven't actually finished reading this yet, so I'm not sure if I can put it in, but so far I'm totally compelled. Hell, it's even better than the movie. At least it's so much more detailed.

Funnily enough ive just finished reading the Godfather and I was utterly gripped I finished it in about 4 days. Probably my favourite book at the moment. Gonna re watch the film at some point over the weekend because I think it will make the film even more uber

1) Northern lights

Even though the beginning was extremely boring and I wanted to stop reading it but the ending made it worth reading for me.

2) Harry Potter: Goblet of fire

3) Harry Potter: Philosopher's stone

2.) The Alchemist

If that's the one by Paulo Coelho, then yes, it's a great book. I think I'm gonna read it again soon, except now not in French (had to read it for my French class).

The Crucible about the Salem Witch hunts
If that's the one by Arthur Miller, isn't that a play?

1) High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

2/3) One Hit Wonder - Lisa Jewell

2/3) To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

They will probably change with the new books I read although it will be hard for any to knock High Fidelity out of number one, especially as it made me love reading.

I'm reading Catch 22 at the moment but haven't got far enough for it to take a place.

My top 3 are probably all Tom Clancy books. My favourite has to be:

Without Remorse (Basic plot), *minor spoilers*

Without Remorse is the first book time wise in the Ryan-verse series; a series of books focus on and around a character Jack Ryan. Though he only appears in this book in once short scene, his father does play a large part in the book. The main character however is John Kelly a former US S.E.A.L. who served in Vietnam, who after a tragic accident losses his wife. His life however changes one day when he meets a young lady, Pam. Pam has run away from her life of abuse from drug dealers. He learns to love again; only to find out the horrid past that Pam has went through. John Kelly decides that he must take revenge as the local police are almost turning a blind eye to the drug dealers. At the same time however a high risk operation to save troops from a POW camp in Vietnam is being planned, Kelly is faced with 2 dangerous missions.

Why I like it:

Tom Clancy (the author) covers the topics so well, and in no way does it ever become a James Bond style fantasy type book. Everything is extremely well researched so although the book is fiction it is made very believable. The book shows both sides to every person, and covers dark subjects such as cold-blooded murder, torture and even rape and is a hard hitting, at first it surprised me. The book is never a cliché' and is always following new directions. Trust me, once you start reading it you will become obsessed, and will not put the book down.

The other Ryan-verse Clancy books (that I have read) are all equally as great, with "the hunt for Red October" being another favourite of mine.

If that's the one by Arthur Miller, isn't that a play?

Yeah, it's really good. You should watch the film :)

his dark materials by phillip pullman

kafka on the shore by haruki murakami

to kill a mockingbird by harper lee

three books that have made my life better and given me entertainment at the same time :D

currently in the third part of 1984 by george orwell :D

Kafka on the Shore particularly changed the way i view life.

his dark materials by phillip pullman

kafka on the shore by haruki murakami

to kill a mockingbird by harper lee

three books that have made my life better and given me entertainment at the same time :D

currently in the third part of 1984 by george orwell :D

Kafka on the Shore particularly changed the way i view life.

Yes, I also like Murakami. If you haven't read Norwegian Wood, read it now. (also read Ghostwritten by David Mitchell... :heh:)

Yeah, it's really good. You should watch the film :)

I saw this peformed in Sheffield a while back. It was one of the most emotionally savage experiences of my entire life. utterly incredible play, equally brilliant performance and direction. I think it was that directors final production in Sheffield too....great guy :bouncy:

This is really hard...

I think my top 3 books will be the 3 books that left a lasting impression on me.

* 1984 by George Orwell

* The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series by Douglas Adams

* Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman

Trainspotting. read it 4 times laugh out loud its great

that's the first time I've heard trainspottibg described like that. I usually prefer phrases like 'brutal', 'harrowing' or perhaps 'fucking horrendous'

great book:yay:

Shattered by Dean Koontz: The first proper book I ever bought about 4 years ago. Read the whole thing on holiday. Great book.

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: Bit obvious but I really enjoyed it, even if it was a bit slow to start.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown: Very similar to Da Vinci Code, but still great.

Can't really be arsed to write anymore.

Yes, I like that series, but I thought that she never managed to make the final 2 books as good as the original.

1. Catcher in the Rye

2. To Kill a Mokingbird

3. Of Mice and Men

Really great choices here man.

The books that affected me most as a person are:

1. His Dark Materials and Catcher in The Rye (By Philip Pullman and JD Salinger respectively), I can't decide which, when a book like this comes along, wrestles with your beliefs and ideologies, and comes out on top, you know you have something special on your hands. These books brought on such stong emotions as I've never felt elsewhere. They are truly Magical. If you do not read these books sometime in your life, you will be truly incomplete.

2. One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest(Ken Kesey): An Absolutely perfect book, based on a man called McMurphy, who is inducted into a mental institute, when it is that he doesn't have any mental problems, he's just a complicated character. The book strongly challenges Americas conformist ideals and is above all, such an enjoyable read with a strong bunch of loveable, memorable characters. More than worth a read.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird(Harper Lee): I first read this in school, and it didn't have any effect on me at all, I didn't particularly enjoy it, well, I mean how can you when you read a paragraph and spent the next two lessons analysing the life out of it. I went back to it a few years later, haven forgotten about it completely, I found that I loved it, and it deals with small town relationships, racism in America and plenty other issues. It is based on the small family of a Lawyer (Attacus) who is one of the only remotely balanced and consciencious people in his town, and his two children.

Did you not think that Murphy might be insane during the book, Bard? I always considered that the main point of his character.

I read that last week... in 1 day. Although it wasn't terribly well written it had a good plot and it was very fast paced which I always like too. I didn't know she wrote more books in this series? I'm going to get them out of the library if they continue the theme of black people being the 'best' and white's being sub-standard. It's funny how hard it was for me to grasp that white people weren't the bees knees, so to speak.

I read that last week... in 1 day. Although it wasn't terribly well written it had a good plot and it was very fast paced which I always like too. I didn't know she wrote more books in this series? I'm going to get them out of the library if they continue the theme of black people being the 'best' and white's being sub-standard. It's funny how hard it was for me to grasp that white people weren't the bees knees, so to speak.

The other ones are called Knife Edge and Checkmate, and yes, they're similar (but a little more disturbing).

Sign in to follow this