N-Europe

His Dark Materials: The film

Fierce_LiNk

It's Iorek, or Iofur, depending on which bear you mean, those are the two main ones.

I thought the book was crap, didnt get past Chapter 1, made no sence.

Right, that has to be the most...actually I can't even begin to describe what I think of this comment, because I don't think there is a word to explain the mixture of annoyance and bafflement I felt. How can you judge the book on just the first chapter (which by the way was absolutely the most perfect intro to the book imaginable)? And the chapter made perfect sense, unless you are, of course, a simpleton or have the attention span of a goldfish. I'm sorry, I just can't grasp the idea that anyone can dislike the book, everyone I've ever talked to who has read it (or who I've made to read it) has loved it. I strongly think you should give it a second chance, because unless you're dead inside, I'm 110% sure you will find it appeals to you in a lot of ways.

A bear should be the bear. They need to teach it how to do metalwork and talk though. Maybe that's why the film has been in production for so long already?

I suppose that'll be CG (which may well look crap).

I remember thinking when I saw the titles of the books that "Northern Lights" didn't fit; all three books were centered around an artefact and only the first wasn't named after it. "The Golden Compass" is a complete copout though... perhaps "The Alethiometer", although that lacks a descriptive adjective (I feel that putting one in would water the title down, although providing uniformity).

But I digress... It's terrible that they've removed the religion bashing; although Pullman is too atheist for me the removal of this part of the plot effectively ruins the purpose of the books.

You guys have presumably read "Lyra's Oxford" and know about "the Book of Dust" which is coming out next year?

Nope, The book of dust isn't necessarily coming out next year, Pullman says it'll come out when he's good and ready to have it published. Lyra's Oxford was nice, it took me like an hour to read through, but I still have the maps plastered on my walls :) .

Nope, The book of dust isn't necessarily coming out next year, Pullman says it'll come out when he's good and ready to have it published. Lyra's Oxford was nice, it took me like an hour to read through, but I still have the maps plastered on my walls :) .

Yeah whenever it comes out...

I think "Lyra's Oxford" was quite good, but I don't remember it very well.

I thought the book was crap, didnt get past Chapter 1, made no sence.

You probably saved yourself some otherwise wasted time.

The trilogy did really well in the BBC's best 100 books poll a while back and it was the first I'd heard of it, so I thought I'd give it a go.

So I read Northern Lights but didn't enjoy it much. Suffice to say I am in complete bewilderment as to why it is rated so highly and I won't be reading the other two. :(