NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
spirited away

RPG Maker 2000/03/Xp

I recently found out about these programs from Goron when he metnioned his new Tales Of Symphonia game he's made using it. I donwloaded it and it's a pretty nifty piece of software, the best thing being you don't need any programming knowledge. Me and a few mates are gonna work on an rpg over Summer :)

Anyway, I though I'd make this thread so people can discuss their current projects or post links to them and can offer help to beginners like me:p

I had RPG2k3, I believe. Its was horrible to use, easy enough to piece something together. But the short 5 minute sequence of an rpg I made was too linear and I just couldn't set up the things I wanted to do.

This is probably the best game making programme I've ever come across. You can practically make anything you want (hence my Tales of Symphonia remake :P). Simply awesome!

This is probably the best game making programme I've ever come across. You can practically make anything you want (hence my Tales of Symphonia remake :P). Simply awesome!

Did you Download a Tales of Symphonia Tileset for your game?

Bwah, learn C++ and the DirectX API, that's the real shit.

Can you suggest somewhere to start. Consider I know nothing about programming. Thanks plenty.

And while you'te at it, learn some advanced maths and physics. So basically if you really want to be a progammer you have to take the courses on a uni level.

Can you suggest somewhere to start. Consider I know nothing about programming. Thanks plenty.

But to start with the basics buy a learning book for C++ there's usually a cd that includes a compiler. You should be making your first "hello world" program in no time. After you get the hang of c++ download the directx API from microsoft (I think it's free...) And start making simple games. Note that this kind of thing rquires lots of free time and devotion.

Assembly is the real shit. A month to make a freaking 2 digit calculator.:D

Btw, i started some projects in RPG maker back then, but i got bored 5 minutes after i started. But i'm a lazy person, so...

I am currently making a adaptation of the book "A Wonderful Wizard of Oz" into an RPG. Think about it, think about the plot, it suits an RPG format perfectly.

My other projects have been Shenmue 3, Continent (about dinosaurs really) and Pure Light: Fire and Water (a spoof of RPGs).

I also secretly want to make a Doctor Who game.

then you make it haha

Hey! It's states the obvious man here to save the day!

I also secretly want to make a Doctor Who game.

Do you know what secretly means?

I've toyed with it before, but like many of my projects, it never got finished.

But to start with the basics buy a learning book for C++ there's usually a cd that includes a compiler. You should be making your first "hello world" program in no time. After you get the hang of c++ download the directx API from microsoft (I think it's free...) And start making simple games. Note that this kind of thing rquires lots of free time and devotion.

Ta mate, i'll get on it.

Do you know what secretly means?

I've toyed with it before, but like many of my projects, it never got finished.

No, I've toyed with it before, but like many of my projects, it was a completely stupid idea. :smile:

I mean, really, it couldn't work. I guess I just wanted to make Doctor Who sprites I guess.

anyone got screenshots of there masterpeices or even a game off it we could take a look at..

cheers

hmm any one know of any tutorials?

You can download the tutorial for the program online like i did. You've clicked new project, right click below the tilest and add new map to start designing. Download the tutorial for the rest of the shizzle.

Goron you should post a link here to your game for people too download :)

Yeh i love RPG maker toyed around with it back in 2000 for a while and got about half way through an RPG, got a bit bored of it though due to the restrictions and the fact alot of things on it didn't work. This makes me wanna start up again though...

Have you googled? There must be a truckload of them. But RPG Maker is really simple and if you try a little harder you won't need a tutorial.

Sign in to follow this