N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Lemme guess, you don't think Monty Python is all that great? Because it truly is the funniest thing ever made. There's pretty much no argument there.

Well, that's one thing we can agree on then. Monty Python is the pinnacle of all things comedy :bowdown:

Like I mentioned before, Superbad is funny, but it won't be as well remembered because the gross out moments aren't as good. Whether that's the right thing to judge a film on or not is debatable, but this is just a fact of life. People tend to remember films through their standout moments and not because of their dialogue.

Yeah, Van Damme and Tarantino, that's always a good way to make an argument: ridiculazing other people's statements. Grow the fuck up.

That comment was made to state that I wasn't trying to compare AP and RT's dialogue to that of Superbad. I never once mentioned that the pie humping scene was a highlight. I just said that it was the most memorable. I just meant that in 10 years time, more people will remember AP than Superbad. Simple fact. Don't get so worked up over it!!

American Pie isn't about dick jokes and toilet humour, it's about Guy Love. All the pie pounding and shitting at school in the wrong toilet are just a shrink-wrap for what the story is actually about, which is a group of friends who want to help each other lose their virginity and share one last sacrid moment together before the inevitable break-up college will provide to their group. That's why the film is popular, beause it speaks to people.

Read your own post. You can't compare the two. American Pie is about 3 generic idiots and a frustrated intllectual. Superbad is about 2 real people.

I just meant that in 10 years time, more people will remember AP than Superbad. Simple fact. Don't get so worked up over it!!

But they won't. I assure you. Superbad is much more memorable than American Pie.

Hmm... that's... erm... I... Ugh, right. :indeed:

Are you crazy??

My friendship group at high school was so like the group in American Pie it is untrue. Why is that so hard to believe? Does ever male teenager have to be like Mclovin and the lads? Cos that was a small section of my school

My friendship group at high school was so like the group in American Pie it is untrue. Why is that so hard to believe?

lol... so you're basically saying you and your friends were idiots?

(let's not forget that American Pie is supposed to be over-the-top, whilst the superbad duo was based on a true story)

That's pretty much what divides Superbad from American Pie, the Superbad characters are great. American Pie characters are awfull, except for Finch. And go figure, he's the least popular of the bunch.

(let's not forget that American Pie is supposed to be over-the-top, whilst the superbad duo was based on a true story)

That's pretty much what divides Superbad from American Pie, the Superbad characters are great. American Pie characters are awfull, except for Finch. And go figure, he's the least popular of the bunch.

Stop fighting Oxigen, they just have a different opinion to you that comes from different life experiences. I haven't seen Superbad and I don't like American Pie but these guys are free to like whatever horrible films they want.

But Marie should still come back :p

No im saying my friendship group was divided by the sporty kid, the quirky kid, the trouble maker, the quiet one and the kid in the shadow of his older brother.

The acts of the characters in the film are fabricated to appeal to a comedy audience, so of course the characters do stupid shit. Take that away and look at the human side of the film though and your see that the group in American Pie is fairly normal.

No im saying my friendship group was divided by the sporty kid, the quirky kid, the trouble maker, the quiet one and the kid in the shadow of his older brother.

The acts of the characters in the film are fabricated to appeal to a comedy audience, so of course the characters do stupid shit. Take that away and look at the human side of the film though and your see that the group in American Pie is fairly normal.

Oh fucking hell... it's not that they do stupid shit, it's that they're morons, when regarding their personality. They're so generically boring that they don't even begin to spark me up.

Oh fucking hell... it's not that they do stupid shit, it's that they're morons, when regarding their personality. They're so generically boring that they don't even begin to spark me up.

you are very single minded and cannot stretch your mind to even begin to realise I am talking in context to the character similarities outside of the film. But it's ok, keep at it buddie.

you are very single minded and cannot stretch your mind to even begin to realise I am talking in context to the character similarities outside of the film. But it's ok, keep at it buddie.

Yes, go that way, condescend me. That works. If you have something to say, say it, discuss it.

What makes me laugh is that you're looking for outter-movie context... in AMERICAN PIE. It was never supposed to be a character piece with any type of meaning, it's just a laugh-fest filled with idiots, and as I say, it works, it just will never reach the heights of a thought-driven gross-out masterpiece like Superbad. : peace:

So what you're saying is that it is a bad film but you like it because it has stuff in common with your life? That's fine but I think trying to suggest that the characters in the film aren't retarded morons is stretching it a bit...

I find it hard to enjoy a film that is essentially an overdeveloped fart joke anyway.

So what you're saying is that it is a bad film but you like it because it has stuff in common with your life? That's fine but I think trying to suggest that the characters in the film aren't retarded morons is stretching it a bit...

I find it hard to enjoy a film that is essentially an overdeveloped fart joke anyway.

Oh dear god, thank you.

No I am saying I can relate to the characters more then then I can to the characters of Superbad.

Everybody knows why American Pie was created and that is essentially a laugh fest with idiots. But it still has a human story at its core and however slight it is, I relate to it more then the mess of Superbad.

As you can probably tell, Superbad was average to me.

No I am saying I can relate to the characters more then then I can to the characters of Superbad.

Everybody knows why American Pie was created and that is essentially a laugh fest with idiots. But it still has a human story at its core and however slight it is, I relate to it more then the mess of Superbad.

As you can probably tell, Superbad was average to me.

What I can't understand is why you didn't like Superbad? Come on, let's get it straight, what put you off?

Yeah I guess if we are talking comparatively then thats fine for you. But "human story"? Again, stretching it. I think you can write the story in about 3 lines and not lose any detail. It's like saying that Robocop, although a brilliantly rubbish film, still at it's core is a very masterful piece of cinema.

Yeah I guess if we are talking comparatively then thats fine for you. But "human story"? Again, stretching it. I think you can write the story in about 3 lines and not lose any detail. It's like saying that Robocop, although a brilliantly rubbish film, still at it's core is a very masterful piece of cinema.

Actually, Robocop is a very insightfull manifesto against fascism. Much like Starship Troopers. :heh: