N-Europe

Talk Talk Broadband

Blackfox

So, I find out today that thhis house has been connected to Talk Talk phone service for a couple of months and my mum is considering joining a different talk tarrif that gives us the free broadband.

Now, coupla' things - Will the quality be any good, or will it be slow as hell due to the mass popularity? Will the upload be shit? WIll it be better than the AOL 1Mbit that I get off AOL (:red:) for £17.99?

Now, I know it has a 40 gig DL limit - but I don't think I wuill be using 40 gigs a month anywho..

Opinions? Should we go for this deal?

I think im moving to it, unless you're a warez whore like Jordan you probably won;t be scraping the 40gb limit. The only probllem is, the website said to us that broadband would be ready at the end of august..

AOL is first-class crap. Flee it as soon as possible. 40gigs pretty generous too.

EDIT:

OK. So i've just looked at the site. You're getting up to 8meg broadband, 40GB download limit, and unlimited calls to UK landlines and landlines across 28 countries for £20.99 per month, which includes your line rental. That's a pretty sweet deal. Where do I sign?

OK. So i've just looked at the site. You're getting up to 8meg broadband, 40GB download limit, and unlimited calls to UK landlines and landlines across 28 countries for £20.99 per month, which includes your line rental. That's a pretty sweet deal. Where do I sign?

I pay £15 for tiscali and get a 2meg line, crap as download "limit", and free calls to UK numbers, as soon as the contract ends I'm moving to that (I don't think I will go over 40GB a month).

Guest Jordan

If you don't download much, TalkTalk is a great deal.

However, i'm averaging 80-140GB a month right now.

Talk Talk's broadband service is very very bad, AOL seems great compared to them.

I have heard things such as extreme throttling where you only get decent download speeds between 12 midnight and 7am, very unstable connections and very anti anything but surfing and emailing. To top this if you want to get out you have to pay £70 to get out of their 18 month contracts.

These problems existed before they started the free broadband, so if there are several thousand more users on their broadband service the quality can only get worse.

Guest Jordan

My HDD's:

"Dabbers" My Machine

Primary IDE

Boot drive: 80GB (Running Windows XP x64 Edition)

Games 1: 200GB

Secondary IDE

Pioneer Dual Layer DVD-RW

Vista Test Drive: 30GB

IDE Card

Games 2: 120GB

Anime: 200GB

Movies: 200GB

TV Series: 200GB

"Freebie" Other machine

Primary IDE

Boot Drive: 80GB (Running Windows XP SP2)

Everything Else (Music, apps etc): 120GB

Secondary IDE

LG DVD-RW

Games 3: 120GB

Total HDD Space

1.350TB Physical Space (1350GB)

1.18TB Actual Space (1188.5GB)

Athlon 64 3800+ in my machine, Athlon XP 3200+ in the other. Fun fun fun.

Talk Talk are currently paying early adopters to go through the BT network, so reports that the service you get from Talk Talk this early are completely unfounded. It theoretically should be the exact same service as BT customers get (which as I understand is already pretty crap anyway)

Talk Talk is free, and I consider their scheme to be pretty rad.. they're buying their own space on exchanges this Winter so the true 'Talk Talk broadband for free' can only be judged then.

With regard to their customer service I imagine they're pretty poor.. but if you're a techy you should know how to maintain a computer.

I have AOL, i don't use their software and I've never spoken to them.. great service always. I use their manual settings to dial up to the network and their free usb modem is a bit shit, but it works on my Mac so I'm vaguely happy.

Despite all the AOL haters their service ain't so bad.. sure the software is shit but you don't have to use it. I'm sticking with AOL and will probably switch to Talk Talk later in the year unless an equivalent service comes along from AOL.

I like the idea of Telewest really, phone, broadband and TV through one cable.

I'm with TalkTalk, and i can categorically say they are absolutely abysmal.

I can't comment on the speeds, since I've not really used any other provider. However, I can say that the connection continually cuts and is very unstable. Customer services is beyond belief - i've telephoned, emailed, written and nothing seems to be done (not even a bog standard response from them). In fact, most telephone calls i've made i've waited in excess of half an hour (hence my futile efforts to email and write) - to which a Customer Service Representitive replied "well it is a free call for you, Sir" - to which i questioned him that its not the expense of the call, its the waste of time trying to continually get an two issue sorted - namely paper or accurate onbline billing and an accurate copy invoice of previous payments.

Beleive it or not, TalkTalk can invoice and bill the right amounts.

I seriously recommend ANYONE to ignore the free adverts offer, and actually pay for broadband rather than use this lame service.

I best post this, before Charles Dunstone pulls my plug out at the exchange (a favoured hobby of his, in my opinion).