NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

Perrin Kaplan Comments on Nintendo Wii

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/408

In an interview with CNN Money, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Affairs Perrin Kaplan provided insight into the company's decision to name its next-generation console the Nintendo Wii.

"The other systems have an extension of their current names; ours is a new leap to something different," Kaplan said. "A lot of thought went into the name."

The announcement of the name change has brought mixed reactions across various Internet gaming forums and publications. Kaplan responded, "I think people have to look back and let it settle in. I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named – or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

As for why Nintendo chose to reveal the official name now and not at its pre-E3 press conference on May 9, the company didn't want people to be distracted from the announcement of software titles and other information disclosed about the console.

"We want people to understand our approach before we get to E3," Kaplan said. "[Also], it's really noisy at E3 and I don't think we would have had the chance to explain how we came to the name."

I guess I agree...(with the bolded statement)

mmm....maybe, but "a lot of though", why not just waa (way), at least it wouldn't be so comical...well I guess google and ipod and even walkman were all kinda funny at first.

I like the new name. Not better than Revo but ok.

"The other systems have an extension of their current names; ours is a new leap to something different"

Thats important.

And Please only discuss those things that has something to do with the Perrin Kaplan Comments. We don't need 2 Name threads.

Well, she's right about it being a bad idea to announce this during the press conference. They'd never get the crowd to quieten down.

So they must have predicted the mostly negative response to the name then?

I understand what he means about the google, yahoo, ipod, napster thing, and i suppose hes right, but im still not fully convinced. I cant imagen saying "im going to play with my Wii now"

Perrin is a she.

I agree with her though, if they would have revealed the name at E3 people would have gone nuts and the room would be ablaze. People would just not understand it that way. It is a weird name and we need some time to digest it.

I´m guessing it will grow on most of us, others will still dislike it and some will act like the real kiddies and make pissjokes about it. Grow up, as someone said.

What's that Perrin..? Huh? I can't hear you*...

My balls are bouncing too loudly on your mother's chin.

* I actually agree with Perrin entirely, sure it's on the extreme end of the scale but I think Nintendo needs to go radical to destroy this image they have.

Difference is none of the names she's mentioned - google, iPod etc. sounded like a bodily function (or any I've ever heard of at least).

I love Nintendo and I will be buying their new console but I think they've already killed it at retail in any english speaking country with that name although I'd love to be proved wrong.

This sounds like classic Perrin here. She is just blindly saying that it'll be all ok. She has no clue what she is saying sometimes. She has obviously missed out what the UK think.

A lot of thought went into the name? Someone shouted out a random name then they all went down the pub to get pissed! Or did they decide on the name after the binge drinking session??

People thought Nintendo RS was a bad name because it sounds too much like arse...

I'm playing devils advocate here:

Comparing the name to ipod,google etc and to how freaked out everyone was about the controller is ridiculous - it's the not the weirdness or the unexpectedness thats putting people off - it's that it called Wii - which is pronounced exactly like Wee!! That simple fact is why people are hating it!! They must, and people must stop defending the name saying its just weird, we'll get used to it!! Yes we may get used to it - but it will ALWAYS be called Wii/Wee - New people to the brand will just think it is an absolute joke of a name.

For example, lets just say that you wasn't that interested in music, or if you were you loved Sonys walkman - you were happy with it, its amazing and everyone knows Sony make the best portable music devices.

Then Apple come out with their new music device which is pronounced 'Wee' - would that make you buy it? Would it put you off instantly? Would it make you leave your walkman and buy it?

I'm pretty sure your answers would be No, Yes No. Some (hopefully All) will say that if Apples Wee was amazing then they would get it still - great, so would I. But not everyone has sense, and some people may not even give it a chance to see how amazing it is!!! Fact is, theres an uneccesary chance of losing customers, and likely the very customers that Nintendo are targeting this time - non gamers!!!!!

And unfortunately there are some idiots out there who know how incredible the machine is, have wanted it for months, and now don't want it becaiuse of the name!!! Thankfully they are few and far between!!!

PS Please excuse the hideous cliche!!

So I'm happy I'm not English cause I'm never thiinking wii that way... :)

exactly.

and people - I don't think it works "wee" in the US.

and look - hey guys, Europe isn't just the UK!!! there's like, a few hundred million people on the mainland bit.

oh look, maybe thats a bigger market than the UK alone...

most people on the net either are

1)finding out about this slang term and thinking its common round the world

2)just not likeing the "strange" name.

perrin is addressing number 2, number 1 will be hardcore gamers who live on the net only.

number 1 obviously will develop an affinity for the wii over time, and number 2 will also sooner or later convert to wii lovers.

most people on the net either are

1)finding out about this slang term and thinking its common round the world

2)just not likeing the "strange" name.

What have you been reading? Because most of the negative comments I've seen have been based on the whole 'wee' thing, rather than the fact that it's simply a strange name. Kaplan wants people to think that it's just a strange name, like Google and iPod, but honestly, it's not in the same league. If it was just a strange name, like Zee or Woo, it'd be a lot easier to get used to.

