NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DiemetriX

Reggie on Dev-kits

Read it on IGN:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/690/690730p1.html

Discuss it here :)

My favoruit quote

Asked whether or not Revolution's horsepower was insufficient, one development source said no. "At first, we were discouraged that it would be less powerful than Xbox 360, but once we got everything working with the controller, our concerns faded," he explained.[/Quote]

My less favorite quote:

"Software houses tell IGN that any studio familiar with GameCube's architecture will find that they can get their Revolution projects up and running in no time. The make-up of the systems is very similar, although Revolution will be roughly twice as powerful."

Still, twice the cube satisfies me :)

Hehe, very postive news, it says almost everything I wanted to ear.

While the fundamentals of the innovative new controller can be experienced with the barebones development hardware available to most developers, the majority of kits out there are hardly representative of the final Revolution system.

So this says that all that talk about revolution's power, after ign's new a couple of months ago, was all bullshit.

Very pleased to hear this! Sounds like this is really going to be an awesome experience!

good to hear, if development techies arent concerned about the power, the average consumer shouldnt be. im genuinely glad Nintendo took this route because my monthly bills make it near impossible to afford a PS3 and its games, although im definately interested in it. All Nintendo needs now is some hefty RPG support, some sexy retail packaging, and street fighter 4 (would be nice).

Wow I like this one

Studios tell IGN that Revolution SDKs sell for about $2,000, which is thousands of dollars cheaper than a PSP SDK, let alone an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 one.

PS2 SDK costs a massive $20,000 (I believe)

Game count should be pretty good this time round :)

Would be fun (allthough unrealistic) if the Revo turned out to be more powerful (in polys on screen simultaneously and texture numbers).

I mean, half the games on PS3 promise framerates of 60-90 fps, and high definition. If the Revo will run on regular definition and 30 fps (more than enough, if you ask me), it could perhaps beat the 360!

Wow, how is the SDK priced so low? Im expecting overwhelming developer support this time round. The Revolution is just too good to miss out on. If developers believe that its so called lack of raw power doesnt matter then the console should be ultra efficient.

Sounds like good news and to be honest 2 times the power is enough for me if this means there is an improvement in general processing power for AI, physics aswell. Graphics don't matter as much to me as gameplay relevant issues.

2000$ is insanely cheap for a development kit and I really hope that developers will carry this price advantage to the consumer aswell. Furthermore that thread on the IGN forums is even better and shows that Nintendo is on the right way. At least it seems it is.

Nice to hear honest positives comments from developers and not just PR talk like "we are very excited about what could be possible with the Revolution..."

Now I'm a bit more hyped up again, especially when a developer stated that graphics don't matter and I'm quite excited how the graphics will look compared to the other two, after all it's a big difference in size.

both of those news sources sound like they have delivered incredible stuff! just over seventy days to go folks until we find out from the big N themselves! that's just seven pay packets away... (trying to think of anything that makes the time between now and may 9th seem shorter!!)

These aren't the final SDK that's why they're cheaper.. I don't read IGN articles being ignorant but their coverage of Revolution has been pretty piss poor I don't think they're worth my movements required to click.

These aren't the final SDK that's why they're cheaper.. I don't read IGN articles being ignorant but their coverage of Revolution has been pretty piss poor I don't think they're worth my movements required to click.

HaHa I agree with you to a degree. Also even Big Tac said that some Revolution games look better than some of the XBOX 360 games out. :laughing:

: peace:

The only problem is that the 360 has still a lot of reserve power currently unused. So far developers are not used to really optimize code for 3 cores - so in a few years we can really compare games concerning graphics.

Good for him.

Pity I don't believe his words.

I find it hard to beleive that with 360's HD only standard of games.. with a HD TV can look better than a Revolution

As far as design is concerned he can form whatever opinion he wants.

The only problem is that the 360 has still a lot of reserve power currently unused. So far developers are not used to really optimize code for 3 cores - so in a few years we can really compare games concerning graphics.

Of course they will get used it more, and use more of the machine, but will companys ever use all the power of a xbox360 or ps3, it would cost so much money to make games that use ALL the power, meaning no one would be able to offered them.

HaHa I agree with you to a degree. Also even Big Tac said that some Revolution games look better than some of the XBOX 360 games out. :laughing:

Just too make sure you understand. I made that comparison based on looking on a normal T.V.

afford?

and yeah the most expensive movies cost much more than current games cost to produce, we can't go around saying shit like that really.

we don't know the next generation market until the first 3 month 'rape the early adopter of the tech' period is over.

i'll read economist's analysis of the game market in 2007.

Just too make sure you understand. I made that comparison based on looking on a normal T.V.

Yes that part is integral but I assumed that it was obvious

I don't see what is so far fetched about some Revolution games looking better than some XBOX 360 games.(On a normal TV Of course) I think many people will be surprised(WOWED this E3.

"At first, we were discouraged that it would be less powerful than Xbox 360, but once we got everything working with the controller, our concerns faded," he explained.

I don't read this as the Revolution's graphics will be as good as Xbox360'. Just that i dosn't really matter, when you have the controller.

I don't read this as the Revolution's graphics will be as good as Xbox360'. Just that i dosn't really matter, when you have the controller.

Me neither :) But I still liked to hear it :)

Wow, how is the SDK priced so low?...

I would guess it is cheaper due to:

1. It has been stated that the revo and gamecube share a common programming style already (revo dev can be started on cube kits) thus the SDK is probably a simple (or complex) retooling of the cube kit. Cheaper than making a new kit all together.

2. Nintendo wants to regain developer confidence so they market their SDK really cheap to get more back on board.

3. As a push to become the standard development platform (a place the ps2 held this gen) they want to make the SDK cheap and easy to use ensuring all multi system games start on the revo and thus look the same on all platforms.

Maybe more but those are the biggies as to why I think the SDK is gonna be cheap :)

Plus they are trying to promote the big idea not the big budget... smaller devs will be able to afford more than one of these.

Sign in to follow this