N-Europe

Thinking of Purchasing Vista? then read this

CompSci

Guest Jordan

The only problem with this, its thats its based on a beta build not the final product.

I'll reserve my judgements till then.

If it's anything like XP was, I think I might give it a few months until they disocver THE big security fault or bug that will ineviatbly ship with it.

EDIT:"The company is too big and too slow to ship updates to its biggest products. It's collapsing under its own weight."

My thoughts exactly.

It some ways, Windows Vista actually will exceed Mac OS X and Linux, but not to the depth we were promised. Instead, Windows Vista will do what so many other Windows releases have done, and simply offer consumers and business users a few major changes and many subtle or minor updates.

What more can you want? People have been making cars for around a hundred years now. Mine still breaks down, leaks through the roof, doesn't go as fast as I would like and isn't as safe as I would like. This is Microsoft's 6th or 7th major windows release I presume?

Vista was never going to be the "be all and end all" that reviewer was expecting it to be. Its a development, adding new features, as he said in his conclusion. Thats what we expected, and that is good!

Like somebody above me said, he tested a Beta version. The purpose of testing is to decide whether side scrolling is good, to adjust new features like see through windows, and to generally make mistakes so they can be fixed.

I'm sure Vista will be an incredibly irritating, flawed system. Thats computing. At least it will be better than XP. Maybe in another 80 years we will be getting closer to what we want, but we will always be a long way off the ideal system.

Not in this decade. I expect Leopard which is going to coincide with Vista's launch to be amazing.

Vista really has to be innovative and really not be a hardware hog that it is shaping up to be.

My Mac needs upgrading at the moment, will probably pick up one of the MacBooks and then have a Vista machine for home in 2010 as mention- hardware resources will be above 'minimum' and at a reasonable price.

On top of that there are holes that will need to be ironed out..

Anyone got a clue if Vista will run on Macs? Dunno if Vista is a generation ahead of intel core duo or not?

With regards to macs not being irritating..

Moria my brother has a mac, and while I appreciate its simple appearance and supposed ease of use in design (which I'm not really interested in) it does annoy me. The macs we have at uni are infuriating. no scroll wheel and no right clicking! It takes ages to copy anything, since i don't know the keyboard shortcut. (i presume there is one)

I find it hard to find things in a mac, maybe just because I don't know it very well. On my pc there are shortcuts on the desktop, theres the startbar, and then the my music etc folders. On the mac there is the spotlight, but it can be very slow at times.

The mac barely ever stalls, but when it stalls it does it big time. Ive only ever managed to break charlie's one once, but it refused to power off so i had to turn it off at the wall, which can't be good...

Anyway, maybe im just used to using PCs but I think the advantage of using the same system as 90% of other computer users outweigh the supposed better design on macs

I agree with Balfron. Also, the main reason I'm not switching to Mac is that mostly all programs ever are for Windows, but not so many are for Mac and Linux. Take MSN Messenger, for instance. If you have Mac or Linux you have to settle for a crappy unofficial version, while in Windows you get the real deal. And I, for one, have never had a single problem with any Windows system my entire life. I've never had a bluescreen, never had a computer-killing virus (though my dad did once), and generally no viruses at all. So my experience with Windows is good, as opposed to other people it seems.

With regards to macs not being irritating..

Moria my brother has a mac, and while I appreciate its simple appearance and supposed ease of use in design (which I'm not really interested in) it does annoy me. The macs we have at uni are infuriating. no scroll wheel and no right clicking! It takes ages to copy anything, since i don't know the keyboard shortcut. (i presume there is one)

I find it hard to find things in a mac, maybe just because I don't know it very well. On my pc there are shortcuts on the desktop, theres the startbar, and then the my music etc folders. On the mac there is the spotlight, but it can be very slow at times.

The mac barely ever stalls, but when it stalls it does it big time. Ive only ever managed to break charlie's one once, but it refused to power off so i had to turn it off at the wall, which can't be good...

Anyway, maybe im just used to using PCs but I think the advantage of using the same system as 90% of other computer users outweigh the supposed better design on macs

Just use another mouse, Mac OS X works with almost all USB-mice (atleast all I've tried, and plenty of them have had several buttons and a scrollwheel), nowadays Macs ship with a multibutton mouse and a scrollpad.

Many ordinary shortcuts (like Copy which usually is CTRL-C on windows) is the same on Mac, except you use the Command/Apple key instead of Control, so copy is CMD-C.

