N-Europe

The 100 dollar laptop (pics)

Charlie

I think I read up about this a while back, I think it's meant for poorer countires, and the makers say there "will be a stigma if non student/teachers" own one.

I think it has wi-fi, so it connect to the internet easily, but I don't think it does much else.

Can it play half life 2?
No... but just for the techies... here's the specs: (subject to change)

Core electronics:

* CPU: AMD Geode [email protected]

* CPU clock speed: 400 Mhz

* Compatibility: X86/X87-compatible

* Chipset: AMD CS5536 South Bridge

* Graphics controller: Integrated with Geode CPU; unified memory architecture

* Embedded controller: Based on ENE 3920

* DRAM memory: 128MB dynamic RAM

* Data rate: Dual – DDR266 – 133 Mhz

* Mass storage: 512MB SLC NAND flash

* Drives: No rotating media

Display:

* Liquid-crystal display: 7.5†Dual-mode TFT display

* Viewing area: 151.6 mm × 113.4 mm

* Resolution: 1200 (H) × 900 (V) resolution (200 dpi)

* Mono display: High-resolution, reflective monochrome mode

* Color display: Standard-resolution, quincunx-sampled, transmissive color mode

* Special "DCON" chip, that enables deswizzling and anti-aliasing in color mode, while enabling the display to remain live with the processor suspended. Since we will always be running the frame buffer at 1200x900 resolution, the color resolution is lower, but exactly how this works out in effective resolution is complex.

Integrated peripherals:

* Keyboard: 80 keys, 1.2mm stroke; sealed rubber-membrane key-switch assembly

* Cursor-control keys: Dual five-key cursor-control pads; four directional keys plus Enter

* Touchpad: Capacitance-sensing touchpad; supports written-input mode

* Audio: Analog Devices AD1888, AC97-compatible audio codec; stereo, with dual internal speakers; monophonic, with internal microphone

* Wireless: Marvell 83W8388, 802.11b/g compatible; dual adjustable, rotating coaxial antennas; supports diversity reception

* Status indicators: Power, battery, WiFi; visible lid open or closed

External connectors:

* Power: 2-pin DC-input, 10–25V

* Line output: Standard 3.5mm 3-pin switched stereo audio jack

* Microphone: Standard 3.5mm 2-pin switched mono microphone jack; selectable sensor-input mode

* Expansion: 3 Type-A USB-2.0 connectors

* Maximum power: 500 mA (total)

Battery:

* Pack type: 6 Cells, 7.2V series configuration

* Capacity: 22.8 Watt-hours

* Cell type: 7/5AF or 18670 NiMH

* Cycle life: Minimum 1,000 charge/discharge cycles

Source: http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Hardware_specification

Not bad, not bad at all. My question is if the screen is any good. if so, I'll buy one.

Guest Stefkov

mummy i want a gween one..

seriously i might buy this. if it can play guild wars, hold photoshop, and many other programs then hell yeah

mummy i want a gween one..

seriously i might buy this. if it can play guild wars, hold photoshop, and many other programs then hell yeah

photoshop with only 128 MB of RAM?

it sounds to far fetched to me, unless you really go back to photoshop 6.0 or something like that. also these computers aren't supposed to run Windows, but Linux (even the BIOS is open source).

Sure as it is all compatible hardware architecture they'll pretty hack it early on (just like they did with apple recently).

But the best OS for this system would probably be Windows 2000, not even windows XP.

It would probably be better to let it run win98... Or actually Linux would be great on that.

It comes with linux already installed.

This is a great project, i can already imagine kids having pc's instead of books in the classroom, at the price of the books of only one year! Then they just download a book each year for free!

Launch plans

The laptops will be sold to governments and issued to children by schools on a basis of "one laptop per child." Initial discussions have been held with China, India, Brazil, Argentina, Egypt, Nigeria, and Thailand. In addition, a modest allocation of machines will be used to seed developer communities in a number of other countries. A commercial version of the machine will be explored in parallel.

I just hope someone doesn't start stealing them.

It would probably be better to let it run win98... Or actually Linux would be great on that.
yes, easier for sure, this computer has no hard drives in it... so you'd need to run windows from a pen...

You can fit Windows 98 in 8 MB nowadays:

-> http://www.embeddingwindows.com/

(although more than 8 MB are recomended, but 16 MB is more than enough)

Windows 2000... you'd need almost 200 MB for a mininum stripped out version.(or naked)

Linux seems about right though.

Those saying they are going to buy one might want to read the fucking link before opening their mouths and making stupid fucking comments. Unless you are in charge of education in a country in the global south, and are willing to buy at least 1 million of them, you can't have one.

Uhm, what about "A commercial version of the machine will be explored in parallel."

Uhm, what about "A commercial version of the machine will be explored in parallel."

I boldified the key word for you. We won't be seeing a commercial version for a while, and when (if) we do, I guarantee it will cost you a lot more than $100. So stop wanking yourselves off over the prospect of a cheap laptop, because you're not getting one.

Those saying they are going to buy one might want to read the fucking link before opening their mouths and making stupid fucking comments. Unless you are in charge of education in a country in the global south, and are willing to buy at least 1 million of them, you can't have one.
Why are you so upset? I don't find that friendly towards me and I didn't do anything to piss you off.

Also... although I did say that... I also gave facts such as specs that gave information to the thread, It's not like I did something wrong here.

And this offtopic should be unecessary.