NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

His Dark Materials: The film

After viewing the auditions of 10,000 girls hoping for their chance in the limelight, the producers of the His Dark Materials trilogy have found their young star. 12-year-old Dakota Blue Richards, an aspiring actress with an unusual name, was discovered at the production's Cambridge auditions and will take the part of Lyra Belacqua, heroine of the three films.

The Golden Compass, the first of the trio of fantasy adventures, is being heralded by New Line Cinemas as its most ambitious film since The Lord of the Rings. The studio appears to be aiming straight at the enormous revenues being earned by Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia, two other high-profile fantasies aimed at children; no expense is being spared as New Line plans to spend some $150 million making it.

Source: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/715/715820p1.html

Excuse me...but i always thought that the first book was just called Northern Lights?

Not off to a good start, imo.

I didn't see this coming!

Golden Compass? It's just like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone all over again. American's didn't know what a philosopher was, now they don't know what the Northern Lights are either!

I didn't see this coming!

Golden Compass? It's just like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone all over again. American's didn't know what a philosopher was, now they don't know what the Northern Lights are either!

I hate to admit it, but that's the way it's looking.

If they 'dumb' down any other parts of the story, i will be really angry.

Better idea = read the book (again) rather than waste your time watching terrible acting. Having said that I will probably go see it anyway, because I'm a curious fellow (watched the Potter films, all of thm were crap, but I still went to watch them all).

I'll watch the film, but like the Harry Potter films I'll probably just end up being annoyed by the changes in storyline. I can understand when they cut things out for time or whatever, but why do they change the actual storyline sometimes? If a book's good enough to be made into a film then there should be no need to change the story.

Hopefully it'll stay true to the books though... I still haven't read the third one actually, might try and pick that up somewhere.

It's one of favourite books of all time, the movie's been in pre production for about 2 years now, they only just picked Dakota for lyra. Also, Philip Pullman wants Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter.

They are going to screw this movie up (New Line, not the director), because they're replacing the central anti-religion/ church themes with general totaliarism. HDM was primarily Philip Pullmans way of retelling Miltons Paradise Lost and from what I've seen and heard, the movie is going to be a complete bastardisation of the texts.

And do I hear you heathens comparing HDM to Harry Potter??!! Lunacy!

BTW, it's called the golden compass in the US due to a mistake on the publishers part, because initially Philip Pullman wanted to call the entire series "The Golden Compasses."

The best HDM site for this kind of stuff imo is:

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/

You guys caught on a bit late tho....

We were comparing the 2 as films because the potter films are crap and so will this. The books were some of the greatest ever written, a lot better than the Harry Potter books, but the film(s) will be absolute rubbish.

No, I don't believe that, the films are being directed by Chris Weitz, who also directed about a boy, which is one of my favourite films, I have faith in this, becuase this isn't being done as a quick cash in, it's not possible to since HDM doesn't have the fanbase of Potter. They're going to have to make quality films like LOTR (even though the LOTR books weren't great) because otherwise noone will watch them.

Edit: How does nobody know this: The Book was called The Golden Compass in the us because of a mistake made by the publisher.

The Golden Compass??? WTF????

I hate all these American names....why can't they use the same name all over the world instead of having a really cheesy and crappy name just for the US???

....I'm feeling very agitated right now.

Do film makers thin kthat the US is so stupid that they need a dumbed down name? This really is pointless, it was written as NORTHERN LIGHTS and Harry Potter was the PHILOSOPHER'S Stone. I'm pretty sure Americans know what those words mean.

You guys caught on a bit late tho....

There's been Northern Lights related threads in the past, but it's the first that i've heard about the book being called The Golden Compass in America.

There's been Northern Lights related threads in the past, but it's the first that i've heard about the book being called The Golden Compass in America.

Really? Do you know if they're still there? I might have a go at resurrecting them...

Really? Do you know if they're still there? I might have a go at resurrecting them...

I can't remember if they were both on this forum or the old C-E forums. I'm sure at least one of the two was on this board, and i'm pretty sure that i started both threads. :p

You may as well just carry on discussing it in this one, rather than bump up the old ones. Keep the discussion fresh. :)

I can't remember if they were both on this forum or the old C-E forums. I'm sure at least one of the two was on this board, and i'm pretty sure that i started both threads. :p

You may as well just carry on discussing it in this one, rather than bump up the old ones. Keep the discussion fresh. :)

Lol, k, you a big HDM fan?

Man I remember the first time I finished The Amber Spyglass, it was so depressing that I was like subdued for a month, I didn't talk much, and people were like...yo, whats up, you're not your usual loud, outspoken self? When a book has an effect on you as a person, then you know that it's something special, there's really only two books that have changed my outlook on life: Catcher in the Rye and HDM.

Also: I cannae wait for the film, I'm gonna have to see it at least like 5-6 times...

I've only actually read Northern Lights. I have yet to read the Subtle Knife or the Amber Spyglass. I have the books, but i'm planning to read them when i have time. Can't wait to start reading them. :)

as long as the plot isnt dumbed down and as long as the church is still shown in an unfavourable light and they dont tip toe around the original material it should be worth my 3.25 GBP to see it :D

I like Pullman. he's a very good storyteller, great imagination and he strikes me as a very smart, interesting kind of guy. Hopefully his material (excuse the pun) is in good hands

also: brian blessed should be the bear. fact.

A bear should be the bear. They need to teach it how to do metalwork and talk though. Maybe that's why the film has been in production for so long already?

I thought the book was crap, didnt get past Chapter 1, made no sence.

Well that's not really saying the book was crap, that's saying you thought the first chapter was crap.

Crap's a matter of opinion really.

My opinion is that those books were utterly fantastic. They were the first real novels I read. I too hope they don't ruin it.

And what was that bear's name? I can never remember..

hmm, ok, the first chapter sucked. Then i got rid of the book..

Crap's a matter of opinion really.

My opinion is that those books were utterly fantastic. They were the first real novels I read. I too hope they don't ruin it.

And what was that bear's name? I can never remember..

I think its like an Icelanding sounding thing....bah. I cant remember.

Sign in to follow this