Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Why the hell do we alway do this? Play like this from the start!

England is a high school student who can't find the drive to do their homework until the morning of

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Extra time. Great....😑

If Netherlands v Turkey goes to extra time later the temptation to sack off the rest of these Euros will be at an all-time high :laughing:

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

If Netherlands v Turkey goes to extra time later the temptation to sack off the rest of these Euros will be at an all-time high :laughing:

Has that happened before? All the games gone to extra time.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Has that happened before? All the games gone to extra time.

At the quarter-final stage? Not that I can remember in my lifetime, either at the Euros or at a World Cup. 

I'll check at half-time though, because I remember the 2008 Euros QFs all seeming to go on very long

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

At the quarter-final stage? Not that I can remember in my lifetime, either at the Euros or at a World Cup. 

I'll check at half-time though, because I remember the 2008 Euros QFs all seeming to go on very long

@Hero-of-Time from what I can find, since 1998 (couldn't be bothered checking any earlier) 2008 Euros were the closest – three of the four quarter finals went to extra time. 

Croatia v Turkey (1-1 AET, 1-3 on pens)

Netherlands v Russia (1-1, 1-3 AET)

Spain v Italy (0-0 AET, 4-2 on pens)

The only one of those QFs to not go to extra time? Portugal v Germany, which Germany won 3-2. And that was the first of the QF ties! Meaning, in 2008, we had to sit through three consecutive QFs going to ET like we have at this Euros :nono:

• Thanks 1

I’m glad Shaw finally got some minutes. I think that should be the end of Trippier starting now. Shaw must’ve made more overlapping runs in about 45 mins than Trippier did in 4 1/2 games!

Oh, and that was from left CB as well, he wasn’t even the wingback. 

Posted (edited)

England win on penalties? But that’s impossible!!

Jammy doesn’t even begin to describe how ridiculously lucky England has been throughout this tourney.

Utterly undeserved, but hey! Semis are semis at the end of the day.

Edited by Dcubed

As said, excellent pens. 

Can't help but feel that the performance is being oversold by the pundits, though, just because we're through. This match was very 50/50, and while maybe our best performance at this tournament overall, it's still a far cry from where we really need to be. Thankfully for us, though, the only team left in who is actually firing on more than two cylinders is Spain – we might be able to get away with more meagre performances depending on who we face from this point on. Which, I'll admit, just really sucks. 

Just under 10 until the next match kicks off to decide who we face in the second of the semis on Wednesday, then. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Can't help but feel that the performance is being oversold by the pundits, though, just because we're through. 

Yeah, it covers up the cracks of our overall performance. We need to do better but as long as we keep getting results things aren't going to change.

6 minutes ago, Eddage said:

I’m glad Shaw finally got some minutes. I think that should be the end of Trippier starting now. Shaw must’ve made more overlapping runs in about 45 mins than Trippier did in 4 1/2 games!

Oh, and that was from left CB as well, he wasn’t even the wingback. 

I was dubious when he was subbed on but he was fantastic. Totally agree that Tripper should be done now, providing that Shaw can play a full match.