N-Europe

Miyamoto drops the Zelda A-bomb.

Nintendork

Yeah, I can imagine it's tiring to hold your arm for a long time aiming around.

The FHC might actually cause RSI :woops:

Nintendo is taking a tough stance on the Mario Kart DS technique snaking by issuing a warning in a sticky on their forums saying don't do it.

It's destroying people's hands.

They'll probably have a splash screen with warnings and links to health and safety shizzle.. like on DS, you have to tap it to acknowledge you've read it.

Remember the people who have played the Metroid demo felt fatigue in the arm after around 30 minutes of intensive play.

If you want to marathon it now is the time to get training! :)

I haven't heard this anywhere, 1UP said they pulled up a chair and rested their hands in their lap and it wasn't tiring at all, same with EDGE, just smalls turns/flicks of the wrist.

There's absolutely no need to hold your arm out extended!

Havn't heard it either,you can just put it on your lap,but righ away I can tell when im at a climatic point or cool boss (especially using as sword) ill be up jumping about like a maniac lol,won't be able to help myself and swinging my arm away even if im tired :P

I haven't heard this anywhere, 1UP said they pulled up a chair and rested their hands in their lap and it wasn't tiring at all, same with EDGE, just smalls turns/flicks of the wrist.

There's absolutely no need to hold your arm out extended!

Dude no need to defend something you've not played or experienced.. I'm only going on what they reported. I love Revolution as much as everyone but this system's free hand controler will not lend itself well to intensive play for long periods of time.. it's more casual play.

And unless you read the same things in my Safari's history then I'm not suprised you didn't read it.

t first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked.

It cannot be denied.. you cannot tether your arm to your legs forever. If you think you can I suggest you re-watch the promo video.. this is an active console.. and will be enjoyed best in short bursts.. I personally hope developpers expect a good amount of action to be input into the console.. and good rewards for doing so.

I'm not "defending" as such myself, I'm just saying I haven't heard that anywhere (who did report it by the way?). Whereas I have seen that it's not tiring at all.

I can't see any reason why your arms would tire... I play with a keyboard and mouse for hours on end, moving my wrist/arm all the time and don't get tired at all!

Maybe if I prance about like they do in the promo vid but I can seriously say I doubt I would!

It cannot be denied.. you cannot tether your arm to your legs forever.

Why not? I do this with my current controllers!

As usual, I'd be sat back in my "gaming chair" and have my arms rested in my lap making the smallest of movements (which HAS been said is all that's needed)... why would this be tiring?

Unless i'm playing a "swing the controller" game (baseball, golf, tennis type games - which I will, more than likely, not) then there's no reason for it to be tiring really.

It's to do with blood flow man.. and gravity.

We don't have to do much work to play a current game.. all the work is done by 2 thumbs and 2 fingers.. and obviously a bit more with keyboards but not huge amount of muscle work.

Muscles need oxygen and energy to function.. to contract and move.. the ones for typing are pretty weak, they don't move much and that's why we don't get fatigued.

Free hand controller will not just use out fingers and thumbs.. but also our biceps and triceps, pectorals and others to allow the pointing and basic swaying movements.

Many games will take advantage of this.. Like you, I will prefer to play simpler one handed games without the nunchuka and require little to no effort to move.. maybe just an A/B point game.

To get a real fully flowing aiming and exploring experience from FPS games and perhaps some others we'll be working harder than the PS2 equivalent.

If we tested 2 average healthy people I bet someone would last far longer playing constantly on the PS2/Xbox in 1 genre of a game (FPS) compared to Revolution.

We'd get lactic acid build up like we do exercise.. I am happy to not be able to play Metroid for 6 hour sessions.. that's not a healthy lifestyle really. I'd be happy to play an active game in an hour session really.

I was talking about moving the mouse around (lets say in an FPS), there's just as much movement there as there would be needed (in an FPS) with the Rev controller, 1UP and EDGE both have said this! Simple turns of the wrist, no arm swaying needed at all!

I can't see how you think it would get tiring like this, whereas FPS's on the PC aren't tiring!

The amount of energy put into controlling it is negligible! Not enough to tire you at all!

Dork I totally disagree with you. Every single review I have read of the Revo demo said that they were actually surprised at how little physical effort was needed.

There is no difference between the way you arm rests when comparing the FHC and a normal pad. And why do you rely so much on one source that you haven't quoted especially when it conflicts with several others.

As you usually quote (when trying to win arguements that you have lost) "quit your jibba jabba". Ass

In my opinion you won't need much more physical work with the Revolution controller than with any other - you won't have many games which need you to move for a long time. Basicly a slight moving in 3D should be sufficient for nearly every game. I am also a guy who started moving the old NES controller into the air when jumping with Mario ... so I am used to it :smile:

It's to do with blood flow man.. and gravity.

