NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The fish

Free RAM!!(if u have an HDD)

1TB-.JPG

http://atomchip.com/db4/00366/atomchip.com/_uimages/2TB.JPG

Only with this will Virtual memory become usefull. :grin:

I interviewed with Atom Computing about 6 mths ago. The product is very real. The laptop I got to play with runs a modified version of XP, is BLISTERINGLY fast (They claim 6.8 Ghz real), had 4 Tb of solid state memory (no HD at all), and boots in almost zero time. I didn't get to play with it a lot, but I was skeptical of the tech. Apparently each "bit" in the memory and processor holds one of 21 different states in operation, giving a 8x8x8 cube of "bits" (multiple layers) 10752 different decimal values, or 1344 bytes of information. The Processor uses these states for calculation in base 21. They told me about the solid state hard disks they planned on offering at CES, but they've upped the expected size of them sinee I chatted w/them. They talked about 1.5 Tb in something the size of the Thumbdrive I had with me (128 Mb). They showed me a prototype of a .5 Tb disk (with a special cable connector the thickness of a pencil, not USB).

Its called "Service Pack 2" ;)

Virtual memory isn't much use for someone like me and i find it pretty slow and cumbersome... but if you wanna use it go ahead. But it'll slowly eat into your HDD.

It seems to eat at your HD when using intensitive programs but when you reboot your computer you get back your HD space, I have a 160 gb HD so this doesn't really matter.

After I finished reading this thread my heart stopped for a few seconds. This is really hilarious. Praising MS Virtual Memory Management as a "feature" to replace physical RAM.

Example:

PC3200 DDR2 RAM

Access Time: ~5.0ns

Data Transfer: ~6.4GB/s (12.8 in DualChannel Mode)

Now compare that against a very expensive high quality HDD:

(2 x Samsung 80GB each, VIA 6421 Raid0 )

Access Time: ~22.5ns

Data Transfer: ~ 52.6MB/s (read)

And because it is a HDD it needs around 8% CPU time extra.

Now please never ever tell me that Virtual Memor equals physical RAM. Yes Virtual Memory is good and needed. The normal setting is about 2 times the RAM you have in your system. So if you have 512MB RAM you set the SWAP file to 1GB. Of course you can use 100GB too but that will not help you at all.

You need the SWAP file only if you have not enough RAM for software - the problem is that MS calls it virtual memory which is the wrong term for this kind of technique. The advantage you have if you set it to a given size is that Windows does not need to resize the file if there is not enough real memory available for a application.

There is something called a "RAMDISC" which transforms parts of your physical RAM into some sort of HDD - this really increases performance a lot but is really painfull to do and of course you lose RAM and since it is only temporary you lose the data if it is not saved on a real HDD.

Short version:

HDD instead of RAM = nearly no performance gain

RAM instead of HDD = temporarily boosts performance

After I finished reading this thread my heart stopped for a few seconds. This is really hilarious. Praising MS Virtual Memory Management as a "feature" to replace physical RAM.

Example:

PC3200 DDR2 RAM

I know im being pedantic here but PC 3200 is just standard DDR and not availible in DDR2 is it?I just thought id point his out before that guy uses it to try and play down you knowlegde.

DDR2-400 PC2-3200 100 MHz 200 MHz 400 MHz 3,2 GB/s 6,4 GB/s

DDR2 RAM starts with PC2 3200 and goes up to 6400 if I remember correct. There is PC3200 DDR RAM and DDR2 RAM as far as I know - but I might be wrong.

FFS, guys, all I was trying to do was get people a bit of extra RAM if they were having problems playing games etc.

I never intended to get a massive discussion about it started.

I know its not quite as good as normal RAM, but its FREE (thats the important bit).

If you want your RAM to be super fast then go out and buy some. I'm just trying to help the people who don't have bottomless pockets.

Virtual memory doesn't help in games at all because it's way too slow. Virtual memory is usually 200 times as slow as normal RAM. You can never run CoD 2, FEAR, BF 2 or whatever nicely on less than 256 MB RAM no matter how much virtual memory you add. The only solution is extra actual RAM, virtual memory is not the solution you try to make it seem.

Virtual memory is not free ram, virtual memory simply simulates additional RAM using your hard drive.

Adding more memory to a computer system increases its performance (in most cases quite dramatically). If there isn't enough room in memory for all the information the CPU needs, the computer has to set up what's known as a virtual memory file. In so doing, the CPU reserves space on the hard disk to simulate additional RAM. This process, referred to as "swapping", slows the system down. In an average computer, it takes the CPU approximately 200ns (nanoseconds) to access RAM compared to 12,000,000ns to access the hard drive. To put this into perspective, this is equivalent to what's normally a 3 1/2 minute task taking 4 1/2 months to complete!

Virtual Memory is used when your PC needs to swap stuff from the RAM onto your HDD when you run out of space in the RAM. This is not good because it will cripple your PC's performance, even though it allows you to run more programs at once. If you find yourself running low on RAM often, and the PC is lagging due to swapping frequently, then it's time to buy more RAM. These days you need at least 1GB of RAM in order for things to run smoothly, and wth 2GB some people even decide to totally disable VM.

Virtual Memory is used when your PC needs to swap stuff from the RAM onto your HDD when you run out of space in the RAM. This is not good because it will cripple your PC's performance, even though it allows you to run more programs at once. If you find yourself running low on RAM often, and the PC is lagging due to swapping frequently, then it's time to buy more RAM. These days you need at least 1GB of RAM in order for things to run smoothly, and wth 2GB some people even decide to totally disable VM.

You can get tools that will write all/some of the ram files to the "virtual disk" (if your low on space) and your computer will fall on its butt, takes a good 30 seconds to get moving again.

Virtual memory is useful, just not in that sort of terms. If you need more ram, you need more ram, there isnt too many ways of cheating it.

LOL do u guys know nothing vitual memory is very very very slightly slower than normal ram...no noticable difference. It's still free ram u morons

WHOOPS, YOU'RE THE FUCKING MORON, DICKSWIPE! It's not "free RAM".

Virtual memory is not a new concept.

Tell you what, take out all your RAM and try and find a 16MB stick to replace it with, and purely use your precious virtual memory.

Oh, what's this? The system drops to its knees and runs at a crawl?

That's right kids, because accessing the hard drive is MUCH FUCKING SLOWER than accessing RAM!

PC3200 RAM is accessed at around 5 nanoseconds.

HDDs are accessed at around 10 milliseconds, which is 10,000,000 nanoseconds.

5ns vs 10000000ns?

Not much slower? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Flamebait tbh. Nobody's a moron, unless the moderators say so.

Sooo.... virtual memory for teh lose. :zzz:

Sign in to follow this