NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Predicting The Last 2 MK8DX Characters

Hello, I'm bored, and possibly getting withdrawal from the Smash Ultimate prediction thread. So here's a little hit of that disappointing high, once again.

There's one more wave in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass, and 2 more characters still hidden behind question marks.
So let's guess who they are!

It's worth remembering that these mystery characters were advertised as coming from previous Mario Kart titles, so go ahead and predict Wart if you want, but do so in the knowledge that you're very likely shooting yourself in the foot.

And because I have far too much time on my hands, here's every character from other games that aren't in 8 DX yet.
Except the arcade Mario Kart games, no-one cares about those.

Donkey Kong Jr.

s-l1600.jpg

Appears in Super Mario Kart and Tour

Donkey Kong's dad, despite being younger then Donkey Kong whenever he actually shows up in a game. Eh, Baby Mario's in Mario Kart, anyway. That weird ship has proper sailed.
The most notable thing about DK Jr is that when he unexpectedly reappeared in Tour, he did so looking like the SNES sprite, probably the main reason people would like him to be in 8 Deluxe.
Well, it's my main reason, at least.

Koopa Paratroopa

Mario_KoopaTroopa_Red2_LG.jpg

Appears in Double Dash, almost appeared in Wii

One of only three characters that aren't in Tour. Basically brought in as a partner for Koopa Troopa for Double Dash. It was planned to be in Wii, but got cut for some reason.
It's a Koopa with wings, hardly the most cutting edge of character design here. And yet I prefer it to the green Koopa, red's just a nice aesthetic, I guess.

Diddy Kong

s-l1600.jpg

Appears in Double Dash, Wii, and Tour

Donkey Kong's nephew, don't think too much about the fact he's not a gorilla. Originally brought in to serve as DK's partner, he weirdly failed to show up in 8, and I'm not sure why.
Honestly, it's baffling. You'd think DKC Returns would've secured that position, but nope. Yeah, he came back for Tour, but so did everyone, that's not impressive.

R.O.B.

ROBr.jpg

Appears in DS

Mario Kart's first ever non-Mario character! Truly ahead of it's time, despite being from the 80's. And yet, when 8 Deluxe shoved in Zelda and Animal Crossing stuff, R.O.B. was nowhere to be seen.
Also, doesn't show up in Tour. I mean, it's not all bad, I guess, it's been in 3 Smash entries now. Who needs Mario Kart, anyway?

Funky Kong

s-l1600.jpg

Appears in Wii and Tour

There's two things that playing Mario Kart Wii online eventually made me despise. One of them was Coconut Mall, the other was this gurning idiot.
Funky Kong is the reason why you don't give characters unique stat boosts, because then one of them inevitably becomes better then all the others, which means in a game with 25 characters, you only ever see 1!
If I never have to hear those voice clips again, it would be far too soon!

Honey Queen

jumbo_honey_queen_plushie_by_madamewario_d9bcj14-400t.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.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.y_LClsQ0qkx89atxYS0Qf2hbHKRgMlYG4cA26NkFDsk

Appears in 7

Yes, that's the best plushie I could find. There's no official one. Which goes to show just how much demand there wasn't for it. But in the most misguided attempt at nailing the zeitgeist of Mario fans, Waluigi and Diddy was dropped for this. It certainly wasn't the second Rosalina, and the fact she hasn't shown up in Tour yet speaks volumes.

Anyway, for the sake of my sanity, I'm gonna ignore the stupid amount of costumes that Tour has for loads of characters. If you really think the likes of Gold Dry Bowser has a shot here, then I can't help you.

Hammer Bro

715jm7KNWGL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Appears in Tour, almost appeared in Wii

Everyone's favourite most hated enemy is no stranger to being playable in Mario spin-offs. Baseball, parties, football, etc.
Low-key, I'd be fine with Hammer Bro in 8 Deluxe, it's always been my favourite Koopa minion. I also dig the voice.

Monty Mole

81Ne6eAXfgL.jpg

Appears in Tour

I guess Super Mario Party was too traumatic for our poor half-blind rodent here. It's why he didn't come back for MP Superstars, you know?
I'm not sure Mario Kart was the best choice though, but you do you.

Pauline

s-l500.jpg

Appears in Tour

Isn't she a mayor!? What the hell is she doing driving go-karts with turtles and apes!? Do your job, damnit!
Honestly, I'm amazed she's not one of the characters that the Booster Course Pass has already added.

Captain Toad

718eO82bfJL.jpg

Appears in Tour

What? How dare you!? Captain Toad is not just a Toad in an explorers outfit, he can't jump! You take that back and give him some damn respect!
I swear, some people...

Poochy

nintendo-poochy.gif

Appears in Tour

Hey, remember when Wave 4 included a Yoshi's Island course, and gave us Birdo as a playable character?
And then 2 weeks later, Tour got Poochy.
Why the flying fudge did we get lumped with Birdo!? No-one wants Birdo, when Poochy is right there!
I'm still angry about this!

King Boo

il_fullxfull.4962860986_sovc.jpg

Appears in Tour

Hmm? King Boo is already in 8 Deluxe? Nah, mate. That King Boo is from Mario 64 DS. This one is the actual King Boo from Luigi's Mansion.
Totally different character, trust me, I'm a bit of a Boo aficionado.

Dixie Kong

61af63594ccbc7eb81420acaaa3ce58c.jpg

Appears in Tour

Diddy's girlfriend. She's only in Tour because of Tropical Freeze, let's face it.
No, actually, she's in it to fuel the gacha money machine.
Then again, so is everyone in Tour... Now I'm sad...