We don't have to do much work to play a current game.. all the work is done by 2 thumbs and 2 fingers.. and obviously a bit more with keyboards but not huge amount of muscle work.

Muscles need oxygen and energy to function.. to contract and move.. the ones for typing are pretty weak, they don't move much and that's why we don't get fatigued.

Free hand controller will not just use out fingers and thumbs.. but also our biceps and triceps, pectorals and others to allow the pointing and basic swaying movements.

If we tested 2 average healthy people I bet someone would last far longer playing constantly on the PS2/Xbox in 1 genre of a game (FPS) compared to Revolution.

We'd get lactic acid build up like we do exercise.. I am happy to not be able to play Metroid for 6 hour sessions.. that's not a healthy lifestyle really. I'd be happy to play an active game in an hour session really.

(truncated a bit by me)

ok. the test 2 HEALTHY people... um. no.

lets see. cooking. playing a guitar. drumming. playing baseball. playing football. walking.

all these things require work and effort. people do them, no problem.

if a person finds playing on the revolution tiring, then they NEED the console, if only for the very gentle exercise.

The controller won't weigh lots, its tiny, and easy to use.

quite frankly, the thought of HEALTHY people being restricted because of fatigue while using the revolution controller is a laughable concept. unhealthy, or people of average health, possibly. healthy people no. just no.:shakehead

I imagine however, that those wanting to play 6 hour sessions will be far below average health, but really they ought to be looking forward to getting some exercise :) hey, maybe some dev somewhere could even make a interactive exercise game :smile:

also, exercise releases chemicals that improve mood. so infact games are likely to be more enjoyable on the rev for that reason...

I guess some sports sims might get tirring, like a boxing/tennis game played for a long time, but that would just add to the coolness.

It would have to be very energetic, but as you said, it would add to the coolness - enjoy playing a videogame + (if you play regularly enough, and push yourself) get fitter :) win win.

unless the game sucks, but then you can just use it for the exercise? :hmm:

Haha, all this talk about energetic movements has given me an idea for a game:

Track and Field Revolution!!!

You'd have a choice of a series of events where the idea is to mimic the event while holding the controller in your hand.

For example:

100 metres - Run on the spot while pumping your arms like a professional runner. The faster you move, the faster your character runs.

Discus - Make several turns on the spot whilst gaining momentum and then as you're on the final spin, press the A button at the moment you want to 'release' the discus.

Course, an Olympic-style game would offer even more possibilities: Skiing, swimming, rowing, weightlifting...

What a pointless discussion.

There's no point in disagreeing something you haven't played yourself. Nintendork just mentioned something he read somewhere.

It probably depends on how you hold it - like some people get RSI from mice and others don't, the same will count for getting tired arms from the Revolution controller. We can't say anything about it yet, because we don't have it.

Just look at this.

See his arm moving..? That's what we'll be doing..

1. Most people's TV's aren't THAT big - large movements will not be needed.

2. Most people would choose to rest their arm on something (in lap or on arm of chair)and aim by moving their wrist not their whole arm (as said in 1UP and EDGE's hands-on's)

Kav, the gyro thing emulates a mouse, end of the day the TV size is irrelevant.. it is still emulating the movements of a mouse on a 2D plane.

You simply adjust the mouse sensitivity as you'd know if you played any PC based FPS..

If he wanted to rest his wrist down why doesn't he? Because you don't get as accurate flow then.. because you'd have to up the mouse sensitivity too.

Laziness = Inaccuracy.. I will use my Free Hand Controller Freely, like in the promo Revolution video.

I don't really want to argue.. I know that games will be more enjoyable without restricting yourself.

Kav, the gyro thing emulates a mouse, end of the day the TV size is irrelevant.. it is still emulating the movements of a mouse on a 2D plane.

You simply adjust the mouse sensitivity as you'd know if you played any PC based FPS..

If he wanted to rest his wrist down why doesn't he? Because you don't get as accurate flow then.. because you'd have to up the mouse sensitivity too.

Laziness = Inaccuracy.. I will use my Free Hand Controller Freely, like in the promo Revolution video.

I don't really want to argue.. I know that games will be more enjoyable without restricting yourself.

Well having played loads of PC FPS's (its what I've been saying for the past god knows how long) I do know just adjust the sensitivity (simple eh?). If you want to hold your arm out - do so! But there's no actual NEED to, thats what I'm saying (as said in the 1UP and EDGE's hands-on) try reading!