And you can create whatever shortcuts you want, just drop a folder in the sidebar of a Finder (Explorer in Windows) window, and there are some from the beginning (like Desktop, Applications, Music, Pictures etc)

Yeah, command (apple button) does virtually everything that shift or control does on the PC. It is annoying not having a right-mouse button, but as Garrit said, that's easy to sort out. To get to the music folders etc, just click on Finder in the dock and then all the folders should be displayed there...

so yeah, apparently it's going to turn in a mac vs. windows thread (again. and again. and again. and...). there's no use in fighting for the better system. every system has it's positive and negative points. i know that because i own a mac and a pc. and if i want to, i can freeze both. but if i know how to work with both systems, i don't get a bluescreen or a grey "turn off your mac with the power button"-message. so sometimes it's just the user (unless you're sharing your 'computing device' with someone).

and linux should be included in my above statement, but it isn't, i never got it to work the way i wanted it. but that's okay. because it isn't my thing and i'm better off with xp and os x. now i hope i didn't stand on anyone's feet (as i did with my last post, regarding a mac fan) and everyone understood my point of view. have a nice day and thank you for the read.

I can't be arsed to defend Mac with regard to the Windows users posts.. I used to have a similar stance really.. I have had windows for my entire life and Mac seemed very dodgy.

They've changed a lot though, and little things like right click, copy and paste.. and programs are myths really. Mighty Mouse for example.

Anyway back onto a Vista thread which is not about Macs..

I think it's gonna be ridiculously graphically intensive.. i've seen their Window system which is basically Expose but in 3D and that's mental.

I don't think I could justify the cost of a Vista system that would 'work' nicely in this decade.

The question of competing products from rival comapnies is always going to be part of the debate around all new Windows releases. Only for the past few years have the likes of Mac, or Mozilla with their Firefox browser have started to be able to offer any real alternative as Microsoft is finally halted in it's quest to destroy all competition by the sheer weight of it's bank account. It's like in Topgear - they review a car, but usually also have a quick look to see what the competition offers. Otherwise, the question wouldn't be "if" you were going to get the new Windows, but more the same question of "when" which many consumers have had to endure for many years.

I think Microsoft has that 'when' factor pretty well secured in the minds of the next generation.

Most of the kids in schools are one Windaz.. and I think it's going to follow a natural progression- it's what we learnt in school it's what we'll get.

This may seem bizare to us technophiles but average joe doesn't know how to work a pooter.. many kids don't have the net or even a PC.

They'll learn at school- and their first interaction will be 100% windows orientated.

This will be daunting at best, and I doubt many will want to touch other systems when they grow up.

It's a shame but Microsoft has invested in our children, and will cash in $$$ in 10 years.

Anyway, the reality of glass windows is that they stink. The windows themselves are translucent, meaning you can see through them partially. But the visual difference between the topmost window (that is, the window with which you are currently interacting, or what we might describe as the window with focus) and any other windows (i.e. those windows that are visually located "under" the topmost window) is subtle at best. More to the point, you can't tell topmost windows from other windows at all. And don't pretend you can.

Let's look at an example. Here are two windows in Windows Vista, viewed side-by-side. Quick: Which one is the top-most window? You have a 50 percent chance of getting it right, so don't pat yourself on the back if you chose the right one quite yet. The truth is, neither one is particularly differentiated from the other.

Is he blind? Its much easier to see the top-most window in Vista.

XP - Very slightly lighter on unselected windows

Vista - Huge Green "X" Glowing on top window.

Now, the big green close button is much better, as it only takes a 1-milisecond glance at the screen to find it.

I find it very difficult to view the Areo desktop as anything other then a totally needless and possibly an impractical feature. Will Vista basic have DX10, or are they going to hold my future enjoyment of PC games hostage again? To be honest if I had known that Bootcamp was coming, I would have most likely got a Mac.

EDIT: While we're here are there any DX10 cards out yet? On Overclockers.co.uk, there are GeForce 7900s listed as "Built for Vista" but it's not immediatly obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

Well didn't see the point in starting a new thread for this random thought that I came up with.

Everyone knows that the future of pc gaming is in dx10 + vista. Microsoft has no plans on supporting dx10 and it's improved graphics capability on xp. There will be upgrade on dx9 but it's not the same as 10. So every pc gamer that wants to be at the cutting edge of hardware will have to buy vista.

Now that's probably the only valid reason for me to buy a copy, but at the same time the reason not to buy it. Microsoft basically tells ati and nvidia what features should they have on their next graphics chip. For me it seems like Microsoft is forcing me (a gamer) to buy vista, but I don't like to be forced to do anything.

Vista has many upgrades to XP but when you think about it how much do you need them? I don't even use all the features that xp has. And for some actual businesses there seems to be little or no point in upgrading to vista. Word processing, spreadsheet etc. can be done with a lesser computer running nt/xp (this doesn't mean that all businesses shouldn't upgrade though) . So I think that's why microsoft is trying to target gamers as an audience.

I think there's no valid reason for xp not to support dx10 (other than lazy programmers...)