And you say that 'wee' is only a problem in England. Even if that were the case, do you really think it's a good idea to alienate any market in this way? Yes, the UK isn't the biggest gaming market in the world, but it still has a lot of Nintendo fans in it who are going to be embarrassed about talking about Wii. By not acknowledging this, Nintendo are basically saying, 'We don't care about our fans in the UK'

What have you been reading? Because most of the negative comments I've seen have been based on the whole 'wee' thing, rather than the fact that it's simply a strange name. Kaplan wants people to think that it's just a strange name, like Google and iPod, but honestly, it's not in the same league. If it was just a strange name, like Zee or Woo, it'd be a lot easier to get used to.

And you say that 'wee' is only a problem in England. Even if that were the case, do you really think it's a good idea to alienate any market in this way? Yes, the UK isn't the biggest gaming market in the world, but it still has a lot of Nintendo fans in it who are going to be embarrassed about talking about Wii. By not acknowledging this, Nintendo are basically saying, 'We don't care about our fans in the UK'

I don't know "wee" is only a problem in England, that is an assumption, if anyone lives in another country where wee = urine then ok, but as far as I am currently aware I am correct in my assumption. Very open to correction though.

is it acceptable that England is the only one affected (if it is)?

nope. it's an appalling over sight. Nintendo may choose to alter pronunciation ("why" perhaps).

however.

we vs wee.

psp = pee

wii = whee

I think the internet community tends to be less mature than society at large. Wii is aiming for new demographics.

those demographics aren't well represented currently, and we can't say what they think.

I tested the name on a friend and he seemed ok with it, just thought it was weird.

The main problem seems to be most young guys want a power name, but thats not who Nintendo are aiming for. I think the name is good, because, much like the controller, its a bit like jumping out of a plane with a parachute, its a gamble, because everytime there is a chance the parachute will fail.

with the controller and this name I think Nintendo are jumping out of the old safe palce they were in, and now as fans we are left either to stay in an empty plane, or jump out after them, kinda forcing us, which I think is most of the negative reaction

I think people have to look back and let it settle in. I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named – or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique.
Except those names are good stupid b*tch... They don't sound like a child screaming while on crack, well maybe Yahoo does but that's not a video game console.

I was speaking to a dutch friend, who was telling me in Holland that wee means the same thing. However, he pointed out that Holland have a clothes company called "We" and the population have become accepting of the name, not associating it with urine.

Still out of the millions of names Nintendo could choose, it is the most risky and will alienate members of the public, losing sales for a silly, avoidable reason.

well.. maybe it will slow sales a bit, but looking at the 360 (and dslite) perhaps thats not so bad, just means they'll cope with demand a bit better, and need to advertise lots (which they needed anyway)

"Wee" is a problem in the USA, too, just look at the IGN Roundtable thread. As to those saying that the UK isn't big enough to worry about, just remember the videogame market sizes are in this order:

1. USA

2. Europe

3. Japan

But if you want to be more precise:

1. USA

2. Japan

3. UK

4. Rest of Europe

The UK market is actually bigger than the rest of Europe, in terms of sales, so this is something that should have been considered and not just dismissed as an "English problem".

As to Perrin Kaplin's comments, they would not have dared announce this at the E3 press conference; they would have either been laughed off stage or had mass-walkouts, I reckon. How long do you think it would have taken someone to stick their hand up and ask, "Can I be excused, I need to go for a wii?"

"Wee" is a problem in the USA, too, just look at the IGN Roundtable thread. As to those saying that the UK isn't big enough to worry about, just remember the videogame market sizes are in this order:

1. USA

2. Europe

3. Japan

But if you want to be more precise:

1. USA

2. Japan

3. UK

4. Rest of Europe

The UK market is actually bigger than the rest of Europe, in terms of sales, so this is something that should have been considered and not just dismissed as an "English problem".

As to Perrin Kaplin's comments, they would not have dared announce this at the E3 press conference; they would have either been laughed off stage or had mass-walkouts, I reckon. How long do you think it would have taken someone to stick their hand up and ask, "Can I be excused, I need to go for a wii?"

I saw that, I assumed wee must be a word not commonly used in America, because, I assumed, NoA wouldn't be THAT stupid, and that way it could have been down to stupid (and inexcusable) lack of market research.

but yes, seeing America, Uk + Australia will all make this association it can be an issue.

having said that, this seemingly being SUCH a blunder, surely there must be something that makes it all ok...

if thats the case this is awesome marketing, the name is out there, by E3 wii will be out there (apparently its been on radio1 for a start, so thats got the word out in the UK), then at E3 - this is why.

everyone now turns from laughter to "wow".

or its just a big blunder. Wii is a hit in Japan, and some European countries, but has a hard time in lots of countries.

Or perhaps Nintendo just plan on spending loads on advertising?

or have a whole campaign that is a revolutionary advertising campaign, and requires an appalling name to work? :wtf:

I'll be honest, I haven't a clue, very strange and surreal behaviour from such a large company.

Sign in to follow this