Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably wouldn't be as knackered as well. :D

Right?

Having Ronaldo come on with 30+ left strikes fear into the opposition, he can be fresh both physically and mentally (as we saw isn't so much the case after his emotional outcry last time out), much more likely to score if they were to do that too I think. 

But it's Martinez. He's a tinkerer, but there's a reason he won nothing of substance with Belgium. 

Also, really harsh yellow for Palhinha. Referring today has been all over the place. And those refs? Anthony Taylor and Michael Oliver, of course :blank:

Ran out of insults in English to use to describe the scum that is Anthony Taylor and Michael Oliver, so decided to look up some insults in other languages. Obviously, German, to keep it topical. 

Think my favourite is bananenbieger – Someone who’s engaged in a pointless task, who can’t concentrate, or has no direction in life can be called a bananenbieger, or “banana bender.”

Seems very accurate for these refs :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That yellow for Paulinha is made even worse by the fact that he’ll now miss the semi if Portugal go through.

How has there not been a change to the appeals process meaning yellow cards like this can be overturned? A player of his importance could literally be the difference between losing a semi or getting through to the final!

Posted (edited)

There were chances at least, but good lord, extra time AGAIN?! Not going to be in the mood for tomorrow's England match at this rate :laughing:

Anywho...needed to pass the time, so

Ronaldo when Portugal get a free kick:

started-blasting-gun.gif

Ronaldo to his teammates when they don't find him:

homelander-the.gif

Ronaldo to every Portuguese person in a 20 mile radius when there's a chance at a free kick:

main-qimg-f3fd86926b71ec17a1a9514b88ee8c

3 minutes ago, Eddage said:

How has there not been a change to the appeals process meaning yellow cards like this can be overturned? A player of his importance could literally be the difference between losing a semi or getting through to the final!

That would mean the referees and UEFA acknowledging that they made mistakes. 

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

(I totally agree though)

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mbappé off is strange, especially with pens coming up, though he's got a broken nose so it's a weird one. He's clearly been in a lot of pain in the matches he's been wearing the mask and picking up knocks to the face. 

Also, I know he was brilliant at them at the World Cup in 2022, but he missed the deciding pen for France at Euro 2020/21 in the R16 if I'm remembering right. So I do wonder if there's a little bit of that at play ::shrug:

Weird for someone at his level to seemingly ask to come off with 15 to go to pens. Really weird. 

Edited by Julius

Longest feeling round of extra time I've ever witnessed. Swear it said 28 minutes elapsed, I look away and look back, and we're back down to 24. WHY. 

Don't care who goes through at this point, because I'll want Spain to smash them regardless. 

Poor João, but you just knew with his run-up what was about to happen. Can't help but think Ronaldo screwed his team a bit by seemingly choosing for them to go second. 

Some great pens on display though, Mendes in particular to blast it top right was wonderful. 

Welp. So that's it :( A mostly boring game where we, admittedly, played as well as we could.

It's weird to go out with so little drama. Barely a whimper.

On the brighter side, with Ronaldo's upcoming retirement, maybe this team will finally evolve into something new.

Kicked the ball out in all of 6 seconds :laughing:

Anyways, just looking at the lineups and thinking back to yesterday, these accumulated yellows should really be getting wiped after the Round of 16. Mental how many starting XI players are going to be/risk missing the semis. 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Kicked the ball out in all of 6 seconds :laughing:

Anyways, just looking at the lineups and thinking back to yesterday, these accumulated yellows should really be getting wiped after the Round of 16. Mental how many starting XI players are going to be/risk missing the semis. 

Could be a good thing. If we do somehow win and players get yellows, Gareth will be forced to finally change the team.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Could be a good thing. If we do somehow win and players get yellows, Gareth will be forced to finally change the team.

I was honestly thinking more just in terms of the quality of the competition. These quarters have been pretty naff to be honest, and with a good few players missing the semis through suspension already, I can't see them being the step up that they really ought to be. 

As for England - Gareth will still find a way to not start Trent :p

Takes us 15 passes to get from one side of the pitch to the other – horizontally, not vertically. 

It has been fine so far, but fine doesn't win matches. Really reminding me of Spain after they dropped off around a decade ago with having loads of possession but lacking that directness which scores goals...you know, the way you win a match? ::shrug: