NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

But what if Ganon summons a Giant Enemy Crab? ARRRRRRRRRRGH! RIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

Simple, really.

We attack it's weak point for massive damage!

Link (disguised as smiley)->:horse:<-Giant Enemy Crab (disguised as horse)

Yeah, I like the battle idea. It seems soldiers of Hyrule in Zelda games never challenge Ganon or Vaati, they focus their time on making sure Link doesn't save Hyrule.

The soldiers did challenge Ganon in some of the games but that was off-screen.

Only WW had folks challenge Ganon on screen.

45 minutes...nice...

I remember a scene early in the 1st trailer in which what looked like an army goblins came marching over the horizon.

Wouldn't it just be really, really cool if there was one massive battle at some point in the game in the centre of the hyrule field?

It would be cool with something like Link leading a charge of soldiers (very LotR, I know) into the goblins!

Its Bokoblins.

Also I found this good post about the towns on Ign Boards.

A made a general thread a little while ago for Towns in Twilight Princess, but I want to get more specific here (also, a bunch of you weren't even around for that thread). Lately (and by lately I mean months ago), we've been getting new screenshots of a town overun by the mystical Twilight. I'm not here to interpret those screenshots, but rather, to discuss the possibilities.

Some of you may remember the discussion of the Dungeon Town idea, which involves Link maneuvering through a dungeon in the form of a town, going across rooftops, solving puzzles, all with enemies scavenging about. A boss would be ideal for this situation, particularly one with the ability to crush or burn houses in its pursuit to kill Link.

Another interesting concept is what it means for the Twilight to sweep over a town. In reality, it is very similar to the young Link/adult Link concept of OoT. When you first go to the town, it is peaceful, it offers numerous sidequests, and fun-loving townspeople. When the Twilight comes, everything changes. Enemies appear where there were once cheerful people, and the sidequests will change (let's say from a friendly archery game to lurking beneath a broken house to find a chest). This effectively allows the game to expand without the world growing. This has been used in almost every game, and its absence in TWW is one of the reasons some call it a failure (its huge ocean).

The last interesting fact that comes with having Twilight Towns is the inevitable ability to disperse the Twilight away. Obviously for Link to succeed he must do this (let's not get carried away. I know many of you think Link is going to fail in the end, but not without making some progress). What this means is:

A. The townspeople will return to their normal selves (either from turning into animals or just imprisoned. No one's sure yet), and will praise Link like no other. Link has made a few friends who will give him some fun gifts, and perhaps a little aid here and there when he needs it.

B. The people will return, but be unaware of Link's involvement in saving them. Perhaps they will live in a daze for the next portion of the game, or even blame Link for what happened. Who knows?

C. The town will return to normal, but the people will cease to exist -gone, dead, finished. This means Link now has an empty town, and although the Twilight is gone, it is a somewhat failure (think of the 7 years passed in OoT, and Hyrule Market). Perhaps it will be repopulated by a nearby town later in the game, or perhaps not.

My bet is on B or C, particulary because this Link is not remembered in the prologue to TWW like the Hero of Time. I'm not expecting any big celebrations for him here, either. His quest will be a lonely, unappreciated one, sadly enough.

That's a fantastic post.

Although remember at the end of Ocarina of Time Link returns to his child form and he is a hero no one has heard of, yet.

At the beginning of The Wind Waker, Link(OoT) is one of the greatest legends ever, maybe even more important than princess Zelda herself.

Although if Twilight Princess is to be set at the time when Ganondorf destroys Hyrule there was no recollection of that Link(TP) in the beginning of The Wind Waker.

That is because it says at the end of the Legend sequence in the beginning of The Wind Waker 'none remain of that kingdom who know'.

So A could very well be a possibility but since Hyrule will most likely be destroyed at the end of Twilight Princess there is no time for the new Link(TP) to actually become a Legend.

Although if B or C does happen the game would have a lot more emotion to it which would probably be the best way to go for the game.

Also I am loving the idea of a dungeon being a town and the final boss trying to kill Link by destroying the houses or burning them down, hopefully this may very well be a part of the game.

One thing I don't want at all in this game is the feeling of being restricted, If i see something rendered in 3D and it is right there infront of me I want to be able to go there, I don't want any restrictions because the best part of Zelda is having the world as your own little playground for you to explore yourself.

I'm sure what i've just said is complicated but let me explain a little better:

Zelda Image

That picture looks gorgeous but in the background i'm sure you will see raised areas of land with trees on them.

What i'm trying to get at is I don't want those cliffs just be scenery for the path I am taking to the castle, I want to be able to ride Epona up those hills to the top because maybe there could be a hidden cave there or maybe i just want to look at the world from a higher point.

There's one thing I loved about the previous Zelda games and that's the freedom they offered, there's one thing I hated about Resident Evil 4 and that was the black borders in the village to stop me from straying, so do you get my point now.

Anyway sorry for the incredibly long post.

Although remember at the end of Ocarina of Time Link returns to his child form and he is a hero no one has heard of, yet.

At the beginning of The Wind Waker, Link(OoT) is one of the greatest legends ever, maybe even more important than princess Zelda herself.

Although if Twilight Princess is to be set at the time when Ganondorf destroys Hyrule there was no recollection of that Link(TP) in the beginning of The Wind Waker.

