NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario RPG (for Switch! - 17th November 2023)

Mmmmmmm art pizza 

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

(This being at the start of a new page works well)

• Haha 3

I see the game has leaked online. I know its a SNES remaster but there could be new/secret stuff thats been added so watch out for potential spoilers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see the game has leaked online. I know its a SNES remaster but there could be new/secret stuff thats been added so watch out for potential spoilers.

This is one game I will be checking footage and trying (hopelessly) to find reviews that aren't nostalgia-driven for before any eventual purchase of mine goes through. I feel like it's buyer's regret waiting to happen, this one.

Shame about the spotty performance in certain places... but aside from a few rare bouts of slowdown, it looks very solid.

Very pleased about the image quality and the very fast loading times (the latter usually being a problem point for Unity games).

Edited by Dcubed

Watched the Performance Analysis portion. I would like to hear someone that can't stand that after one level (just one!) of online multiplayer in Mario Maker 2.

Picked up my copy of the game this morning. I've only ever played the original the once and that was back when it released on the Virtual Console. I remember thinking it was quite average. We'll see how I fare this time around.

Also changed my Switch profile pic to celebrate the release. :D

F_IITp1XEAAJzVP?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

The music gets more bombastic as you chain action commands.

That's very cool!

Geno's still gonna be overrated and resource wasteful, though. (Especially with Mario's Jump working like it does in the original game) Mallow's more useful.

Edited by Glen-i

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The music gets more bombastic as you chain action commands.

That's very cool!

Geno's still gonna be overrated and resource wasteful, though. (Especially with Mario's Jump working like it does in the original game) Mallow's more useful.

Let's be honest, it doesn't really matter who you use due to game being an absolute cakewalk.

48 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Let's be honest, it doesn't really matter who you use due to game being an absolute cakewalk.

Probably wanna use Peach near the endgame though. Especially with the item rework this game has.

When I first got there, he wasn't there, so I got really worried that chest was still missable forever.

Still did it the old fashioned way.

I have three stars now.

Spoiler

You can swap party members during battle now!

That's broken as hell! Now you can pull a Final Fantasy X and just have Peach pop out in emergencies!

Not that I would swap her out, she gets proper OP later on. Still, Mallow here promoted from "permanently benched" to "brought in when a new enemy comes along" Good for him!

Holy crap! Mallow might be the big winner here with the chain mechanic! Thanks to him, Mario just did over 500 damage to a mid game boss!

Yeah, I two shotted it. May have to rethink the Mario, Bowser, Peach setup...

Nabbed 4 stars and that's me done for the day. Game must be very short. I've only clocked 6 hours on it and I must be half or over halfway through it.

To be honest, I'm not really feeling it. It just feels like I'm going through the motions with very little, if any, push back. Game looks lovely though but those framerate issues/stuttering are very noticeable, especially in towns. Shame.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Game looks lovely though but those framerate issues/stuttering are very noticeable, especially in towns. Shame.

Disappointing to hear that. Didn't look too intrusive in the above video.

Thought this would be an auto-buy but with some reflection I realised nothing about it stayed with me from the Wii VC. Massive contrast to other 16-bit RPGs I also played after the fact as a virtue of being on this side of the pond.

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Disappointing to hear that. Didn't look too intrusive in the above video.

I never watched the video so I'm not sure what they said about the performance but its definitely noticeable. Bit weird that it happens mostly in towns as there's not much going on in them.

The more I read about it the less I want to give it a go.

Sounds like a game I would not enjoy.

Edited by drahkon

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The more I read about it the less I want to give it a go.

Sounds like a game I would not enjoy.

Nah. Certainly not for you.

• Thanks 1

Credits rolled.

Spoiler

Oh, man. New content! And it was a bit of an ordeal! That defense was sky high! Seems almost designed for someone who used Jump 256 times before hand. Only way you could do triple digits. A promising start!

EDIT: OK, wow! This second fight is actual ridic! Max level, best armour in the game, still get one shotted!

Edited by Glen-i

Just had the credits roll myself.

Spoiler

F_UieKdasAADfzF?format=jpg&name=large

F_UieKlawAA_MBr?format=jpg&name=large

F_UieJ7bsAAj7Ra?format=jpg&name=large

F_UiSDnbUAAVKAr?format=jpg&name=large

F_UiSDEbYAA9tpw?format=jpg&name=large

F_UiSDcbwAAprPP?format=jpg&name=large

F_UiSDIb0AECk5-?format=jpg&name=large

F_Uh13IbYAA-ybg?format=jpg&name=large

F_Uh12AbUAA0jQF?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, still not a huge fan of the game. Had I played the original when it was first released I may have had stronger feelings for this but as it stands, I still think it's an average game. The games that came after (Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi) are superior products and given that both are part of the Switch's subscription service, I would recommend playing those over this. Still, the game does look great and has bags of charm and imagine this is going to be the only way to play it now. I can't see the original being released any time soon.

Spoiler

OK, the new mechanics might have made the main game even easier then normal, but holy crap! You will need them for the new stuff. The game takes off the kiddy gloves and proceeds to slap you across the face repeatedly with them really, really hard! It all ends with an immensely satisfying pay-off for those who played the original!

Totally worth it! Loads of fun!

Spoiler

MtW6rLz.jpg

He did it! He finally became 3D!

That fight took me 42 turns, and apparently, that was slow.

So rude!

Edited by Glen-i

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I never did play Super Mario RPG back in the day. How does it compare to the Mario & Luigi rpgs?

Others may disagree but I think the Mario & Luigi games are far better. They have better narratives and funnier writing. The battle systems aren't that different but I just find that the M&L games are far more fun to play. Super Mario RPG is a short game and so if you did want t experience it at least it's not a huge time investment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I never did play Super Mario RPG back in the day. How does it compare to the Mario & Luigi rpgs?

Mario & Luigi (and Paper Mario) basically takes and improves the structure that Mario RPG laid down. Action Commands, humourous writing, Mario's signature weapon being a hammer, it all started here.

It's a significant game for that reason, but it will feel a bit basic compared to what came after.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this