NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shoe

Command and Conquer and such?

Do you think the Revolution will have war games like that?

Maybe a new Battalion wars?

I'm obsessed with C & C Zero Hour and the Revo seems to have the right controls for these

It's possible there'll be Real Time Strategies on it, but I doubt Command and Conquer specifically. There's been no word about a next game in the series in an eternity, they said Red Alert 3 was under way but nothing's been shown at all.

yea true. RA3 was announced like... summer last year or somat but no updates on it. but then again EA fucking the C & C series up. RA2 and Tiberium Sun ALL THE WAY. and renegade was superb!!!!

They'll probably have some C&C type game, but tbh, i won;t be getting it. They bore me to death, i prefer more action in games to sitting there waiting for all your characters to move to the village or w/e

I think there was a real screenshot of the sequel to Tiberian Sun about a year ago. At least a lot of sites reported it as real, so they are working on something.

I'm not sure however if developers will embrace the new controls for RTS although they are very suitable but the DS would also be suitable for RTS yet there are only a few.

I hope they make a new Battalion Wars with co-op an such. The controller would be perfect and IGN interviewed Kuju and they said that they wanted to include a lot more but didn't have enough time. So I think a revolution sequel is very probable.

The resolution might be too low for that (RTS needs detail) but it's very possible it's going to happen.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting some decent RTS'. The controller is perfect for them. AOE is being made for the DS at the moment, maybe they can make one for the Revo too.

IGN like the idea!

Strategy Games

Popular Examples: Starcraft, Pikmin, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem

How it might work: While real-time strategy games currently only rule in the PC realm, Nintendo is actually one of the few companies experimenting with more action-focused off-shoots in the console arena. While Fire Emblem and Advance Wars take things slowly and let players think between turns, games like Pikmin and Battalion Wars require both brain and brawn. Nintendo and Kuju came up with some great control solutions to make these games work with the GameCube controller, but orchestrating offensives with multiple groups of characters can be difficult. What's missing is a quick way to select units and send them into battle with pinpoint accuracy. "No, don't attack the flamethrower, you blue idiots! Run! Run!" What's missing is a mouse.

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064636074.jpg

This is where once again Nintendo's pointer concept could shine. In Pikmin, players would be able to walk around with the left analog controller and go about their business as Olimar and friends -- but once squad command comes into play, the right hand could do all the work. Players could pick single Pikmin by pointing at them and pressing a button, select multiple ones by clicking and dragging a selection box around them, and -- most fun of all -- throw them at enemies by flicking the pointer in the right direction while holding down a different button.

Likewise, a console real-time strategy game in the Starcraft mold would greatly benefit from the mouse-like selection and control abilities the pointer provides. A mini-map could allow for quick access of far apart areas, essentially duplicating the exact controls of the PC originals. If the D-Pad doesn't provide enough shortcut key possibilities, the expandable plug-in design of the Revolution controller could even provide for a backlit 10-key unit. And what about turn-based strategy? Again, the pointer's quick-move and pick-and-grab functionality could really be used for great benefit here. Grabbing units and then moving them to the desired place would feel much more natural with the pointing device.

hmm, although the controller is good for pointing and such. I'm not quite sure how entertaining it could be during an RTS...

we'll have to wait and see

I'm sure there will be a Batallion Wars for the Rev. I expect they might make an Advance Wars for it, but it would be cooler if they made a real time one....A 3rd type of game in the Wars series ;)

I like to see it combined with a microphone or something - that way you can point and click and give direct commands. How's that for making games playable for everyone?

The resolution might be too low for that (RTS needs detail) but it's very possible it's going to happen.

have you heard of starcraft 64?

That graphics level is not what you're expecting from the Rev, right? Blizzard were asked for a WC3 port and Rick Goodman (Empire Earth, Empires: DotM) were asked about RTS for consoles and they said they were interested but that the resolution was too low to make it work well. Back in the N64 days it was doable, but nowadays RTS games are too detailed for 480p.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but it's not going to be the same as on the PC.

A command conquer game would rock. But the I still prefer the mouse. With that you feel like its in the game - you can see where it is exactly in its 2d enviorment. The revo controller is essentially a 3d mouse and depending on where your holding the controller and in what direction your tropps move.

I dunno... maybe i'm just rambling but I can't see c&c being that brilliant on the revo. Age of Empires would appeal to me more... I don't know why :S

Black and White will blates make a game.

I e.mailed the people from Cyan responsible for the Myst series which is coming to an end soon.

We heard that myst would be out for the PSP thanks to Sega publishing i think.. I suggested to them working on the Revolution it would be a relatively easy port series.

They said they would seriously look into it but the financial viability of it scares them.. being the second most popular computer game ever second only to the sims (which i don't class as a video game) it's hard to tell whether it would sell or whether they market is saturated.

Sign in to follow this