N-Europe

Football Season 2006/2007

Stocka

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he was refering to the fact that Hargreaves is injured. Or at least I hope he was, because Hargreaves is excellent.

His injured or didn't know that, I still would of had carrick in the midfield instead of lampard so as to give the team balance.

I believe he was refering to the fact that Hargreaves is injured. Or at least I hope he was, because Hargreaves is excellent.

He's a good player for sure, and better than Lampard, but the fact that he was injured is irrelevant. He is not 'England's best player', not by a long way.

England are shite these days. They had their chance for glory in 2002/2004/2006. Those days are sadly long gone and it'll be many, many years before they even come close to winning a major tounament now. Call me a cynical bastard if you want, but I bet I turn out to be right.

England are past it, this so called golden generation has been and gone. 2002 World Cup was the best chance we will ever get and we blew it. Our defence is nowhere near as solid as it was when Sol Campbell was in his prime, Terry is a rock, but we still seem to concede sloppy goals too often, or give away chances that never should be given. As individuals our defence is world class, but I'm not convinced as a unit. Robinson doesn't fill me with confidence at all, never has done, he's been lucky this season that games where he hasn't played well spurs have scored shed loads! For me David James is still the best English keeper, he is the most natural shot stopper we have, ok granted he isn't too great on crosses and sometimes his distribution isn't up to scratch (although I think he has greatly improved this season). I think even Ben Foster is a better bet for the Number 1 shirt than Robinson.

I don't get how Lampard is still getting picked for England week in week out, granted he is good for Chelsea but thats because of the system Chelsea play he gets more of the ball in the positions he likes. We are not going to chance our whole system just to revolve around him it wouldn't be the right thing. I think we are much suited to having the holding midfielder and allowing Gerrard to bomb forward. Much like we used to have Paul Ince as a midfielder enforcer and Gazza and then Scholes as the free man to attack. Another thing is a think Frank needs a break, he has hardly had a rest for a few years now.

England are shite these days. They had their chance for glory in 2002/2004/2006. Those days are sadly long gone and it'll be many, many years before they even come close to winning a major tounament now. Call me a cynical bastard if you want, but I bet I turn out to be right.

Lets be honest the squad probably wasn't that strong then either.

We just have to accept we are not a quality football nation now. The onslaught of foreign players and the lack of players making it big abroad, is really taking its tole, means the chances for english players is getting smaller and smaller and all the time. I think we will have a problem finding keepers in years to come as more and more clubs go foreign..

giggsy almost scored a stunner like he did against arsenal in the cup all them years ago... took on like 6 players, shame he cudnt finish it :( wales will be even crapper now he has retired

We're crap, yes, but at least we play with pride, and the fans try to give us encouragement rather than slate us at every given opportunity.

john toshack is crap, tactically he is the football equivalent of cathedral city

I don't particularly have an opinion on him, he's a mixed bag, I think.

We need Mark Hughes back. He was the type of manager who could unlock a player's potential and Wales looked like they were going places with him. We've taken a step back, I feel.

Well he had the chance, just didn't take it. He was eligible for England wasn't he?

Aye, Michael Owen was eligible for Wales as well.

John Aldridge was eligible for England, but opted for R.O.I

The games full of it's and buts, but I'd rather be a legend at one countries team, then a pawn in one ridden with controversy, failure and alter-ego syndrome.

I don't particularly have an opinion on him, he's a mixed bag, I think.

We need Mark Hughes back. He was the type of manager who could unlock a player's potential and Wales looked like they were going places with him. We've taken a step back, I feel.

You haven't taken a step back, your squad is just not good enough to compete anymore

You haven't taken a step back, your squad is just not good enough to compete anymore

I've highlighted anymore. You mean to say that, at one point, we were able to compete. I agree with you, especially under Mark Hughes.

So, at one point we could compete, but now we can't. So, would you then agree that we've taken a step back?

I've highlighted anymore. You mean to say that, at one point, we were able to compete. I agree with you, especially under Mark Hughes.

So, at one point we could compete, but now we can't. So, would you then agree that we've taken a step back?

Just sort of in reply to both of these and about Flinky saying about Mark Hughes, I have to agree with that. Ant-Shimmin saying they are not good enough to compete isn't right, You've only got to look at Northern Ireland for an example of team who has made a step up and is competing, they have a squad that has League One players in it, surely Premiership players must be good enough to compete if they are? arguably the way they have been playing they would be top of our group if they were in it and likewise England would be struggling in their group with the likes of Spain...We have taken a step back it's not that we can't compete, we could compete and I think it comes down the man management.

It is more a case of us taking a step back from a team mentioned as possible winners of tournaments to a team who will be lucky if they qualify for the next major tourney.

At the moment I think we have quite a few players who are good players just not performing on the international stage, this is for a mixture of reasons, some players for example Lampard have not played well for a long time yet still walk into the team everytime, this isn't right, it wouldn't happen in other countries, look at Brazil dropped Ronaldo (their record World Cup scorer) as he simply was not performing for either Real or Brazil, even now he has had a bit of renaissance at AC Milan he still isn't in the team and he is likely to miss out on the Copa America squad, if the same happened with an England player who was in this almost invinicible starting evelven he would get picked.

I'll return to Real Madrid for my ideal England manger Fabio Capello, he has sorted out the Galactico's at Madrid, it has taken time and it did look at one point as if he was going to be sacked but he has done it, I think he would go in to the England Dressing Room and give some of the over paid charlies a real scare and get them playing again. Get rid of poor performers and get rid of any ego's there may be in the team. I think he is a great manager.

I wish there was an English manager I could see doing the same but at the moment I do not think there is.

Big Phil is a shitty manager. The only good thing about him is that he gets the player's respect.

He's managed the team that has knocked England out of the last 3 international competitions, therefore he would have been a step up.

He's managed the team that has knocked England out of the last 3 international competitions, therefore he would have been a step up.

I would put the last 2 of those victories on Ricardo.

He really isn't all that, he just needs someone to tell him what players to call, and given that your country has good enough players, he might get some results. But his options decisions during a match are disastrous. (I am exaggerating a bit, because of the game today).

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!