NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Monster Hunter Wilds (2025)

@Hero-of-Time go on and get in here, this thread's for you :laughing:

The next generation in the genre-defining series. 

More details to come in Summer 2024, but for now, a word from Series Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto:

Currently announced for PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC...all with Switch 2 details and potential compatibility pending, of course :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Julius said:

all with Switch 2 details and potential compatibility pending, of course :p

Keep it away from Switch 2 at all costs.
It needs to be built around absolute power :p

The trailer was super boring, but NEW MONSTER HUNTER!

2025 :(

44 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Keep it away from Switch 2 at all costs.
It needs to be built around absolute power :p

Dude. Not cool.

Based on the logo and the open world looking landscape, it seems to be billing itself around Monster Hunter World's gameplay; rather than Rise's...

Will be a hard pass if that's the case, as I did not like World at all, but at least it seems that Palamutes (or at least the new flying Griffen replacement for them) are here to stay for the series proper though :)

I also would suspect that Sony have paid for it to not be made available for Switch 2 as well, given that they seem to have paid for the marketing rights to Wilds (and that they pulled this exact stunt with World before), so don't hold your breath for a Nintendo console version...

... at least it'll finally stop the mouthbreathing fanboys from screaming for Capcom to announce "Monster Hunter 6" already (Wilds is actually MH7).

Edited by Dcubed

I was there day 1 for its Western release and it became one of my favourite ever gaming franchises.

So many good memories from playing the game online back on the PS2. The servers were split and so it was just a small group of Europeans playing, so much so that you would always run into the same people time and time again. This built up some pretty solid friendships which in turn made for some great hunts. The way hunting online works in the newer games is far faster but it lost that community feel and became more impersonal.

Crazy to see just how far the series has come from those humble beginnings. :heart:

• Like 1

Seems to be fully open-world, if you can believe a leaker:

qo3yjyr.jpeg

H-o-T in shambles.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Info is from Dusk Golem who is usually on the money when it comes to Capcom stuff. It's Monster Hunter and so I'll still buy it regardless, doesn't mean I'm happy about it though. :(

For me an open world is exactly the type of world I would want for a Monster Hunter game.

Well, that's an easy pass for me, if true. I already think Worlds' maps are too large.

37 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Seems to be fully open-world, if you can believe a leaker:

qo3yjyr.jpeg

H-o-T in shambles.

Makes complete sense to me, and I thought the TGAs trailer pretty heavily implied that would be the case, what between the title, showing one massive flat open area (a staple of all open worlds :laughing:), and especially with the different ways your mount would interact with the environment. It's the only way I really think you could go "bigger and better" than World from a more objective technical and marketing POV (but not necessarily from an actual quality POV, jury's out on that I guess), I don't think you could make those zones much bigger without it being a bit confused about what it wants to be. I do think it's the right move for Capcom after World purely because of how big that game got sales-wise, but if that wasn't the runaway surprise success that it was, then I would think this sort of move would be super risky.

Still, though, sucks for those that aren't fans of open worlds in their games if it's not handled the right way (will always struggle to understand the "all open worlds are bad" tribe though). I do think that there's a way to do it right here in the same way that I think there is a way to make a great open world Pokémon game, but ultimately the quality level it reaches relies on Capcom, as there's some great potential hunts to evolve between biomes, new environmental hazards turning up and phases, like imagine chasing a critter into one biome vs another and them adapting to that biome in a way that is unique, would add tremendous replayability. I will say I think it's going to be easier for them to plug more MTXs and the like into an open world vs with zones, though.

Curious about how an eventual DLC works if it's going to be open world, though, is it just going to be an alternative open world, a massive zone accessed through a menu, or haphazardly taped onto this one? 

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

will always struggle to understand the "all open worlds are bad" tribe though

Hey! Don't lump me in with that.

Lil Gator Game is great!

...That's all I've got. They're generally big for the sake of being big, and get rid of more intricate level design to do so.

Also, my favourite series are slowly morphing into one big blob of empty fields, and it's depressing.

• Haha 1

Can’t wait to spend hours running around giant fields of nothing in order to find the boss battles in my Monster Hunter!

Sign in to follow this