I think people have been specutlating too hard on OOT and WW. TP might not even be related to the games or might only be related to one of them. It could be realted to a different zelda game.

The TP story wasn't even thought off when WW was geting made, the WW story might of been to make the game more dramatic and to give it a connection to OOT,we just have to wait till we complete it to see for ourselves but people are speculating far to heavy on it.

Speculation is all we have since Nintendo are telling us fuck all about the game.

I think people have been specutlating too hard on OOT and WW. TP might not even be related to the games or might only be related to one of them. It could be realted to a different zelda game.
Making use of your avatar:

“Chronologically speaking, the game takes place a few decades after The Ocarina of time,” said Aonuma, which places it between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker. But the version of Link is different than that of any other Legend of Zelda title. Like all of the Links before him, though, he carries a wide assortment of weapons and explores dungeon-like surroundings.
Source: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=7164eddd-2039-4944-920b-d0731be99e05

YA. RLY. - It's official -

I seem to remember someone questioning Aonuma about this later and he said that it wasn't really the case. I might be wrong but hey. To me, I have never found or thought of the games to be chronologically linked.

Link, Zelda and Ganon are concepts that re-present themselves in a different format every game. I know that there have been some mentions of previous Heros but these are all open to a huge amount of interpretation. For instance, why the smeg is Tingle still alive in WW when he is in MM hmmm? The point is that it doesn't matter. It has such little impact on the game really.

Tingle still alive in WW when he is in MM hmmm? The point is that it doesn't matter. It has such little impact on the game really.

Because he is another Tingle who is following The Legend of the Fairy.

Hidden throughout the Tower of the Gods

It is said that long ago, a boy garbed in green known as the Hero of Time saved this land. However, on a certain island, there is also the story of the fairy who saved that hero...

It is said that the Hero of Time met the fairy in the midst of his travels.

The fairy appeared before the Hero, who had found himself lost in darkness.

With a mystic power, it would float in midair, dancing above his head like a

burst balloon.

After the fairy handed the lost Hero a map, it flew off as quickly as it had

appeared. Better able to foresee places of danger than the Hero, the fairy

marked them on a map. The Legend goes on to say the quest of the Hero of Time

was saved by this plump figure...

Fairies live for thousands of years... but this odd fairy was a bit different.

This mystical fairy was born near a lake, and when he met the Hero, he was but

35. Beyond that, there is little known about that fairy...

The little-known Legend of the Fairy's 35th Birthday

On one island they celebrate one's 35th birthday with a green coat and red

pants. They do this in the hopes of becoming like the legendary fairy, Tingle.

It doesnt say TP is related to them. Only placed between them.

Either way im not saying it is or isnt. Just saying people sometimes look too far into it. Myself included.

Of course it's related, it takes place in hyrule before the flood... and after OoT when the land is being englufed in darkness.

There has been various confirmations in interviews of the past... the most recent one is:

Trinen: To be honest I don't know that we have anything that could really qualify as normal anymore. With Twilight Princess, the depth of the story and its connection to past games means that not only does it have twice as much text as Wind Waker, but it includes a fair number of legacy terms that originate in past games, so consistency is a big focus there. We've also been given the oppurtunity to provide a lot of input on everything from play control to difficulty to character design, so over time our role has grown from simply localizing the Zelda games to almost being a branch of the development team itself.

What?? wth is that? I'm confused.

If you had a GBA you could link-up your GBA to the Gamecube which lets you talk to Tingle and take on his quests to find things for him that are around Wind Waker world.

Tingles Tuner.

That picture looks gorgeous but in the background i'm sure you will see raised areas of land with trees on them.

What i'm trying to get at is I don't want those cliffs just be scenery for the path I am taking to the castle, I want to be able to ride Epona up those hills to the top because maybe there could be a hidden cave there or maybe i just want to look at the world from a higher point.

Oh come on.... I understand what you're saying, but just look at how steep those cliffs are. You really think a horse can ride up there? There are places in the real world you can't reach (on foot or horse, anyway) so why can't there be places like that in a game?

Last time I ever speak my thoughts...

I don't mean having the horse actually walking up the very steep looking cliffs.

I mean i don't want the game to be full of scenery that the gamer can't actually enjoy for themselves.

I agree with McMad - we are surely past the point in games where we have lovely buildings and hills which are simply fancy fences to hold the player on their path.

It would be fantastic if there could be parts of the game like McMad described. You think the mountain in the distance is just for show but then later in the game you end up finding a way up to it. It would make the world feel more realistic if there were places where you could go just to explore them, even if there's little or nothing there.

One of the things I liked most about WW was the islands dotted about where you could just land and see what was there.

Yeah places where you can access with some real time and effort to get secrets or easter eggs. Would rock muchly...

I still say that each of the games are individual and unlinked. Everytime is a new Hyrule, new Zelda, new Link, new Ganon. As I said if there are links (which there are a few fan bits apparently) they make no difference to the games at all.

Yeah but couldn't that link be about any of the other Zelda games set in Hyrule?

Well in the Legend at the beginning of The Wind Waker it says the 'Hero of Time' saved the land of Hyrule.

In Ocarina of Time it was stated that Link became the Hero of Time by fighting Ganon's forces as both a child and an adult.