Nabbit

71hGVC3iLiL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Appears in Tour

Everyone's second favourite purple Nintendo rabbit! He got nerfed after New Super Luigi U, he's no longer invincible in Mario Kart. So what's even the point?

King Bob-omb

s-l400.jpg

Appears in Tour

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is King Bob-omb the first case of a Mario enemy getting a crown slapped on it and treating it like a completely different character? I think it might be.
That's not relevant to Mario Kart, mind, but what else can I say about a Bob-omb with twice the limbs?
Nice moustache, though.

Chargin' Chuck

il_fullxfull.3661050230_8cg0.jpg

Appears in Tour

No official plushie for this guy, way more custom made ones, though. Honey Queen still the least popular Mario Karter, I'm afraid.
This guy's had a bit of a resurgence in recent times. Thanks, 3D World!

And that's it! So go on, which two of these numpties do you think will get in?

My heart wants R.O.B. and Poochy, but my head says to predict Pauline and Diddy Kong.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 4

After much thought (well... a few moments) I predict... Pauline and Poochy.

Pauline has been more popular since Super Mario Odyssey, and Poochy... well... it's Poochy!

If I could choose from any non-Mario characters to add to the roster, then I'd choose... Mach Rider and Rick the Hamster.

Also, if we were to have any Mole character in Mario Kart, it should really be Muddy Mole from Mole Mania.

I mean... the dream would be some surprise reveal of the ultimate crossover yet again, which would be Banjo & Kazooie complete with a Spiral Mountain track, or even a Donkey Kong Country track from the original games, to go with Diddy Kong if he gets in, but they might as well save anything like that for either a new game or... a whole new set of tracks, but then things would get a bit out of hand if you were to have three sets of 48 tracks to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. R.O.B and Poochie. This is the only right choice. 
We’ll probably end up getting Baby Toad and Baby Paulina 😂 

• Like 1

I think Diddy and Pauline are the safest bets.

But ofcourse it should be Wart, everybody agrees with that. Even if they don’t. 

From your list I’d be happy with most of these. Just a bit less happy with Pauline, Dixie, Funky, Captain Toad, Paratroopa, Hammer Bro and Luigi’s Mansion King Boo (the Double Dash King Boo is better!)

Edited by markderoos
  • Thanks 1

Oh balls! I forgot Chargin' Chuck!

There's too much crap in Tour, I swear!

19 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh balls! I forgot Chargin' Chuck!

There's too much crap in Tour, I swear!

And Dry Bowser is already playable right?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

And Dry Bowser is already playable right?

OK, that one is inexcusable. How did I miss that!?

I've not played tour so didn't know there were so many left to potentially choose from! I'd be all for Captain Toad...

Random thought, Olimar, to get in after that Pikmin 4 hype has died down

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

OK, that one is inexcusable. How did I miss that!?

Glen miss something? That’s impossible, he never misses anything like that there is a Wedding Amiibo Mario that was in a three pack with Peach and Bowser for a Smash theme night 😝 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't particularly care for Mario Kart, but...

On 15/07/2023 at 12:22 AM, S.C.G said:

Also, if we were to have any Mole character in Mario Kart, it should really be Muddy Mole from Mole Mania.

...I like this! :yay:

• Thanks 1

A shout out to tracking down soft toy images of those remaining characters @Glen-i 😂. Great job!

The Mario Kart reveals haven’t been as left-field as Smash Bros, so I’m going to plump for, sadly probably one of the more predictable outcomes, Diddy Kong and Pauline.

Edited by WackerJr
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:05 AM, Glen-i said:

Hello, I'm bored, Pauline

s-l500.jpg

Appears in Tour

Isn't she a mayor!? What the hell is she doing driving go-karts with turtles and apes!? Do your job, damnit!
Honestly, I'm amazed she's not one of the characters that the Booster Course Pass has already added.

Well we already have 4 Princesses with Peach (inc metal form and cat form) and Daisy, 6 if you include their baby forms, 8 if you consider Rosalina a princess.

1 King Koopa (2 if you include Dry Bowser)... Koopa kids if you consider them royal too...

1 King Boo...

What's a mayor between royals neglecting their duties?

3 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

What's a mayor between royals neglecting their duties?

Oh please, royalty is about as relevant for state affairs as I am.

Just because he isn't in Smash Bros, I'm counting on a Waluigi variant.

Edited by MindFreak

Maybe they'll surprise everyone and have that nightmare-fuel horse man mascot from Everybody 1-2 Switch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Waddaya mean? Those countries don't state visit themselves*, this is probably why the kingdoms are in such a disarray, instead of proper diplomatic relations they're busy playing go karts and tennis n' shit. Even if one of the rulers is one horny dinosaur, everyone should put some effort in.

*although they do

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ashley said:

Maybe they'll surprise everyone and have that nightmare-fuel horse man mascot from Everybody 1-2 Switch. 

Please, just….. no! 😂 

• Haha 1

Assuming she was mayor during the events of Super Mario Odyssey, her mayoral term is probably up. Maybe she didn't run for a second term, or perhaps she lost to a different candidate.

17 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Please, just….. no! 😂 

They're gonna make an alternative Master Cycle with that horse head on instead...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bob said:

Assuming she was mayor during the events of Super Mario Odyssey, her mayoral term is probably up. Maybe she didn't run for a second term, or perhaps she lost to a different candidate.

I always assumed the Mario universe had an elastic timeline like The Simpsons

Sign in to follow this