Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2006/2007

Stocka

why? you hate the football? the tactics? or the players?

we must all unite to defeat chelsea at all costs.

dont hate, appreciate!

Everything about them. I don't support chelsea, but I like to see them win over man united... which is why this season sucks :p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we must all unite to defeat chelsea at all costs.

Truth.

Chelsea are ruining English football, other clubs are having to sell out to rich business tycoons just to be able to afford some form of competition.

How many clubs have sold since Chelsea was bought by that Russian gimp. I can think of Man Utd, Portsmouth, West Ham, Aston Villa and Liverpool (soon enough), if I'm not mistaken.

How are they ruining it? By winning?

Firstly, as a club they are not running financially on their own, they lose more money than they gain. Therefore they are totally dependant on their rich chairman. He has a shite load of money, so they don't have to worry about transfers, player wages, or any income or expenditure.

Chelsea can do what they want (within the law and rules of the game) because they have all the money. Transfer prices sky rocket because Chelsea can offer anything for a player, wages go up because players can get more at Chelsea, so clubs have to beat the offer to even appeal to them.

Clubs then feel the pressure and have to try and get money themselves, and so sell out, losing heritage of chairman who care about the club, to dirty business men who only see the money in football.

Thus turning football into something about money like every damned American sport. Football use to be more than that, loyalty and tradition. Thankfully something Arsenal retain.

Thus turning football into something about money like every damned American sport. Football use to be more than that, loyalty and tradition. Thankfully something Arsenal retain.

I can't think of one English player on Arsenal's team.

To be honest, football's in a bit of a mess.

Can you blame so many people for wanting United to win the Premiership? Personally, I think they don't want to see Chelsea win it again.

Lets face it, Arsenal and Liverpool are out of the title race. Were they even in it to start with? Some might argue no. For a while, imo, it's looked like United have been the only team to challenge Chelsea. In Fergie, we've got a strong minded manager. Wenger and Benitez may get tactics and stuff right on the day, but when it comes to the war of words, or the battle of wits, they both crumble.

It's also a sorry state to see English players being so goddamn expensive. 30 million for Rio Ferdinand, similar number for Rooney, 18 for Carrick.

Ask yourself this: would any of these players have progressed in their careers had they stayed at their former clubs.

Answer: no. These people need champions league football. They need to be in high profile games, playing alongside other high profile players. Why have players like Gareth Barry been overlooked for so long on the England front, because they don't feature enough in high profile games.

My 2 cents.

They've done the same as man united did for the latter part of the nineties.

Oh please, really, you fill me with rage.

Man Utd of the 90s were the examplar English football team. Half the squad at that time had come via the youth academy, and the other 1/4 were bleeding UK/Irish. They won leagues and titles through skill and fucking hard work, the money they got was due to this sucess...

As for football now, its fucked. I eargerly anticipate the collapse of football's money. I ca;t wait until the English Premier League is full of Brits/Irish - or anyone who plays footballf or the the love, and not for the highest bidder. It will eb a great and passionate league :)

Oh please, really, you fill me with rage.

Man Utd of the 90s were the examplar English football team. Half the squad at that time had come via the youth academy, and the other 1/4 were bleeding UK/Irish. They won leagues and titles through skill and fucking hard work, the money they got was due to this sucess...

That was the in the early part of the nineties. I'm talking about once they got the money. The beckham/giggs/scholes youth team was good, yes, but look at the team they had after that... and today.

That was the in the early part of the nineties. I'm talking about once they got the money. The beckham/giggs/scholes youth team was good, yes, but look at the team they had after that... and today.

True, they later bought high earning stars like Veron, and they now have other world class players which come with a hefty price tag. Although, it should be noted that the most expensives ones are from our England.

Personally, I've always felt that the team has a foundation built around its English or British team players. Like you talked about Giggs, Scholes and Beckham, they are still very much integral to them team and its success as they were back then. (excluding beckham, after he left of course).

Think about the United team's foundation. The Captain: Gary Neville. The midfield: Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes. Also, the likes of Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher (scottish), John O'shea (irish). Of course, upfront, there is the powerhouse that is Wayne Rooney.

They may have got money and bought in more expensive players from our own country or from other parts of the world, but they have never screwed about with the foundations of football. During the 90's (late and early) and up til today, Manchester United have always been centered around a British team.

united became the greatest team and biggest club in the world during the 90s and that was due to their homeland players. there was only 1-2 forign players in the team.

even now, we still have more british player than any of the top 5 teams.

2002-2006 regular forigners: van nistelrooy, veron, barthes, blanc, silvestre.

1996-2000 regular forigners: poborsky, schmichels, stam, york, berg

1990-1996 regular forigners: kinchelskis, schmichels.

if you look at the united dream team of the 90s

schmichels, g.neville, stam, pallister/bruce, irwin, giggs, scholes, keane, beckham, nistelrooy, cantona.

only 4 forigners. very few compared the a club like utd.

Edit: FL beat me to it

And it's the same with chelsea today.

In one sense, you are completely right. Their team is centered around an English foundation two, with Frank Lampard in the midfield, and John Terry as Captain and the heart of the defence.

But, in another sense, it's a completely different story.

Chelsea have a somewhat large squad. Endless streams of cash mean that they can literally buy anybody. Nobody is out of bounds for this club. Just look at the strikers who have been there over the past few seasons: Shevchenko, Crespo, Mutu. These are not easy to come buy.

Whilst Chelsea have an English centre, they have also hampered English football. As I have said in previous posts, the likes of Scott Parker, Wayne Bridge, Joe Cole and Shawn Wright-Phillips were all brought to Chelsea in the hope that they could further progress their careers.

Of course, things didn't turn out this way. Chelsea have a much bigger wallet than Manchester United ever had, and they've brought in more players, too. As a result, these English players were nothing more than benchwarmers. In fact, the most successful player out of those 4 is Joe Cole, and he only broke into the squad last season. Wright-Phillips is getting there, and Wayne Bridge looked to be getting someplace, before Mourinho completely undermimed him and brought in Ashley Cole.

These players had the same hope as Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney had. To be able to play high profile football. When you're on the bench, what good are you to your team, or the national team for that matter? To be on top of your game, you NEED to be playing week in week out. In my honest opinion, Scott Parker, Shawn Wright-Phillips and Wayne Bridge have all taken a step back in their careers by moving to Chelsea. Parker is somewhat recovering, and is now at Newcastle. There is still hope for him, but he has paid the price.

So, thats my honest opinion. Yeah, they may have the stars, but signing for Chelsea does come with a price, and no guarantee that you will be a regular starter. Just ask these young English International hopefuls.

OMG, I come back from holiday and this thread is being overrun by Mancs!!!! NOOOO!

Lets get the Arsenal talk under way......We aint playin today but tomorrow we got charlton. Its at home so I think we will get the three points but I still can't believe how many of our players are injured. Its unbelievable. I really do hope Wenger buys some quality and experience this month ( I seriously doubt its gonna happen though).

I would love it if we got Buffon....Lehmann is getting old and he was at fault for the goal against Sheffield United. I like him but Buffon is a different class.

Wouldn't mind some cover at left back.....we've only got Clichy....

COME ON U GUNNERS!!!

Guest Stefkov

Bolton vs Liverpool are on now. I'm going to watch it in a minute.

I like watching other teams play. Some good goals are scored in other matches.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!