NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Job Hunting Woes

I'm 14, gets £15 a week from my paper round, it does fine for me.

Cant just say you dont wanna be the paperboy, cause at this age, its all you can get.

I was a paper boy for a year and it was horrible. I had to get up early and ended up falling asleep staright when I got back from school, waking for dinner and doing homework after. Honestly I just couldn't hack it

Anyway right now I'm looking for a job but every shop I ask at just says no. Sometimes I swear they just take a look at me and decide they don't like me on the spot.

The general advice seems to be try again once everyones gone back to uni.

I have a job in a club. Bar jobs are good, obviously if you're over 18. Once you've been trained once you can pretty much get any bar job you want.]

Pay is generally shit in the UK though. Go for whetherspoons rather than spirit.

Sent out my CV to loads of different shops today. I even went into the Vue Cinema near where I live and they said they'll get back to me within a week. Also applied online to a couple of places as well.

I'm not expecting anything though....If I can be bothered to go, I'll be going into Central London tommorrow....its just too damn hot, especially as I'll be using the tube all day.

Supermarket jobs aren't that bad are they? Anyone know any jobs i could get - I'm only 14, 15 in a month. I'd take most things, only want a small saturday job or after school thing. I don't want a paper round though, don't even have a working bike =\

I've applied to 2 customer service jobs in Newport via Reed.co.uk.

However, i was unsure about applying for the third. It says:

"have you got 6months experience in customer service?" yes or no.

Does telesales count as customer service work? I think it does, but i'm unsure if i'll be leading the employees on a little bit.

I applied to loads of places.

So far I have got one reply but it is looking bright. I applied for my local Vue cinema and so far they have e-mailed me twice, the last saying that my CV has been passed down onto the manager. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I thought I'd update on my job hunt.

Yesterday I had a group screening for Asda, the job is for nights, which I'm cool with. Luckily the manager taking it was my Mum's boss. I made myself known, got involved, and come out feeling quite pleased with how I conducted myself.

Found out this morning, through my mum who spoke with her manager, that I was successful and I will called in for a one on one interview. Which is basically offering me a job, talking through terms and hours, putting me on the shop floor for a few minutes see how I act etc. So the future is looking very bright on my front.

i have an interview at gamestation on monday mroning-soo nervous but hey, i know enough about games for that past of the interview, its just the whole job skills thing i need to think abot before hand, any tips?

any tips?

Tell them you work well with customers, have a friendly receptive attitude, are always polite and helpful. Think of a question that you can ask when they say "do you have any questions for us?" - and not "lol how much will u pay me lol".

Tell them you work well with customers, have a friendly receptive attitude, are always polite and helpful. Think of a question that you can ask when they say "do you have any questions for us?" - and not "lol how much will u pay me lol".

QFT man, yeah when you're in that kind of Job role, you need to come across as an outgoing and friendly person. If they warm to you, theyll get the impression that customers will too. Get some questions prepared, even ones such as asking what the staff community is like in store shows that you have a genuine interest in the job other than the dosh.

I've been working at my old place for about 3 weeks now. Getting back into it.

I'm still looking for another job, just to tie me over.

Ramar and Takeo, good luck!

I've been working at my old place for about 3 weeks now. Getting back into it.

I'm still looking for another job, just to tie me over.

Ramar and Takeo, good luck!

thanks, and thanks to the other guys who gave advice . . . need to think of something decent to ask . . . good tip about that staff community thing.

right im off to rack my brains and read ONM . . . well its kinda like interview preperation lol

anybody elses tips still very very much appreciated :D

good luck to Ramar too!

Cheers TakeoMiyazaki and Fierce.

As for questions maybe something about holidays, or even over time, managers love it when you talk overtime. I know being prepared to work Saturdays can go down a dream too.

Regarding jobs; I quit my second one next Saturday and am looking forward to it. The job itself is fine (I was going to quit weeks ago but stayed because of its fineness and the need for money) but I can see the end, and I just can't wait.

But as soon as I finish that I will be clearing out and doing up my friend's basement. From one thing to another.

im currently working at christian sandasons (primetime agency in newport) in chepstow (near severn bridge) been there 2 weeks and worked 4 days so far and working tomorrow. 12h shifts = :( but pretty good money. next friday = 36 hours pay mmmm...money.

looking for something better thou as the job is crap but will do until i find something better

Just had my second interview at Asda. I went in having all these things to ask and say. And what days I wanted (Tuesday and Saturday). So I went and the manager was like I've only got two different vanacies. None suited what I wanted, one was Monday, Thursday and Friday. The other was the weekend and I think another day. If you've read this topic, you'd know this will be my first job, and I need the money. So I said I could do the first one 9pm-5am. The manager said great, and told me I could be in for an induction as soon as next week. Which is good in a sense because sooner I start sooner I get some money.

Then when I left, I started to think stuff through in my mind. Like my friends 21st birthday party on the 18th (a Friday), and what if the hours don't suit my university time table. And what I'd do if the hours don't suit would they be flexible. I expected him to mention holidays which he didn't but I noted in the first interview I have a holiday coming up.

I feel so stupid for not making these points at the time, but I seemed ok with it at the time. Though if I do feel that I can't do it I suppose I could always turn it down, as I haven't signed any paper work or anything. Though it will look bad on my mum who's been trying hard recently to get me a job there.

The woes of a job hunter.

Im sure once you get settled in a bit you'll be able to swap around on the rota.

I registered with a employemnet agency today, over 1hour of interviews and paper work everything from my weight/chest size/foot size, and hieght to past experince and qualifications. I had to sign tonns of paper work, and do tests and stuff, but they seem to think thery will find me work in the next few days.

I've asked about getting a job at the local sports centre/swimming pool now I'm a qualified life guard. I have to write a CV and don't have a clue what to put on it... They wont be able to take anyone on until after the summer though when people go back to uni (September 10th ish). It's really well paid up there so hopefully I can get a job...

http://charliedouglas.emurse.com is my CV so far.

You think you have it worse, guys?

24, haven't graduated from College.

Quit his job that he worked his heart out in one job...for 4 years.

A year has passed; Still no job. Went every stinkin' job in the area.

Three interviews during 2005, and first half of 2006.

Recently, I was in an interview, a short one at that; The manager said that he's got more than 5 people looking for the same job, said he'll probbably consider me, and see what I can do. So I try to reaffirm myself by telling him "I hope you consider me" he said "I am going to consider you."

I KNOW I won't get that job.

My final hope? Partnership with another company.

thats sounds even worse then my past year of work :o

payslip today with a lovely £200+ cheque inside w00pw00p

opening a savings account maybe tomorroz to start saving for the wii

Start my training at Asda tomorrow, excited about getting some experience under the belt and finally starting to work. But got the usual first day nerves.

Sign in to follow this