N-Europe

New(?) Game Idea

InvaderElmo

So I know that this might not appeal to any of you guys, but I thought of an idea for a new MMO game-thingy:

MMO Home Gym 2000!! (or some other more serious name)

Bundled with the game:

- 2 thin sensors (one for above each ankle) that would be about the size of a longer iPod Nano. They would essentially have all FHC functions but just one button for turning on or something. They would have comfy cloth straps with velcro for easy one-size-fits-all attachment.

- 1 headphones + mic + clip that would attach to the shirt of the person. This would be a very light clip, and would be able to communicate position but not direction. The headphones + mic part could be detached if voice chat wasn't wanted, or the entire unit could be optional.

**I know, these 3 items + the 2 FHCs = 5 "controllers" but I think the Rev could do it**

This game would come in a thicker DVD case (like a box set of TV episodes) that would house the other three components when not in use. This allows them to sit out in plain view with the other DVDs.

Game Concept:

Convenience- Soccer moms across the world could quickly put on the leg sensors, pick up the FHCs (perhaps put on ankle and wrist weights) and log in to a virtual workout gym. They could do a real-time session with friends or work out with downloaded ghosts of themselves/friends/Richard Simmons etc. The mic clip tracks the torso and the hands and feet are tracked with respect to the torso location. After a quick calibration (touch the floor, hips, shoulders) the system could accurately animate the character.

Customized Experience- There would be different "rooms" they could go to- Mushroom Kingdom, Army boot camp, regular looking gyms, mountain vistas, etc. Different people in the same live session could choose to see the room and instructor differently, even the other exercisers (the NPCs) could be turned into koopas or something, who knows. People could customize their own character's looks (like Oblivion) and outfits. It would even be possible to have each song have alternate songs of the same length/speed/beat so that two people are doing the same steps in time with each other, but to different music.

If people already own a treadmill they could put down the FHCs (or just jog in place) and go "jogging" with friends through forest paths or famous cities and talk to each other or just listen to music on a virtual iPod. This would also be a great way to get free telephone calls, too, if you don't want to pay the long distance.

Motivation/Stat Tracking- Everyone knows it is easier to work out if you have someone there to work out with and who will be upset if you don't show up. If someone doesn't have a specific friend they want to work out with, they could go through some Nintendo sanctioned way of finding a workout buddy. After sessions people could go to lounges or jogging and just talk (if they are "friends"). The game would track calories burned, what types of exercise people like to do, etc. and even suggest other exercises. Leader boards could be posted for most consecutive days, most calories burned in a week, etc. There could be global, local, "friend" and "rival" boards.

Mini-Games and Downloadable Content- Along with the traditional yoga, jogging, Tae-Bo, step aerobics, Pilates, etc. type things that could be included, there could be fun exercise-oriented mini-games like DDR without the mat, whack-a-mole (either with feet or with hands), maybe even basic dance instruction, the sky's the limit.

People could import songs for jogging from their computers, or purchase additional games or scenery online. Songs to workout to might need to be purchased so that their length/speed/beat information could be attached, but they could come in packs and be fairly cheap. Entire themes could be bundled together and include a workout gym or two, a number of jogging runs, instructor skins, and some associated music.

Expanding the market:

Imagine if this was a really well done "game" and was advertised on Oprah, HGTV's I Want That, and other shows that grown ups watch. Then imagine Nintendo licensing educational software for toddlers/children a la Leap Frog and I think you can see that this would find its way into many homes that don't currently have "gaming" systems.

What do you think?

Could work I guess. I think it is a very interesting application as it is another kind of non-game in a sense. But I guess it depends on how it is advertised and whether it gets flamed as being sad.

I think it would work better though if there wasn't such a competitive undertone to it. It could become a sort of international excercise network! Scary.... imagine the booklet of health and safety warnings.

Some nice ideas there. Sounds 'out there' at first, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Like Nintendogs, I think it definitely has the potential to reel in new players. And not just Soccer Moms, whatever they may be.