NEurope
Demuwan

The mystery of the Wii flap revealed!

It's not really a new thing, I mean, who the hell didn't know this back when the Wii (or Revolution back then) was shown and was annoucned to use SD Memory. It's fucking retarded that people couldn't realise this. Nintendo had to be asked what was in there, and even how Reggie answers it is a giveaway that it's unimportant

You don’t think that in all the countless interviews with Reggie, Perrin Kaplan, Miyamoto and Iwata over the past month or so and all the hands on previews and questions from all the worlds gaming press across the 3 days at E3 earlier last month , that not one person asked what was under the flap? The question came up quite a few times and whoever was being asked was always deliberately coy about it.

Like its already been said, most people knew it was just going to be the SD memory cards but the speculation started when it was hinted that there could be more then just memory card slots under it.

It’s the fact Nintendo felt the need to be so secretive about something so trivial.

I think having one USB on the back and another behind the flap would be wiser than putting the 2 on the back.

I think having one USB on the back and another behind the flap would be wiser than putting the 2 on the back.

Why?

*character limit*

Point of that?

I suppose it would be for any attatchments like a camera the unit would be positioned at the front of the console instead of a mess of wire to get it in a suitable place, but then why would you want any at the back...

I suppose it would be for any attatchments like a camera the unit would be positioned at the front of the console instead of a mess of wire to get it in a suitable place, but then why would you want any at the back...

It looks better to have a small wire than somthing jetting out the front of the console... at least imo. It would be cool if it had compact a flash since I already have a 1GB CF card :D

OK, for those saying it would be nice to have other card formats, it's not going to happen. Panasonic helped create the SD card format and Nintendo have a good relationship with them, hence the Panasonic Q variant of the Gamecube; Nintendo also used SD cards in the, little used, memory card alternative that was developed. Quite simply, you're not going to see an alternative to the SD card in a hurry; what you are likely to see, however, are USB storage devices which can be happily plugged into the back of the Wii, whether that be simple memory sticks or fullblown hard-drives.

As to the flap itself, there have been comments along the lines of "that's where the big secret is", when Nintendo reps have been asked about it. Personally, I don't think they meant in the terms of some new tech, hitherto unconsidered by anyone, I'm presuming it's more to do with storing/back-up of Virtual Console games.

SD cards are good, especially as my camera takes them, so I'll always have some lying around!! And when I get my next TV it'll be Panasonic and they have SD slots in the front of them as well!!! :)

He got it. And just imagine you want to connect one of those USB pens (i think someone from nintendo said that it would be compatible with external USB storage devices). It's more practical to plug the pen on the flap slot, save whatever you want to save, then unplug it, close the flap and there you go. And the back USB would be for some kind of stuff that's suposed to be permanently connected, so it's hidden behind the console. Like we got in most PC's nowadays, we got back USB slots, where we connect our printers, mouses, etc. And front USB slots, where we usually connect a pen or an mp3 player.

A a USB on the front would be ace.

I just hope Wii is compatable with any USB storage device (so i can transfer stuff using my iPod)

If you use a USB memory pen for Generaly Saving then i think it should say at the back, only for in and out should they put at the front.

We had those old shitty pcs in my It class, and they only had USB ports on the back of the tower. It was a chore reaching around the back, and plugging it in, but i knew it was there, now thinkging if that was a Wii then id rather have one at the back, im not likely t put my Wii aaint a wall, so i say keep them both at the back. Leave the front nice and clean, IMO

Leave the front nice and clean, IMO

It would still be clean because you could close the flap if you'r only using the usb port temporarily. Otherwise just plug it on the back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They're going to offer HDD storage. How else is Virtual Console and WiiConnect24 going to last a console lifecyle if you've got 512MB storage tops?

Does anyone know what the dealio is with all the "Sync Button" rumourings going round?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=3302

I would bet it's the button to sincronize the controler to that console, much like how you have to do for the Xbox 360.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They're going to offer HDD storage. How else is Virtual Console and WiiConnect24 going to last a console lifecyle if you've got 512MB storage tops?

What about the SD cards dude? They offer a huge expansion and they will get bigger and cheaper in price in the next few months/years. I love how technology evolves exponentialy.

I just looked on newegg.com and saw they have 4GB SD cards for $84 USD O_O

Woot woot! :D

What about the SD cards dude? They offer a huge expansion and they will get bigger and cheaper in price in the next few months/years. I love how technology evolves exponentialy.

Yeah, that's a fair point. But even so I think a HDD drive would be preferable as it would give Nintendo a minimum standard storage figure (and reliable access speeds, not all SD cards are equal in that respect) to aim at.

Well, suposing nintendo is speaking the truth we'll get the best of both worlds.:grin:

Internal memory, SD cards support and USB mass storage devices support (that includes USB HDD).

I think its a massive gaping vagina to get rid of nintendos kiddy image.

"It doesn't attract children, it produces them."

I reckon its a coin slot. Stick in a 50 cent piece and out pops a coke. And I reckon we'll see a Coke branded Wii too.

It's been confirmed a long time that you can plug any storage media in with the USB, so yes you can use a HDD.

And yes, the Wii is actually a death star made only to destroy PS3 that are within a 50 km radius.

Believe.

It's been confirmed a long time that you can plug any storage media in with the USB, so yes you can use a HDD.

And yes, the Wii is actually a death star made only to destroy PS3 that are within a 50 km radius.

Believe.

nwanttobelieve6ej0ec.jpg

I reckon its a coin slot. Stick in a 50 cent piece and out pops a coke. And I reckon we'll see a Coke branded Wii too.

=O i want my wii to become a mini fridge!

Of course, it will only fit those 'fun' sized cans, they'd only be fun if they were 6ft tall and a meter wide...when will coke learn?