N-Europe

Visions of Mana (29th August 2024)

Julius

I am SO in! :D

• Producer: Masaru Oyamada (Secret of Mana 2018, Trials of Mana 2020, Legend of Mana 2021 and more)
  • Sound: Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana 1993, Trials of Mana 1995, Trials of Mana 2020 and more), Tsuyoshi Sekito (Secret of Mana 2018, Trials of Mana 2020, Echoes of Mana and more), Ryo Yamazaki (Trials of Mana 2020, Echoes of Mana)
  • Character Design: HACCAN (Adventures of Mana, Secret of Mana 2018, Trials of Mana 2020)
  • Monster illustrations: Airi Yoshioka (Dawn of Mana, Children of Mana, Heroes of Mana)
  • Series monster design supervision: Koichi Ishii (GREZZO Co., Ltd.)

Hiroki Kikuta back for the soundtrack!? Say no more!
Very interesting that they got Koichi Ishii back as well, if only in a supervisory role.  Grezzo have been awfully quiet since they released the Miitopia HD remake in 2021...

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Getting Tales vibes from this, which please me greatly.

Were the previous Mana games real/turn combat? because this looks more real time, and I thought they were turn based

The Mana games are all real-time (with a pause when accessing your menu), and are more similar to Zelda than Tales of when it comes to combat and traversal gameplay.

• 1 month later...

For a nearly 7 minute video, that had dramatically less "gameplay reveal" than I was expecting. But I loved that dudes leather jacket.

One thing about the music "transition" going from field into battle (the 4.50 mark), maybe it was too subtle for me to register, but from what I could tell, it added a bit of a army marching drum and the violins(?) got a little louder, but the transition was so slow he'd already defeated one monster before the music noticeably changed?

I got vibes of coming close to your first Deku Baba and that sinister music sneaking in, was perfect. Or for a more immediate transition, have both tracks playing at the same time and shift the volume - which I understand is how they smoothly went between land/water moments in Banjo Kazooie

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wild that this still only has 'Summer 2024' as a release window given that it's just a few months out, I wonder what's up with that? 

Per a Famitsu interview with Masaru Oyamada, this is being developed by NetEase's Sakurai Studio:

--Which company is in charge of the development of the game?

Oyamada: It is Netease's Sakura Studio

--I didn't know that. What made you decide to work with Sakura Studio this time?

Oyamada: The big deciding factor was the video and technical demo we had when we first did the R&D. We were still considering character designs when we were shown a 3D model of Reese (a character from "Seiken Densetsu 3") that looked just like HACCAN's character illustrations. I felt that we could incorporate new elements into the game, so I asked HACCAN to help us out.

So I guess S-E's plan to focus on more in-house development hasn't quite come into effect just yet :p

• Thanks 2

Odd choice of developer.  Would’ve figured it’d be Xeen, considering that they made the Trials of Mana remake (which Visions of Mana appears to be based on).

We’ll see though.

• 2 months later...

S-E continue to be weird, as they've put up a premiere for the launch rate trailer which will drop at 12:45 BST this Wednesday:

Very surprised this didn't turn up at Xbox or sneak in elsewhere (like SGF). Huh. Trying not to extrapolate that that's a bad sign, but...

Well the above trailer is now live -- and August 29th it is! 

So, that's only the day before Star Wars Outlaws, and a week out from Astro Bot and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. It's not quite a Dragon Quest XI with Spider-Man in 2018 situation...but it certainly does seem to be up against it. 

August is a pretty weird month to release games in in general, not much that gets released in that month tends to do all that well; which is why most publishers tend to wait until September…

Not sure that’s the best choice of date, but we’ll see.

• 1 month later...

Demo available now, with 3 weapons being unlocked in the full game as reward for checking it out:

A lot of demos dropping lately, and it seems like the smart time of year to do it.